Coal Explosion!?

I lit some coals to get an afternoon smoke session going. I place said coals in the carrier on the counter while I get the hookah in position - as I was just about to move one of the coals popped out of the carrier and exploded sending bits on the floor. WTH???

a)I'm thankful I was standing there at the time because I was about to be.
b)also thankful it was in the kitchen and landed on tile and not furniture/carpet or pets
b)what causes that?

I was using Coconara Cubes. I had 3 in the carrier but only one went boom.

Literal explosion? Or was it like sparking off? Cause at times when my natural lights aren't lit through fully they will pop off a spark here or there when removed from the burner. Very weird though. What is the carrier made of?

Did you happen to soak your coal in kerosene? :P

[quote name='A13lackFish' timestamp='1317327912' post='525648']
Literal explosion? Or was it like sparking off? Cause at times when my natural lights aren't lit through fully they will pop off a spark here or there when removed from the burner. Very weird though. What is the carrier made of?

Did you happen to soak your coal in kerosene? :P
[/quote]

exploded into 4 pieces. the carrier is made of aluminum or some sort of metal. I got one them official type ones from hookahcompany

Hmm i've only really ever had that happen then with quick lights. Maybe you just got a "dud" coal? Did it happen with any of the others?

[quote name='A13lackFish' timestamp='1317328230' post='525653']
Hmm i've only really ever had that happen then with quick lights. Maybe you just got a "dud" coal? Did it happen with any of the others?
[/quote]

nope. the others are fine and I'm using them now. It was a new box of coals too. Hopefully it was just the one dud in the box

I know with qls sometimes if theyre poorly made (factory error or something I guess) sometimes they pop into pieces, the pop is somtimes just a loud crack and it falls apart, other times its a pretty powerful burst like you described. I have had this happen with qls around 10 times in the 4 years that ive been smoking shisha, both at home and even in a lounge. It seems totally random tho, so I imagine it could also happen with natural coals, my guess is it might be like an air pocket inside the coal if its a factory error and as it heats up the gas expands and after a short while the coal cant take it and pops, but I cant say it for sure, havent really thought about it much...

I've seen this happen with both natural and quick light coals. As is the consensus here, I've been told this is from air pockets but never knew the exact explanation, so thanks costi. Pretty scary when it does happen though, makes me glad I smoke outside most of the time.

Yeah, also should make you glad that you weren't waiting for them on the stove at the time. We had one of our coconut coals pop off some chunks while on the burner in the kitchen. Naturally being the college students we are we keep a nice cardboard box next to our stove on the side that the burner is on... you can imagine the fright that gave us when we came back to see a chunk of ember sitting at the bottom of the box.... o.O

heh, you should have seen when one of my employees put a slightly lit exotica back in a cast iron cauldron with about a kilo and a half of broken up coals next to the burner. I was off that night but i ended up getting sent a picture of the entire thing involved, as in the kilo and a half on fire...

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1317338813' post='525692']
as in the kilo and a half on fire...
[/quote]

o.O

[quote name='squidget' timestamp='1317327129' post='525645']
I lit some coals to get an afternoon smoke session going. I place said coals in the carrier on the counter while I get the hookah in position - as I was just about to move one of the coals popped out of the carrier and exploded sending bits on the floor. WTH???

a)I'm thankful I was standing there at the time because I was about to be.
b)also thankful it was in the kitchen and landed on tile and not furniture/carpet or pets
b)what causes that?

I was using Coconara Cubes. I had 3 in the carrier but only one went boom.
[/quote]

lol that isnt anything man... i was making smoke grenades the other day and the whole pot of my formula exploded in my front yard!.... talk about some scary shit!

but i have had coals explode too... once at my aunts house it burnt a whole in her carpet... :X... :wallbash: way to be sneaky right? now wonder she doesnt have me house sit anymore

[quote name='cotsi95' timestamp='1317335471' post='525665']
Air pocket in the coal. Air heats up, causes expansion, creates pressure inside the coal, pop coal goes flying.
[/quote]

Makes sense - thanks for the explanation. Was still pretty damn scary. Hopefully will not happen again anytime soon.

[quote name='Hellz' timestamp='1317329519' post='525657']
The terrorists are getting to our coals now!
[/quote]

I just nearly died of laughter.

i have had this happen on multiple occasions, on all different brands of coals most common is coconut coals happends often i found out that its all about the pressure o how you grab it and how they are stored, if they are in a moist area for a while before lit they will crap and air will get in to the coals and cause it also how hard you grab them and i've had them just on the hookah and pop and shatter landing on my arm and clothing, also blowing on them while lit due to the air and carbon monoxide will help it heat and burst so yah just gotta be smart with them fun fact!