Cobra Hoses?

I've been reading mixed reviews about cobra hoses. I love the idea of them and I'd like to order one with my first hookah. What cobra hoses would you recommend?

I'm ordering my first hookah from Hookah-Shisha soon, and I'd prefer to order the hose off the same site. These are the hoses I was looking at:

[url="http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-466-cobra-hookah-hoses.html"]Cobra Hoses[/url]

[url="http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-471-fifi-hookah-hoses.html"]Fifi Cobra Hoses[/url]

[url="http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-4167-spitting-cobra-hookah-hose.html"]Spitting Cobra Hoses[/url]

I don't want anything with a hard draw and I don't want anything that falls apart... I'm probably getting a Nammor hose packaged with my hookah so I will have a backup hose. On the other hand I'm afraid I'll end up favoring it if the cobra is bad. The less plastic-looking the hose is the better, I'm going for a more rustic look with my hookah.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Also: Does Hookah-Shisha regularly run out of stock on their items? It seems like half of what they sell is out of stock! Edited by delSol_si
Fixed hyperlinks

[quote name='Noxus' date='14 July 2010 - 09:09 PM' timestamp='1279156183' post='475070']
I've been reading mixed reviews about cobra hoses. I love the idea of them and I'd like to order one with my first hookah. What cobra hoses would you recommend?

I'm ordering my first hookah from Hookah-Shisha soon, and I'd prefer to order the hose off the same site. These are the hoses I was looking at:

[url=http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-466-cobra-hookah-hoses.html]Cobra Hoses

[url=http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-471-fifi-hookah-hoses.html] Fifi Cobra Hoses

[url=http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-4167-spitting-cobra-hookah-hose.html]Spitting Cobra Hoses

I don't want anything with a hard draw and I don't want anything that falls apart... I'm probably getting a Nammor hose packaged with my hookah so I will have a backup hose. On the other hand I'm afraid I'll end up favoring it if the cobra is bad. The less plastic-looking the hose is the better, I'm going for a more rustic look with my hookah.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Also: Does Hookah-Shisha regularly run out of stock on their items? It seems like half of what they sell is out of stock!
[/quote]

There's no such thing as a good cobra hose :-\

i agree...cobra hoses aren't the best...

but, if you're dead set on a cobra head type hose....HC has a nice one...

i don't have access to the website, but it's a gigantic handle with threads on the ends of the handle.....i actually picked one up while i was there...

it feels solid, but i've never used it yet...

I would really like a cobra but if they just aren't quality hoses then other suggestions for decorative hoses would be awesome. How long do unwashable hoses last?

Also, does anyone keep extra hoses on their hookah just for decoration? You can just use autoseal and the smoke will be the same right? I like the 3 hose hookahs but are those more novelty or are they useful for parties?

not sure what you mean by decorative hoses, but John's narbish is pretty fancy pants...the new rainbow KM hoses (called 2010 KM hoses on HJ's site, i think and 74" long handle on HC) look pretty sweet. other not so run of the mill hoses are the elephant hoses, snake charmer hoses, and syrian camel hoses. if i had to choose between those listed, i'd probably get the 2010 KM hoses.

a quality unwashable should last quite a while if you take care of it....i know Codename and Eric said they've owned a few unwashables for years!

And for the rest of your questions....No. Sorta. Novelty.

Anyone have any experience with this one? (Green/Yellow Velvet Hose)

http://saharasmoke.com/store/catalog/Large-Velvet--Gold-Hookah-Hose-p-16183.html

I have no experience with hookahs, but that tip looks hard to draw smoke through. I like the colors though and it's cheap...

Maybe I should just stick with the Nammor since all hoses are compared to it anyway. :)

I would think either the nammor or the 2010 Km hose. That thing is sweet. Plus as they have mentioned the new narbishes are tight as well. And I gotta go with Tyler unless you just want it for show I don't believe there is a good cobra hose.

I think I'll go with the standard Nammor then. You think someone would have put his mind to making a good cobra by now, seeing as how everyone thinks they look awesome. First person to make a good one will make a lot of money.

Maybe later down the road I'll make a custom hose for myself. Converting another hose and adding a hand-carved serpent head should be easy to do... It'd make a red hookah look really "evil". :)

Anyway, thanks for the replies!

go with the nammor. I bought one from HS a month or two ago and it has been SOOOOOO much better than the standard non-washable hose that came with my (unfortunately) no name hookah. Thinking of getting a mya qt, since it would be perfect for my dorm room

[quote name='liquidglass' date='15 July 2010 - 12:58 AM' timestamp='1279177086' post='475123']
If you want a decorative cobra hose I would look around i think social smoke or mnhookah had a really awesome one that looked like an actual cobra color and all.
[/quote]

[img]http://www.hookahimages.com/shop/media/images/product_xlarge/cobra_brown.jpg[/img]

Found it! They look pretty cool, but no review section on the site, so I think I'll pass (unless someone here has tried one).

Really disappointed that I couldn't find a good cobra. Does anyone know of any good "standard" hoses? (Just the brown/black hose and wood tip.) I know most of the Mya hoses look like this but I hear bad things about them. I want one with an easy draw that doesn't fall apart and is washable. Easy enough to find, but does anyone have any experience with them?

Something that looks like this:

[img]http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/pc/catalog/mya-wood-tip-hose-M.jpg[/img]

I am determined to get a good first hose, if you haven't noticed already. :)

Thanks again!

[quote name='Tyler' date='14 July 2010 - 07:27 PM' timestamp='1279157243' post='475073']
[/quote]

+1

Are you more interested in something that's decorated to actually look like a snake or the flattened, angled tip, i.e. fashion or function?

If your after the function of it, I'd recommend getting a Narbish v1 on the cheap from John then a custom blown, glass tip from Crown Hookah. You'll need to rebuild the narb v1, but while the construction of that release was crap, the materials were top notch. I prefer my chopped 'n' skrewed v1 over every other hose I own because of that.

The glass tips need no justification. They're simply amazing.

Oh, one other option is to build your own. You can buy cobra tips from Hookah Co. last time I checked. That way, you could throw that tip on a Nammor, Razan, Narbish, or old piece of garden hose.

I got them all... sell them to you SUPER CHEAP!!!!!!!!!

Cobra's aren't that bad, they just end up rusting a lot sooner than most hoses.

I personally don't like metal tips, but that's just my personal preference.

[quote name='ih303' date='15 July 2010 - 08:13 AM' timestamp='1279203216' post='475154']
[quote name='Tyler' date='14 July 2010 - 07:27 PM' timestamp='1279157243' post='475073']
[/quote]

+1

Are you more interested in something that's decorated to actually look like a snake or the flattened, angled tip, i.e. fashion or function?

If your after the function of it, I'd recommend getting a Narbish v1 on the cheap from John then a custom blown, glass tip from Crown Hookah. You'll need to rebuild the narb v1, but while the construction of that release was crap, the materials were top notch. I prefer my chopped 'n' skrewed v1 over every other hose I own because of that.

The glass tips need no justification. They're simply amazing.
[/quote]

I'd prefer a sculpted snake head but just having the cobra hood look is enough for me. It seems that there are three kinds of cobra; the carved and detailed cobra head, the plastic hood, and the bent tips. I can deal with minor flaws, I just want it to last a year at least. I heard of a way to clean a cobra that involves going to the gas station and forcing air through it at the compressor. I guess that won't help rusting though...

Do those glass tips fit on any hose or only the Narbish v1? Why would I be rebuilding the Narbish instead of using another hose?

[quote name='Toxik916' date='15 July 2010 - 02:44 PM' timestamp='1279230276' post='475249']
I hate cobra hoses. Damn things feel like you're smoking through a crazy straw.
[/quote]

lol i just mentally pictured trying to smoke through a really long ass crazy straw it was a lol moment.thank you for that

[quote name='Noxus' date='15 July 2010 - 05:25 PM' timestamp='1279236353' post='475257']
Do those glass tips fit on any hose or only the Narbish v1?
[/quote]

The only hoses I've used with glass tips are the Narbish and a Nammor. I'm pretty sure you could get a glass tip to work with most any premium hose, though.

[quote name='Noxus' date='15 July 2010 - 05:25 PM' timestamp='1279236353' post='475257']
Why would I be rebuilding the Narbish instead of using another hose?
[/quote]

If you compare a v4 Narb to a previous version, there are some pretty big differences. First, it's shorter (the hose portion, not the port-end). Second, it doesn't feel as substantial. Now I don't know if this is the type of hose it is or the thickness of the rope used in the wrappings, but the v4 definitely feels lighter. Third, the inner diameter of the tips on the v1 is noticibly larger, and as we all know, it's this diameter rather than the diameter of the actual hose that determines how the hose will smoke.

I'm not sure what happened with this hose. I know John had issues with earlier versions of the Narb. Let's see if I get all the evolutions:

v1 - riddled with quality issues
v2 - quality issues fixed but tips were glued in
v3 - same as v2 without glued in tips
v4 - COMPLETELY different feel with biggest, noticable improvement being the shortened port-end handle.

I don't know how many of you have bought or seen a Razan Abu Mahir, but I'm almost positive that the new Narbish is the exact same hose with different branding. This is fine with me since the Narb is cheaper than the Razan, but I always thought the Narbish was a slight step above the Abu Mahir because of the materials used. And THAT's why you should go with the Narbish v1.

Oh, and also because John doesn't have any more of the v2's or v3's. :)

Just a note here. If you do decide to go this route, let me give you some friendly advice. I have fixed many a Narbish at my lounge and have figured a few things out along the way.

1. Don't wait for the thing to break, just assume it will and take action accordingly.
2. Disassemble the ENTIRE hose. Remove all the wrappings, and cut through all the tape and glue unlit you're left with the covered hose, two plastic tubes, four crappy grommets, and a pile of rope.
3. Clean everything as best as you can to remove all old glue, tape, etc.
4. Chop the port-end tube to a length of about 3" using a pvc cutter, dremel, or hacksaw. The idea here is to be able to fit two grommets end-to-end where they make a tight fit against the ends of the tubing.
5. Start re-gluing - I have found superglue to work best. Remember to apply liberally.
6. Start re-taping - Once you've fit the freshly glued pieces together, start taping it using quality electrical tape. Make sure you stretch the tape to get it nice and tight. You should use the tape's conforming properties to ensure full contact and seal-integrity as much as possible, no matter what the shape or texture. Again, apply liberally. Taping while the glue is wet will ensure the glue will affix the components together tightly.
7. Re-decorate (Here's where you have some options) - If you like the rope wrapping, by all means, put it back on. However, if you go this route, I suggest spraying the tubing with some adhesive spray to help keep it from loosening. Keep in mind, though, that you can do whatever you want with this thing at this point including nothing (if you like that minimal look). On one of my custom fixes, I replaced the rope with a peice of leather (suede-side up) and secured it all with a bunch of contrasting sinew string (I live in South Dakota. This stuff is available everywhere here.) On another hose I did, I decided to wrap the tubing with cushioned grip-tape meant to be used on a tennis racket. I'm sure you could do the same with bicycle handlebar wrapping.

Anyway, I digress. Good luck, whatever you decide to do. :)

That's an interesting idea, but a little intimidating for me since I have zero hookah experience. After all, I'd like to smoke the thing when I get it. :) Might end up doing it though, just so I can customize the hose colors and all.

I might as well ask this in this thread:

Does anyone here prefer draw restriction or does everyone go for the "effortless" pull? I've heard of some people preferring a slight draw restriction to their hose...

[quote name='Noxus' date='16 July 2010 - 12:16 PM' timestamp='1279297009' post='475320']
That's an interesting idea, but a little intimidating for me since I have zero hookah experience. After all, I'd like to smoke the thing when I get it. :) Might end up doing it though, just so I can customize the hose colors and all.

I might as well ask this in this thread:

Does anyone here prefer draw restriction or does everyone go for the "effortless" pull? I've heard of some people preferring a slight draw restriction to their hose...
[/quote]

Depends on the hookah for me. With a Mya QT, I don't really like the Nammor size hoses, pull is too easy for a smaller hookah. I like mine right inbetween. Not like I'm breathing and not like I'm sucking through a straw. Slight resistance is perfect for me.

[quote name='liquidglass' date='18 July 2010 - 12:10 AM' timestamp='1279437055' post='475461']
I was refering to something more like this

[url="http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-4167-spitting-cobra-hookah-hose.html"]http://www.hookah-sh...ookah-hose.html[/url]
[/quote]

That has got to be the ugliest hose i have ever seen.

^ I think the concept is good. I don't like that it's not made of wood and the design is a little awkward. The hose tip coming out of the mouth doesn't look very good.

I think a cobra hose with a carved wooden head and no hose tip would look really good. Inlaid red eyes and a black head and body. Maybe that would look a little too much like Jafar's staff lol. That's the reason I wanted a cobra hose in the first place; to put it on a red hookah and make it look really evil. Something that would freak out people that have never seen a hookah before. XD I don't think they'd look half as good on a blue or green hookah.