Oh Bollocks - Crack In Glass, What Can I Do?

My basically irreplaceable trumpet base appears to have a hairline crack it towards the top. It isn't deep and everything intact, but I really can't lose this base.  Is there any way I can keep it from getting worse, some kind of, I dunno, glass glue or sealant?

looks like 1 of those hairline scratches that spread overtime. IDK if epoxy can fix it. w epoxy you'd put it on the outside bit the hairline crack can still spread. Also it will stain your base and it won't look as good w glass epoxy only way to use epoxy on glass is if it comes off cleanly and you apply every side of the glass you piece together. also you'd need adhesive tape on top of the epoxy which was applied to hold it for a good few hours before taking the tape of. Still i'm not sure if something like this can be repaired unless the glass comes off cleanly and gets reattached. I could be wrong though. 

Glass epoxy is made for this, it's able to create a strong enough bond between the glass to prevent cracks from spreading. I used it on an old Egyptian base about a year or so ago and is still going strong. I sold a full setup to my cousin, which included that base, and it's still holding up. (He's not exactly gentle on it mind you) 

Should be able to find it at Hobby Lobby Chris, I believe that's where I bought mine. 

Just be sure to not let too much bleed out from the crack and overflow, as there's pretty much no way to get rid of it after it's dried. 

I 2nd the glass glue, I did it with a turkish crystal base and it worked like a beauty. I sold it to a friend and he still uses it and I touched it up with epoxy glass glue about a year ago. Also it is the only base he uses so it gets quite a bit of use.

And now we have a solution to cracked glass. I love this place. :) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

I had a cheap crappy trumpet that I tossed because of a crack like that around the bottom.  Now I wish I had kept it.  It had a nice wide footprint.

I use Aquarium glue/epoxy, its made especially for waterproof seals without using toxic chemicals so it doesn't harm the fish (or you in this case. lol)

But yeah any glass epoxy should work just make sure its clear and waterproof

Aquarium epoxy is so overpriced. I use a "bathroom & kitchen" clear epoxy for rebuilding aquariums, just make sure it does NOT have any mold & mildew protection, anything of that sort. I did not read the fine print and set up a 29 gallon tank with "mold protection" epoxy, nearly killed all of my corals.