Note To Parents (And Future Parents)

Rani

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT take your child out shopping and running errands with you if they are not well-behaved and QUIET!

I just spend 30 minutes trying to get a multi-million dollar proposal out the door while in our show room 30 feet a way, parents allowed their little brat to run and scream through the showroom. You may like your child, the rest of us don't have to.

I have a headache now, thank you very much you little bastard.........

'Rani

oh come on. My kids behavior is as unpredictable as a tornado.

Hey look she's sitting there watching her favorite movie, leave for 5 seconds Tables over turned, sitting on the dishwasher door screaming at a fly, buzzing around the kitchen.

There are times were you just don't have the energy to correct them after a long day.

I think I mentioned this on another topic, one time when I was about 5-6 years old I was screaming and crying a restaurant. My mom told me to quiet down or else, well I didn't so she took me to the bathroom and whooped my ass. From then on I never did that in public again lol.

Kids can scream and run around like little tyrants at home but not outside, a lot of parents these days don't give a shit what their kids do. Sometimes you just want to drop kick those little brats.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1350674358' post='558806']

Hey look she's sitting there watching her favorite movie, leave for 5 seconds Tables over turned, sitting on the dishwasher door screaming at a fly, buzzing around the kitchen.

There are times were you just don't have the energy to correct them after a long day.
[/quote]

You had them. You take care of them. Love you to death Stuie, you know I do, but no.....

I have a grown son. He pulled a "public display" one time. ONE. Need I go into the detail of why he never did it a second time?

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1350675818' post='558812']

[/quote]

You had them. You take care of them. Love you to death Stuie, you know I do, but no.....

I have a grown son. He pulled a "public display" one time. ONE. Need I go into the detail of why he never did it a second time?

'Rani
[/quote]

Good for you. I am raising a very emotional little girl. I can stop her from doing things, but not crying. Spanking and other punishments don't work, neither does rewarding the good behavior.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1350677348' post='558815']
[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1350675818' post='558812']

[/quote]

'Rani
[/quote]

Good for you. I am raising a very emotional little girl. I can stop her from doing things, but not crying. Spanking and other punishments don't work, neither does rewarding the good behavior.
[/quote]

There are children obviously with special needs from major like autism to smaller issues, but my point is that if for whatever reason you cannot control her behavior, then you should not be dragging her out all over the public for the rest of us to deal with. And while I don't know your particular circumstances or anything about your daughters health, I have had many, MANY friends who thought their children were uncontrollable, yet lo and behold I managed to control them every single time we were out together.

Before you consider that an attack on your parenting skills......... I'm not criticizing anyone's parenting skills who hasn't had intensive training while growing up. I had two younger brothers I mostly raised just as growing up in my house for example. But we don't train our children to be parents anymore. We just turn them loose to figure it out on their own, and it's not fair to either the child or the parent and I think that's why so many are not as good at it as they should be. They simply don't know. But it's even more unfair to the general public when we have to tolerate it and they're not our children!

If anyone has a child that you are not able to control or predict and ameloriate their behavior, then that parent needs to understand they are not equipped to deal with it on their own for whatever reason. Then get the help, or the instruction, or whatever you need so that you can. Children haven't changed in the past several thousand years. They still do everything the used to do. But the public displays are a recent occurrence. And ever parent who has ever experienced one needs to address it. Or keep them home. Period.

I'm not going to flex on this one. As a parent, that parent is responsible for absolutely everything the do. The public shouldn't have to be.

'Rani

[img]http://www.hlntv.com/sites/default/files/2012/08/10/mckayladisappointed.jpg[/img]

...mmeemmwmahmwme... my parenting skils... asdwttmmmwemtmermweqmrymqwmertq....

Just saying if you have a perfect child under the age of 10 who never does anything wrong in public... i would do a drug test because they are on some pretty awesome meds.
  • Upvote 2

My sister helped raise me, I am 25 and she is 35. she is an awesome parent with two children. Erik will be 5 in November and Caitlin will be 2 in January. she is able to wrestle Caitlin, she is a smart, quickly developing child. Erik is in the autism spectrum. there are many aspects to the difficulty with raising an autistic kid. hmmm, well his main meal is yogurt, he stopped eating it for a while for God knows why and all he ate was toast, crackers, and pretzels. Thru food therapy he now eats yogurt after 5 months of trying to get him back to it. he is a super taster . He is easily over stimulated, certain music can provoke, ceiling fans, lights(he insists on turning on every light in my cabin and they have to stay on while he is there or meltdown, its something they've been working on in therapy and special needs school with some improvement...it takes a long time for minor improvement) he is in speech therapy, much needed, I'm in love that he knows my name(unkal pat). There is a lot more...he has bowel problems(probably from diet). He is in diapers andwhere near ready for potty, they try everyday. I don't know if I mentioned he uses only half of his mouth(smartphonescreen too hard to navigate text typed). He does not understand punishment. it just not associate what he did was wrong with time out or spanking. Ga (my mother, grama, but he calls her Ga )has tried spanking several times and it only makes things worse. they have been to many classes for parents in this situation, they know what they are doing and are good parents. they pay for many therapies and special needs school. my sister has a degree in chemical engineering from Carnegie Mellon University that sheis not using because raising Erik is more than a fulltime job, plus she has a 21 month old.

so what, are you to say that she is to keep my nephew in all day like a caved rat, that she can't run errands because he is sometimes a terror, are you like his grandfather(who I flipped the fuck out on for this) saying people like this should be institutionalized because they cannot function in society?! Try a day in her life and maybe your opinion about people with brats being obnoxious will change.

I walk it every chance I get. sometimes I can't handle him but I try. he loves driving the tractor on uncle pat's lap, I was able to teach him left and right and straight with this. and he is fascinated with my hookah, knows its cucky and knows that the hot plate and coals will burn you and cause fires...he is rather smart, but developementally challenged.

don't be so quick to judge Rani, try to put yourself in someone else's shoes first.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='r1v3th3ad' timestamp='1350688896' post='558848']
My sister helped raise me, I am 25 and she is 35. she is an awesome parent with two children. Erik will be 5 in November and Caitlin will be 2 in January. she is able to wrestle Caitlin, she is a smart, quickly developing child. Erik is in the autism spectrum. there are many aspects to the difficulty with raising an autistic kid. hmmm, well his main meal is yogurt, he stopped eating it for a while for God knows why and all he ate was toast, crackers, and pretzels. Thru food therapy he now eats yogurt after 5 months of trying to get him back to it. he is a super taster . He is easily over stimulated, certain music can provoke, ceiling fans, lights(he insists on turning on every light in my cabin and they have to stay on while he is there or meltdown, its something they've been working on in therapy and special needs school with some improvement...it takes a long time for minor improvement) he is in speech therapy, much needed, I'm in love that he knows my name(unkal pat). There is a lot more...he has bowel problems(probably from diet). He is in diapers andwhere near ready for potty, they try everyday. I don't know if I mentioned he uses only half of his mouth(smartphonescreen too hard to navigate text typed). He does not understand punishment. it just not associate what he did was wrong with time out or spanking. Ga (my mother, grama, but he calls her Ga )has tried spanking several times and it only makes things worse. they have been to many classes for parents in this situation, they know what they are doing and are good parents. they pay for many therapies and special needs school. my sister has a degree in chemical engineering from Carnegie Mellon University that sheis not using because raising Erik is more than a fulltime job, plus she has a 21 month old.

so what, are you to say that she is to keep my nephew in all day like a caved rat, that she can't run errands because he is sometimes a terror, are you like his grandfather(who I flipped the fuck out on for this) saying people like this should be institutionalized because they cannot function in society?! Try a day in her life and maybe your opinion about people with brats being obnoxious will change.

I walk it every chance I get. sometimes I can't handle him but I try. he loves driving the tractor on uncle pat's lap, I was able to teach him left and right and straight with this. and he is fascinated with my hookah, knows its cucky and knows that the hot plate and coals will burn you and cause fires...he is rather smart, but developementally challenged.

don't be so quick to judge Rani, try to put yourself in someone else's shoes first.
[/quote]

I'm not judging everyone who is having trouble in a single situation controlling a child. Especially not a child that might have special needs............ And I certainly don't advocate keeping them at home 24/7. But I am judging parents who think this kind of behavior in public is somehow normal and acceptable. Look maybe I worded it wrong because I'm very frustrated about inconsiderate parents right now, but with the exception of a special needs child, there is NO reason why I or anyone else should have to cope with other people's children who are not well behaved. And let's be honest we're rarely talking a special needs child in this respect. Predominately in this scenario, more often than not it's just lazy parenting.

If a child is yelling, or crying, or whatever, take them outside until you have a handle on that situation in that moment. Have some intelligence to know that the rest of us don't want to hear it. Don't keep shopping or eating your dinner or whatever you're doing. Stop what you're doing and attend to your child. How difficult is that really? Whole generations managed to do it. If you're can't do the job of parenting, then don't have the children. And if you go ahead and have them anyway then don't inflict them on the rest of us.

Don't tell me not to walk in somebody else's shoes, I'm walking in my shoes and I've spent way, WAY, WAY-WAY too much time correcting other people's very normal children. Like my friend Shelly who had what even she called a "demon child". She couldn't handle her, yet two minutes into shopping with me, I interrupted her kicking another shopper in the shins while her mother paid no attention. I got down on kid level, grabbed a handful of shirt and said "Look, I am not your mother. You will NOT do this with me." End of problem. Or my friend Antoinette who's little girl cried all the bloody time. Too young to grab a shirt, so I sang to her. She stayed quiet. Jesus, figure it out. If a normal child without special needs of some sort is out of control, it's not the child's fault, it's the parents. Every single time.

'Rani
  • Upvote 1

My grandpa left me in front of the police station when I was around 5 or 6 because I was throwing a fit in the car... I started walking home (which I had no idea how to get back to) and he followed me far away enough to where I couldn't see him. I walked forever until I just sat down and started crying. Ever since then I drew maps from point a (start of car ride) to point b (wherever we were going) so I could find my way home.

God I wish I can see some of those maps now.

Alright 'Rani , the way the one post was worded it took me to believe otherwise. and yes I do understand your frustration. I do not have my own kids yet, but I've learned a special way to approach and tolerate with my ny nephew's needs, I've grown a certain patience...but at times I hits the breaking point.

I think a lot of times, kids are looking for that breaking point. My daughter just turned 2 and she already tests my wife and I; just to see what she can get away with.

Before we had a kid, we would get extremely annoyed at out of control kids. Mow we are very aware of when Annabelle is annoying other people and quickly take her out of the situation.

Even at 2, I can explain to her that she is being too loud and everyone wants to enjoy their dinner, shopping, etc. And she either calms down or we go play somewhere else.

[quote name='kenshinx23' timestamp='1350770857' post='558903']
someone guy pulled millions of dollars because of a screaming child? Or are you putting of your failure on not making the deal on to the child?

Chin up.
[/quote]

Hey, I got the bid out. Failure isn't in my playbook. And the stupid implication is offensive. Since I won't break the rules read my mind - four letters at a time.

'Rani

[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1350804920' post='558922']
kids are kids... let them be.. i agree they shouldn't be allowed in fancy places, but fancy places should enforce that....
[/quote]

So let them do whatever they please and don't take them anywhere "fancy"? i don't buy that. Having children, raising them with some semblance of humanity takes serious work. You don't retire from society for 18 years instead of putting in the work. i can't remember who said it, but I remember reading a long time ago, that children are born pure and savage. It's our responsibility as parents to civilize them. I refuse to accept excuses for parents who seem to think all they had to do was give birth and throw them a cookie or toy now and then. If you don't want to put in the work, don't take on the job.

'Rani

I agree with Rani on everything basically, you don't know how many times I've been out to eat at restaurants, movie theaters, sitting at my apt, supermarkets, banks and all you hear is kids screaming. Then the parents are just standing there ignoring them pretending like nothing is happening.

Bernie Mac says it best:

[embed]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iFiPybmW5U[/embed]

• 3 weeks later...