Hookah Peeves

Soooo, as I'm smoking a sample of Royality Tobacco from HookahJohn...i start to notice there are some things I don't like about smoking hookah.

1) Trying new flavors/brands and finding out you don't like them.
- I don't mind spending the money, but let's face it. We all try new brands/flavors in hopes of liking it. We don't go around and buy something and say, "I hope this sucks, so I won't have to buy it again." It's just a bummer when we try something new and it isn't our thing.

2) Breaking in new hoses
- I didn't realize this was a peeve of mine, until just now. I'm two sessions in with my new Tamseh hose and barely getting rid of that funky new hose taste. I remember breaking in my KM, Razan, and Grand Caravan hoses...and didn't like the process one bit.

I agree with you on breaking in a new hose.

And also, I just realized that I just spent alot of money and 50 gram samples to see what kind I like the best and I've tried about 10 and will only buy 3 again.... Starbuzz definetly is not included in the one that I would buy again.

hear ya on trying starbuzz.. even the 100g cans are outrageously expensive, far from sample prices. $12 is alot to pay for 100g of something that you may or may not like.. For example, while I did enjoy their Black Grape, it was nowhere NEAR worth the price, and I would never buy it again. Layalina's grape is much better and cheaper (not saying this is the bomb grape, just that it's alteast enjoyable for the price range)

Other hookah peeves..

People smoking cigs around my hookah, trying to ash in my tray, light off of charcoal.

My cat trying to knock over my hookah by rubbing up on it.. Little bastard has almost tipped it, and dropped coals off one time..

QUOTE (Barnaby @ Aug 6 2009, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hear ya on trying starbuzz.. even the 100g cans are outrageously expensive, far from sample prices. $12 is alot to pay for 100g of something that you may or may not like.. For example, while I did enjoy their Black Grape, it was nowhere NEAR worth the price, and I would never buy it again. Layalina's grape is much better and cheaper (not saying this is the bomb grape, just that it's alteast enjoyable for the price range)

Other hookah peeves..

People smoking cigs around my hookah, trying to ash in my tray, light off of charcoal.

My cat trying to knock over my hookah by rubbing up on it.. Little bastard has almost tipped it, and dropped coals off one time..

I agree. This chick tried ashing in my tray and I go "Hey, its not for cigarettes, its for the hookah." She looks at me funny and i'm like "Im not kidding, dont do it."

People who smoke a hookah like it's something else.

People who I invite over bringing people without asking.

Fumari Bags. I don't get any messier packing a bowl than when I pull it out Fumari.

1) Having to correct my friends over and over when they try to place the coals.

2) Having to light new coals. (coco's)

3) When you get a bad batch of shisha but still feel like you have to smoke it just because you dont want to throw away your money.

4) One of my friends constantly almost pulling over the pipe or loosening my hose.

5) When the clouds aren't huge.

Just to name a few... On a side note My friends and I love to ash our cigars on the tray! Its really handy and cool looking tongue.gif

The only real pet peeve I can think of now is when people who I invite over to smoke with me just pick up my tongs and move the coals around without asking first, even if the smoke isn't harsh or I've moved the coals recently myself...I get that they're trying to be helpful, and if I were a beginner and didn't understand heat management it wouldn't irk me, but I have my way of doing things and it sort of gets on my nerves when people assume I don't know how to do it myself or just like moving the coals for no goddamn reason.

Ya, I guess my pet peeves are people fucking with my coals, people trying to ash their ciggs in my tray, and drunk fuckers stumbling into my hookah and giggling about it. I've learned to A. hide my tongs, B. try to sit away from cigg smokers and C. keep my hookah VERY close to me (as in right next to me) if drunk people are around.

the only thing that irks me are those who wait till they get the hose passed to them to decide they want to tell a big long story while hogging the hose

QUOTE (Crys @ Aug 6 2009, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the only thing that irks me are those who wait till they get the hose passed to them to decide they want to tell a big long story while hogging the hose

agreed

people yanking on the hose (i practically sit forward so i can be ready to grab the hookah when it tips cuz of my idiot friends, so now i can barely enjoy a session anymore)

people telling me what mixes to do rather than just giving suggestions

people who suggest other uses for the hookah

people who talk down about hookah in the middle of a session

people come over ask me to set up a hookah (most of the time they ask at the worst time when i don't want to set one up) take two hits from the hookah, pass it, i puff it then pass it back to them, and they say nah i'm all set ... its like WTF i just set up a hookah specifically for YOU and you take two hits and your done ... lame.

Dumb girls I don't know moving around the coals on MY damn hookah biggrin.gif "Your making it harsh girlie, lemme"

Only new hose I've had to break in (get rid of the plastic flavor) is the H-J Narbish.

Drunk people smoking on hookah, like, really drunk..women are worse since they talk with their hands HOLDING the hose, so I need to be grabbing the base the whole time.

Packing a bowl, and it sucks, so instead of wasting coals, I take 2 minutes to switch it out biggrin.gif

Packing up a nice bowl of tang, having a GREAT 3-4 coal session, then cleaning it up notice I probably overpacked it cause juice in thick quantities is built up running DOWN the outside of the phunnel, hahahah. Coulda been better smile.gif

In addition to all the above, I hate having to explain hookah to people who are not familir with it. The obvious questions always come first, then the physics of how it works, and then after alllll that, they won't try it.

You don't put a condom on unless you're gonna fuck. If you're going to ask the questions, at least try it! wallbash.gif

QUOTE (Stuie @ Aug 6 2009, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People who I invite over bringing people without asking.

I think thats a given, anyways. I've had that happen to me before (and the uninvited person I knew nothing about! other than his name I'd never met him before) and it pisses me off like no other.

I think it might be better to smoke by myself, anyways. And I don't trust them to not break my hookah anyways. tongue.gif

my pet peeves
1 hose hogs, puff puff pass dammit lol
2 dumb people who try to mess with my coals
3 people who invite all their friends over to hookah at my place when i said i didnt want anyone else, then i have the job of telling everyone to go home and end up looking like the bad guy, even though they are the ones being disrespectful
4 having people tell me that hookah is so bad for me that im a horrible person for smoking and that they hope i die young, to those people i tell them the eff off lol its my life and choice get over it.
5 my biggest peeve, when my family comes around my parents have kindly asked me not to smoke in front of them because of the fact that dont want me to impart some bad influence on them, which i understand and respect so i dont smoke in front of them, thats not the peeve part lol but the peeve about when my family comes is that all my aunt does is lecture me when she sees my stuff in my room and tell me how horrid of a person i am and that shes wishes that id choke on my hose, and i have to sit there and bite my tongue, shes lets just say a bitch

I think he was just trying to make a point on that it is what people ask him, instead asking "What are you smoking", but then again, a ban is up to the discretion of the mods, we can debate it all we want though, within reason smile.gif Edited by ashes87

QUOTE (ashes87 @ Aug 6 2009, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think he was just trying to make a point on that it is what people ask him, instead asking "What are you smoking", but then again, a ban is up to the discretion of the mods, we can debate it all we want though, within reason smile.gif

Unfortunately there's no room for debate.

2) Do not discuss substances that are illegal in the United States. This is a US based forum and we follow US laws. See the seperate Stickie for specifics on Illegal Substances. You must be of legal smoking age in your home country to be a member of the Forum. Do not post pictures that include illegal substances or devices for smoking illegal substances. the only exception to this rule is in discussions reguarding hookah misconceptions or problems you've had while smoking your hookah. In this situation use the terms NH for a non-hookah device and NHT for non-hookah tobacco. Any other use of these terms will be considered a violation of the rules.