hello old friend hf

So after a long break, i decided to come back to the hobby. Smoking some lucid apricot right now. I did pick up a lotus ( everyone on reddit loves em) and so far it gives great clouds with out having to ssplit coals anymore. I am going to limit sessions this time around. Smoking 2+ times a day was just costing way to much money. Hope to be more active here as well.

Welcome back! I'm a big fan of my lotus. I used a 3/32" drill bit and drilled out a bunch of holes in the bottom plate of mine to increase airflow/reduce CO buildup and i've been really happy since doing that.

Welcome back! I'm a big fan of my lotus. I used a 3/32" drill bit and drilled out a bunch of holes in the bottom plate of mine to increase airflow/reduce CO buildup and i've been really happy since doing that.

​Do you leave or make a hole in the center of the Lotus?

And welcome back Lunchbox!

Edited by thehelios

​Do you leave or make a hole in the center of the Lotus?

And welcome back Lunchbox!

​I left mine stock. I didn't know people drilled into them. Do you have pics of it now Aeon?

I've been meaning to get around to taking pictures of it for about a year now hahah. I'll try and get to it soon.

I don't drill the center out, because I'm using phunnels, but I don't think it would make much of a difference anyways. If you flip it over and look at the bottom, I basically drill out anywhere there is space between the little bumps and the slots around the outside.

Okay, I decided to get on this as soon as I got home. Hopefully this helps clarify what I have done. In my opinion, it's pretty logical when you look at how we've smoked with foil for years and then look at a lotus. Why they never did this in the first place baffles me.

http://imgur.com/a/Ui710

Edit: pardon the little fibres of paper towel in the holes, I gave it a quick wash and wipe down and didn't do a "final clean" on it.

Edited by â€On

Okay, I decided to get on this as soon as I got home. Hopefully this helps clarify what I have done. In my opinion, it's pretty logical when you look at how we've smoked with foil for years and then look at a lotus. Why they never did this in the first place baffles me.

http://imgur.com/a/Ui710

Edit: pardon the little fibres of paper towel in the holes, I gave it a quick wash and wipe down and didn't do a "final clean" on it.

​Awesome! It does seem more consistent with how foil is used.

Señor traditionalist here - what's a lotus, the Kaloud thing?

​Indeed.  I can't get it to smoke as well as when using foil but setup and cleanup is sooooooo much easier.

​Indeed.  I can't get it to smoke as well as when using foil but setup and cleanup is sooooooo much easier.

​ most of you guys are experts already with the old fashion way that you could get the same cloud/flavor that a kaloud lotus does. Seems like alot of members have also given up the hobby? or at least cruisin the forum??

I just basically don't smoke indoors anymore, so it means it has to wait for warm weather...which is hitting now....but I was never a daily smoker anyway

​Too light? Too harsh? I find you have to view coal and heat management with the lotus as, like, preemptive? With foil, what you do is pretty much instantly noticeable. With the lotus it takes at least a couple minutes, so if it gets too hot, it's going to be too hot for much longer because of the metal heat retention. I think that's the trickiest part of using one. However, my "hack" of drilling holes increases the airflow around the coals a bit, which means you can regulate heat a bit easier as well.

​ most of you guys are experts already with the old fashion way that you could get the same cloud/flavor that a kaloud lotus does. Seems like alot of members have also given up the hobby? or at least cruisin the forum??

​I think there are tons of people who have given up on it, for sure, and the hookah world has certainly quieted down, but I also feel that there was just a lot of hype stuff a few years back that was capitalizing on hookah being popular...while not actually being great products. 

I just basically don't smoke indoors anymore, so it means it has to wait for warm weather...which is hitting now....but I was never a daily smoker anyway

​ still smoking those elmas??

​Too light? Too harsh? I find you have to view coal and heat management with the lotus as, like, preemptive? With foil, what you do is pretty much instantly noticeable. With the lotus it takes at least a couple minutes, so if it gets too hot, it's going to be too hot for much longer because of the metal heat retention. I think that's the trickiest part of using one. However, my "hack" of drilling holes increases the airflow

​I think there are tons of people who have given up on it, for sure, and the hookah world has certainly quieted down, but I also feel that there was just a lot of hype stuff a few years back that was capitalizing on hookah being popular...while not actually being great products. 

​ Very true. Seems like the light has now shifted to vaping or e-cig related products.