This Really Gets Me Going

glad you came in and put your input in mush. def didnt start this thread thinking it would go this route and got a little iffy when it did but glad its stayed adult and not crossed the forum lines

[quote name='mushrat' date='02 July 2010 - 04:46 PM' timestamp='1278103576' post='473797']

Firstly, you are correct in reminding people that what we do with our hookahs aint exactly really traditional.

[/quote]

Shit guys, even on the tobacco front, mu'assal has only been around what, less than 30 years? How many of you would smoke hookah if all you had was 'Ajam/Tombak? Even Salloum and Zaghloul are recent. I for one, can say I wouldn't give a shit about hookah if that's all there was.

[quote name='ryno' date='02 July 2010 - 06:44 AM' timestamp='1278078250' post='473765']
many good points in this topic. I think so far I agree with everything that has been said so I won't type everything out. Maybe later when I'm not at work.

But, this is a free country (at least, its supposed to be) so as much as I hate people that use nht in their hookahs, it is their choice just like its our choice to use tobacco. I do hate it though when I tell people I smoke hookah and they say they love it, then find out I smoke tobacco, then always say thats nasty and a waste of a hookah. I usually tell them whatever and they can go fuck themselves :)
[/quote]

I like your attitude towards it. Thats the real American way, no sarcasm, for real. I totally agree with that, people can do what they want to do, and if they have a problem with what your doing then fuck them, and leave it at that. Very simple, and thats the way it should be :) .

[quote name='Dereksd' date='02 July 2010 - 04:16 PM' timestamp='1278109015' post='473806']
glad you came in and put your input in mush. def didnt start this thread thinking it would go this route and got a little iffy when it did but glad its stayed adult and not crossed the forum lines
[/quote]

agreed, i had no idea it would head this way, but i think people know not to overstep boundaries

[quote name='Dereksd' date='01 July 2010 - 05:25 PM' timestamp='1278023102' post='473655']
I seem to be seeing alot of movies featuring hookahs being used for nh usage and it really upsets me. its something that really tarnishes the tradition that we as hookah smokers have grown to love. it also seems to run rampant with alot of people i know who muddy their hookahs with this misuse and even after discussion with them they dont realize the stigma they are putting on us as normal hookah smokers. as someone who has had cops called out to their house due to smoking outdoors (everytime its happened the cops have been mad that they are called out and having their time wasted by flag blowing neighbors and seem to be very knowledgeable about hookah smoking) it really bugs me that i cant go to a park or the beach (since i live in san diego) without getting weird looks.

overall it just really pisses me off that movies seem to more often use hookahs in an unflattering and demeaning manner
[/quote]

I have to agree with this. I saw a scene in Zombieland (of all the movies) where this happened - and it pissed me off.
Although pretty much all my friends and people my age think hookah is the shit - my dad thinks I am crazy for smoking it.
And watching hookahs being used for NHT doesn't help me convince anyone that it's a tobacco only device. (for me)

As for taxation on NHT - you are right. Legalizing it and taxing the hell out of it wouldn't do anything for the economy. The government would just say, "Hey, lets just spend this money too." Even though it would be billions coming in, they wouldn't save a penny and we all know that. Congress spends like it has a credit card with no limit. Sooner or late it's going to come back and bite us in the ass.

Also - an interested documentary on NHT to watch is called "The Union." It talks a lot about how NHT growers actually don't want it legalized and regulated because they would make less money. Growers AND law enforcement both want this prohibition to continue? Talk about a screwed up system.
I know many of these documentaries are shit, but this is the only good one I have come across.

You know NHT was originally lobbied to be made illegal to protect timber industrialists Hearst and plastic industrialist Dupont because hemp (the "Billion Dollar Crop") was so much cheaper than timber and oil and could be used in many more applications. If a hemp market was allowed to thrive it would have put men like them out of business. It wasn't made illegal because of the drug aspect of it, originally, yet it has become to be so. I know it's a deviation of the topic but thought i'd share. I just wish scenes like the ones in zombieland would just use nht devices instead of sullying our hobby likely and using hookahs for that crap [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif[/img] Edited by kyleSD

[quote name='kyleSD' date='03 July 2010 - 08:32 PM' timestamp='1278203531' post='473914']
You know NHT was originally lobbied to be made illegal to protect timber industrialists Hearst and plastic industrialist Dupont because hemp (the "Billion Dollar Crop") was so much cheaper than timber and oil and could be used in many more applications. If a hemp market was allowed to thrive it would have put men like them out of business. It wasn't made illegal because of the drug aspect of it, originally, yet it has become to be so. I know it's a deviation of the topic but thought i'd share. I just wish scenes like the ones in zombieland would just use nht devices instead of sullying our hobby likely and using hookahs for that crap [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I do know. Which is further evidence of the inherent BS

[quote name='Hassouni' date='03 July 2010 - 05:54 PM' timestamp='1278204874' post='473917']
[quote name='kyleSD' date='03 July 2010 - 08:32 PM' timestamp='1278203531' post='473914']
You know NHT was originally lobbied to be made illegal to protect timber industrialists Hearst and plastic industrialist Dupont because hemp (the "Billion Dollar Crop") was so much cheaper than timber and oil and could be used in many more applications. If a hemp market was allowed to thrive it would have put men like them out of business. It wasn't made illegal because of the drug aspect of it, originally, yet it has become to be so. I know it's a deviation of the topic but thought i'd share. I just wish scenes like the ones in zombieland would just use nht devices instead of sullying our hobby likely and using hookahs for that crap [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I do know. Which is further evidence of the inherent BS
[/quote]

agreed

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Dereksd' date='01 July 2010 - 06:25 PM' timestamp='1278023102' post='473655']
as someone who has had cops called out to their house due to smoking outdoors (everytime its happened the cops have been mad that they are called out and having their time wasted by flag blowing neighbors and seem to be very knowledgeable about hookah smoking)
[/quote]

Wow that's lame. I can see where your coming from, if I brought a hookah somewhere out, most people would probably assume it was something else. Though you can smell the difference between shisha and NHT (Non-Hookah Tobacco) ridiculously easily.

Even if one of my neighbors was actually smoking NHT (Non-Hookah Tobacco) or whatever, I wouldn't call the cops on them anyway. People can do whatever they want in their own yards. Edited by camelflage
please read the rules.

• 2 weeks later...
I liked the style - the shots of the smoke were really cool. What was the lighting setup? Did you light the clouds of smoke from behind, or above? I liked the lighting of the interviews as well. Moody.

[URL="[url="http://www.blcrushers.com/"]http://www.blcrushers.com/[/url]"] jaw crushers[/URL]

[quote name='Dereksd' date='01 July 2010 - 05:25 PM' timestamp='1278023102' post='473655']
I seem to be seeing alot of movies featuring hookahs being used for nh usage and it really upsets me. its something that really tarnishes the tradition that we as hookah smokers have grown to love. it also seems to run rampant with alot of people i know who muddy their hookahs with this misuse and even after discussion with them they dont realize the stigma they are putting on us as normal hookah smokers. as someone who has had cops called out to their house due to smoking outdoors (everytime its happened the cops have been mad that they are called out and having their time wasted by flag blowing neighbors and seem to be very knowledgeable about hookah smoking) it really bugs me that i cant go to a park or the beach (since i live in san diego) without getting weird looks.

overall it just really pisses me off that movies seem to more often use hookahs in an unflattering and demeaning manner
[/quote]

im willing to bet its because the media is partially controlled by Cigarette business and they dont like people smoking Hookah and Not Cigs so they downplay it in society to make it less appealing to the masses??

......TOTALLY a shot in the dark but its a thought

Another unfortunate condition that is easy to miss, but has a great deal of bearing on NHT legalization/decriminalization is the fact many states are now holding large contracts with private prison companies. As bad as it seems, the reality of a system in which a state is bound by contract, to supply a minimum number of warm bodies to feed the private prisons, goes much deeper than one would think. Do you really thing they are going to eliminate one of the major sources of bodies to fill those prisons? To that end, at least one company was formed to operate private jails solely to capitalize on the $$ spent on the "war on NHT".

I think about any hookah smoker whom has enjoyed their hookah in a public place has at least one story of some jackass summoning johnnie-law on them, I know I have 3 good ones.