What Coals Do You Use?

What type of coal do you use? Ive used many. I started with the quick light "fireworks" coal and it left a bad taste in my mouth...literally. Nowadays I use the silver square coals or natural coals. I love the no coal taste with the naturals but I hate the snowstorm of when I need to ash them. So, does anyone know where to get "larger" silver coals? I use like 8 during a smoking session and was wondering if anyone knows of someone that makes bigger ones?

I have used Three Kings, Starlights, and Golden Lights as quick lights.

I have used easy-lite jap coal (which is what you are refering to as the silver coated stuff)

I have also used Nour natural coal.

I prefer Three Kings to portibility, Jap Coal if I need to do intensive heat management (i.e. tangiers) and I use natural coal if I am having a 4 hour smoke session.

taqseem stargate natural coals. i have tried pretty much every coal you can buy and these are the best if you willing to deal with the little extra work of natural coals (ashing more often, longer/harder to lite)

I have used three types of coal (quicklight, Japanese and finger) and they are all alright as long as they are burning properly (i.e. the whole piece of coal is bright red!). But my personal favourite is Japanese one. They burn nicely (not too hot so the tobacco doesn't get burnt easily) and each cube last about an hour. They are also easily break into neat pieces until the finger coal.

From my experience, the Canary Japanese Golden Charcoals are #1 in terms of taste and performance. They seem to burn at the perfect temperature and don't affect the taste of the tobacco at all.

Three Kings are what I normally use, just because I can't afford to keep buying the Golden Japs. They're alright...

I've used Golden Canary's ( they were alright, not nearly as good as I expected), Natural Coals( my absolute favorite but they ash a TON) and three kinds(these are very easy to use but sadly you can taste them).

So number one in my book are natural coals. I would strictly use them if I didnt make a huge mess with the ashes when I use them : /.

Natural coals are by far the best way to smoke, followed by the Japanese Coals, then the logs or finger coals, and lastly quick lites. It also depends on the situation, if all you have is a lighter, you are stuck with quick lights, and as long as they are fully lit before you put them on the bowl they work out pretty well. Natural coals take a while to get fully lit, but produce the best taste. This is all from my experience, they all serve their purpose. Just depends on how sensitive you are to your flavors, and how you work the coals.

QUOTE (ghostofdavid @ Feb 19 2007, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've never been able to taste the three king coals that I have. Do you guys still have your three kings boxes? I would check them to make sure they aren't cheap knock offs being sold as three kings.

I never tasted them until I started using Canary's and Naturals. It not a terrible taste, it's just noticable after using better coals.

Ran out of 3K, using something that says "www.chineseshisha.com" on the side of it. I got desperate ok? I know better than to use anything that advertises itself to be Chinese when it involves hookah... Anyway, they do burn a long time, but it takes forever to get fully red, and they taste terrible sad.gif

I have used 3K, Golden(rounds disc), Golden Charcoal (japs), Coconut, Olive Wood,and I have lemon wood that I haven't used yet.

My favorite is the Coconut that Hookahcompany.com used to carry angry.gif . I wished they still carried them. They were packed like the Japanese coals where your could break them off.

Golden and 3K are good quick lights, but I prefer naturals.

And Olive wood coal was just nasty sad.gif .

I've used 3 Kings, Golden Quicklights, Nours, and their triangle twin; Al Ajdad

I agree with a previous post that the quicklights don't really light THAT much faster than the naturals. Yes, they're a piece of cake to light using a lighter, however by the time you wait for them to be fully grayed over (i.e. fully lit), it's taken just as long as it would take me to get a natural bright red all over on a stove top.

Now that I've used the naturals, I can definitely taste the difference with the quicklights.. I prefer golden's over 3 Kings, although I can taste both compared to the naturals.

I've tried alot of different type of coals. I like my Cocnut coals.But you need to have some xtra time for those. I've tried three kings the fakes and the real deal. Those are ok they are very crumbly. I've tried Golden.But those you may loose a eye or diffinatly get burned. The fingers all brands are pretty good. I like Starlight brand. They really have no odor. But recently I've been all about the Three Eagle Silver Coated Bars. These are not a quick light but you won't have to wait forever either. They release hardly any odor at first but then burn supper clean. You do have to wait for the silver coating to flake away all away. But other than that. They rock.But please for the love of god. Don't use Kings Ford Charcoal. It just bad. Good luck
Smiley biggrin.gif