Greetings, All!

Hope everything is going real well over here. Been terrifically busy. Lots of R&D switching the Lucid Flavors (that will remain) over to the Birquq line. Still some testing to do. I've lightened my work load somewhat by hiring an accountant to do all the time-sucking, worrisome things I hate doing. Gives me more time to do fun stuff. 

We have four new flavors in the pipeline and then several more in development. 

I completed a monumental work reviewing hookahs. My question is: is anything worth buying other than a KM? As many of you know, the quality of KM shanks has been in decline, the quality of KM glasses has been in decline, so I wanted to take a survey of legitimate (or even illegitimate) manufacturers other than KM. An additional aside, the civil war that continues to rage in and around the other center of hookah manufacture, Damascus, has dried up an important source of good quality hookahs. It used to be KM or Syrian? Now its just KM?

There are 75 pics of different hookahs. I was going to post up in the reviews section here, but the sheer complexity of it, and the additional question of do I have that much upload ability any more? :) I checked, I do, but it would take another 6 hours, I'm sure. 

Here is a link to the hookah review thread: http://www.tangiers.us/index.php?showtopic=12220&p=72347

I put it in a public forum, so you don't need to be signed in as a member to check it out. 

Other than that, how have you been all doing?

I talked to Mushy the other day by text...I assume you all wished him a happy birthday?! :)

From what i can tell all is good here.

I have been waiting for those hookah reviews to come out, I was curious to see what you thought of everything.  And i have noticed the decline is pipes quality a lot. even in there more "top of the line" type of pipes. 

but i am ready for more flavours!

I'm doing alright, excited for the switch from lucid to birquq.

Interesting info on other hookahs, mz pipes are pretty sweet, I had one at one point, or a really good knock off of one.

Nice reviews man, I have always been a fan of MZ mainly bc of the responsive pull they produce. Any chance we will see reviews from you on turk pipes?

Styling is definitely subjective and I know many don't like the welded and sanded sides but in terms of quality, durability, the pull, etc, I have found they are top notch.

Did you get my pm I sent you?

Turkish pipes? Heh. We'll see. They tend towards being ridiculous in price or low in quality. I'd stick with a KM or an MZ given what I've seen on Turkish pipes. Certainly Syrian pipes, although not in plenitude right now are a better value. 

Send me a link of something reasonable and I'll poke around. I don't know anybody who's importing Turkish Pipes in masse, which suggests that the value isn't there. Too expensive for what you get. 

Besides, what's up with some of the bigger brands not having vents?! Lots of the Turkish pipes I've seen remind me of Northern Syrian hookahs, which unlike Damascene Syrian Hookahs are disappointing. 

In short, I don't see the charm of Turkish hookahs. I have two and neither one makes it. They are relatively scarce on the wholesale market, which does interest me slightly.

Yeah they are expensive, I order Elmas pipes from Nargilestore personally.

By vent I assume you mean purge. I don't see the point of them though. Whether I am smoking tang, nakhla, black tobacco, or whatever, if you know your heat management you NEVER need to purge. I truly can say I don't purge. When I smoke my KM's, or nawras pipes I don't purge either. So to me, it is one less thing to clean and or break.

If you are a beginner, then sure, a pipe without a purge would not really be an option. But once you know what you are doing, I personally think a purge is not necessary.

Which 2 turk pipes do you have, what brands?

I would be shocked if you did not rate Elmas pipes very well. The only issue I have found with them, is their smaller pipes sometimes have a crooked tray rest, so you have to put tape on the bottom of the tray to make it sit straight, other than that, they appear to be very consistent, solid, and pull wonderfully.

Here is a video of elmas's shop in izmir. If you watch the whole thing he shows a bunch of pipes, especially at the end he scans through the shopping windows in the front of the store with a bunch of "kafesli" pipes and some of the bigger pipes as well.

i love my turkish pipes, they are durable and beautiful. and they smoke great, but i do enjoy my KM's  and my myas and my new al fakher. but id like to see some turk reviews if you could. if not im not gonna complain i like what you did and how you went in real good detail. 

but with my hookahs i dont really purge either.  my bowls dont get hot or nasty.

I have no idea what brand the two I have are. One has a Syrian type head port and the other one has a metal base (no glass). I've looked at Elmas Hookahs on-line and didn't like the cast lines and lack of vent. 

I definitely agree with you on the cast lines. That really bothers me. You get 2 sides of cool detailed metal, but the other two sides look like they've been ground down and lightly polished. It looks cheap. If I want to spend $300+ for a pipe with cool designs.. I want my damn cool designs, Not 2 sides of designs and 2 blank sides.

<3 my Syrians and KM's

The 2 smooth sides don't bother me one bit. I mean come on, KM pipes are smooth all the way around with the exception of their etched pipes that to be frank are decent etchings at best. Soooo you get excellent etchings, and then 2 smooth lines, what's the big deal? I personally think it adds character, it isn't machined like a lot of other pipes, rather someone casted, handled, and polished that bad boy. They even oxidize their pipes for you if you ask them to and then they shine them. So the etchings are black and the pipe is shined ... wonderful!

And I don't see why a purge is so important, I really don't.

The 2 smooth sides don't bother me one bit. I mean come on, KM pipes are smooth all the way around with the exception of their etched pipes that to be frank are decent etchings at best. Soooo you get excellent etchings, and then 2 smooth lines, what's the big deal? I personally think it adds character, it isn't machined like a lot of other pipes, rather someone casted, handled, and polished that bad boy. They even oxidize their pipes for you if you ask them to and then they shine them. So the etchings are black and the pipe is shined ... wonderful!

And I don't see why a purge is so important, I really don't.

bingo

I'm going to have to agree with the top two responses. I thoroughly enjoy my new Elmas, cast lines don't bother me, it's heavy as shit and is a true piece of craftsmanship imo. Purge can go fly off as well.