Eating Before You Sleep...

rhineholt

Is it really bad for you?
Like, if you have a snack or something before you fall asleep, do you actually get fatter from it?
My psych teacher said it doesn't, but he didn't really elaborate.
However, my gf, a nursing major, said in her nutrition class, they learned it does because your metabolism stops when you sleep.
I asked some more nursing majors and they gave me a different view. They said you can loose weight while sleeping, up to two pounds, if you sleep properly.
So what's your opinions?

[quote name='ryno' date='02 February 2010 - 03:47 PM' timestamp='1265147237' post='449243']
Either my metabolism is weird (it is really high), or I'm a freak of nature. I always eat before bed, and its usually alot too. Yet I'm 6ft 1 and maybe 150lbs.
[/quote]

Same here. I'm 6ft 2 and 160. I gained that 10 pounds in the past couple of monthes adjusting to college food... hha

For instance. last night before i went to bed I hate some chips, oreos (about 5) 2 glasses of milk, and ham, turkey and swiss sandwich and some potato salad. And this was all within an hour

[quote name='ryno' date='02 February 2010 - 03:47 PM' timestamp='1265147237' post='449243']
Either my metabolism is weird (it is really high), or I'm a freak of nature. I always eat before bed, and its usually alot too. Yet I'm 6ft 1 and maybe 150lbs.
[/quote]

[quote name='rhineholt' date='02 February 2010 - 03:49 PM' timestamp='1265147379' post='449244']
[/quote]

Same here. I'm 6ft 2 and 160. I gained that 10 pounds in the past couple of monthes adjusting to college food... hha
[/quote]

you both make me sick.

I look at food and start gaining weight.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Stuie' date='02 February 2010 - 04:56 PM' timestamp='1265147817' post='449247']
[/quote]

[quote name='rhineholt' date='02 February 2010 - 03:49 PM' timestamp='1265147379' post='449244']
[/quote]

[/quote]

you both make me sick.

[/quote]
+1

[quote name='ryno' date='02 February 2010 - 02:47 PM' timestamp='1265147237' post='449243']
[/quote]

Hell yeah! Perfect genes ftw
6 ft 3 and I've never been a pound over 160

[quote name='Stuie' date='02 February 2010 - 02:56 PM' timestamp='1265147817' post='449247']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

you both make me sick.

[/quote]

No kidding!!!!! How old ar you all?
Im 33 6'1and weigh 168--------its a god damn stuggle to keep it under 170.............I used to be 194............

I am down to 2 meals a day.

By the wya I know if I quite smoking I will gain 20 pounds right away!!!!!!!!!! Edited by shesha1

From what I've learned, you body burns 1 calorie per minute during sleep.

Sure, you can burn off what you eat before bed during sleep but what about the remaining calories in your system prior? Generally, not a good thing if you're susceptible to gaining weight. I'm 21, 5'10" 160lbs and used to weigh 190lbs and it's quite a struggle to stay in good health. I try not to eat before and just chug down a liter of water before sleep generally.

Well generally we're all taught to not eat before bed because your metabolism slows down. But there's a great way to beat it.

By working out from the research I've read your metabolism is boosted for 24 hours and of course greater boost straight away, so if you work out some at night to tire yourself out for bed it will boost your metabolism.

Not concrete but not a bad idea either.

[quote name='MechAnt' date='02 February 2010 - 11:57 PM' timestamp='1265180224' post='449368']
From what I've learned, you body burns 1 calorie per minute during sleep.

Sure, you can burn off what you eat before bed during sleep but what about the remaining calories in your system prior? Generally, not a good thing if you're susceptible to gaining weight. I'm 21, 5'10" 160lbs and used to weigh 190lbs and it's quite a struggle to stay in good health. I try not to eat before and just chug down a liter of water before sleep generally.
[/quote]

Myt god man if I chugged a liter of water before bed, I would be up all night pissing!!!!!!
I have to stop drinking 2 hours before bed.

Oh you youngins, I cant wait till your over 30.......................HAHAHAHA.
Time will get you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually there was an article recently looking at eating habits around the world and those that ate late like they do in Spain for instance weren't any heavier that those cultures that eat earlier. The doctors who did the review came to the final observation that no matter what it always comes back to calories in versus calories burned. There's no way around - however simple and unglamorous it might be, there just aren't any miracle diets or magic foods. It sucks but if being at a certain weight is important for whatever reason, then it's the only formula that works. And it doesn't matter when you take in those calories so long as you take in less than you burn.

'Rani

[quote name='Stuie' date='02 February 2010 - 01:56 PM' timestamp='1265147817' post='449247']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

you both make me sick.

[/quote]
+ ditto

ok...here we go...i'll try and address little points here and there...

-it's not the snack before that makes you gain weight....it's the sodas, burgers, fries, ice cream, and candy you ate throughout the day that does it....

-your psych teacher is right...sorta. your body requires a certain amount of calories to maintain it's weight....if you consistently exceed this amount, you'll start gaining weight...if you ate 1 sammich during the day then ate a full meal just before you slept, it wouldn't make a difference if you stayed under your maintenance calorie intake.

-tell your gf to ask for her money back from that nutrition class. your metabolism won't shut down unless you're extremely starved....however, it does slow down quite a bit while you're sleeping...while you're in REM sleep, your body has it's best chance to repair and build itself. so, in actuality, you're better suited to GAIN weight during sleep...provided you give your body enough fuel to do so.

-the other nursing majors are kinda right about losing weight when you sleep....however, that's due to your body going catabolic and feeding off itself since you're not eating. the other factor is sweating. we sweat during sleep and can lose quite a significant amount of weight just from sweating. there's no "proper" way to sleep to lose weight...

-ryan's a freak of nature

-for the average person, nutrional timing (eating or not eating during certain times) won't make a difference

-i dunno if 6' or above and < 160lbs is perfect genes....at that height, i'd like to be on the higher side of 190lbs...

-no such thing as burning off what you ate prior to sleep....excess calories are excess calories, no matter what time they're consumed...if you didn't eat enough during the day, your body will use any calories you've consumed before you went to sleep during your sleep.

-liquidglass is right....there are some arguments as to what exercise is more beneficial (high intensity/weight training vs light medium cardio)...but, both are better than not doing anything...

-Rani's right as well...

there's a lot more details that aren't discussed....but, if "weight" is your concern, maintanence calories and calories in vs calories should be your main concerns. if you're more concerned about body composition, there's quite a bit more information that you need to consider... Edited by Arcane

[quote name='Rani' date='03 February 2010 - 02:08 PM' timestamp='1265227700' post='449525']
Actually there was an article recently looking at eating habits around the world and those that ate late like they do in Spain for instance weren't any heavier that those cultures that eat earlier. The doctors who did the review came to the final observation that no matter what it always comes back to calories in versus calories burned. There's no way around - however simple and unglamorous it might be, there just aren't any miracle diets or magic foods. It sucks but if being at a certain weight is important for whatever reason, then it's the only formula that works. And it doesn't matter when you take in those calories so long as you take in less than you burn.

'Rani
[/quote]
Do you by any chance have a source? I could use this.

[quote name='Arcane' date='03 February 2010 - 06:17 PM' timestamp='1265242651' post='449564']
ok...here we go...i'll try and address little points here and there...

-it's not the snack before that makes you gain weight....it's the sodas, burgers, fries, ice cream, and candy you ate throughout the day that does it....

-your psych teacher is right...sorta. your body requires a certain amount of calories to maintain it's weight....if you consistently exceed this amount, you'll start gaining weight...if you ate 1 sammich during the day then ate a full meal just before you slept, it wouldn't make a difference if you stayed under your maintenance calorie intake.

-tell your gf to ask for her money back from that nutrition class. your metabolism won't shut down unless you're extremely starved....however, it does slow down quite a bit while you're sleeping...while you're in REM sleep, your body has it's best chance to repair and build itself. so, in actuality, you're better suited to GAIN weight during sleep...provided you give your body enough fuel to do so.

-the other nursing majors are kinda right about losing weight when you sleep....however, that's due to your body going catabolic and feeding off itself since you're not eating. the other factor is sweating. we sweat during sleep and can lose quite a significant amount of weight just from sweating. there's no "proper" way to sleep to lose weight...

-ryan's a freak of nature

-for the average person, nutrional timing (eating or not eating during certain times) won't make a difference

-i dunno if 6' or above and < 160lbs is perfect genes....at that height, i'd like to be on the higher side of 190lbs...

-no such thing as burning off what you ate prior to sleep....excess calories are excess calories, no matter what time they're consumed...if you didn't eat enough during the day, your body will use any calories you've consumed before you went to sleep during your sleep.

-liquidglass is right....there are some arguments as to what exercise is more beneficial (high intensity/weight training vs light medium cardio)...but, both are better than not doing anything...

-Rani's right as well...

there's a lot more details that aren't discussed....but, if "weight" is your concern, maintanence calories and calories in vs calories should be your main concerns. if you're more concerned about body composition, there's quite a bit more information that you need to consider...
[/quote]
Thanks jay. This really helps.
You got all the points that I wanted answered.

[quote name='Codename067' date='03 February 2010 - 06:28 PM' timestamp='1265243326' post='449567']
It's an Urban Myth. Eating late has nothing to do with it!

And man some of you six footers need some muscle weight! I am 5'10 and I am around 175 now.
[/quote]
I like my skinny frame thank you very much! hahah

A couple doctors at the University I work for did some research about myths and the holidays: http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/12/18/holiday.myths/index.html

One of the myths is eating before bed makes you fat.

[quote name='rhineholt' date='03 February 2010 - 07:33 PM' timestamp='1265254427' post='449594']
[quote name='Rani' date='03 February 2010 - 02:08 PM' timestamp='1265227700' post='449525']

'Rani
[/quote]
Do you by any chance have a source? I could use this.

[/quote]

It was an internet article reported by a new agency that was on my default page for a while. But I honestly don't remember which new agency. Maybe a Google search on various applicable key words, because I'm sure it's still out there in the ozone somewhere.

'Rani

I'm 6'1" and weigh roughly 215 pounds. Before I came to college I weighed 165 pounds, but that's because I was training to try out for the University soccer team. I got to college, didn't make the team and got lazy, that's how I gained the weight.

I don't recommend eating greasy, high calorie foods before sleep, but we've all done that before, myself included. The only real way to lose weight and keep it off is to pair a diet with an exercise plan, that way you burn more calories than you intake on a daily basis. I wouldn't worry about counting calories though, you should know what foods to stay away from if you're dedicated to a diet anyway.

I'm still guilty of eating late. Don't worry too much about it, as long as you don't do it on a regular basis you should be fine.