iPhone 5

Chreees

Read this on slashdot.
"Back in 2009, [url="http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/rtte/chargers/questions/index_en.htm#8"]Apple signed an agreement[/url] aimed at reducing electronic waste resulting from mobile phone accessories. But this week's launch of the iPhone 5 shows them reneging on that commitment. Instead of including a micro-USB connector on the iPhone, as they agreed to do along with the rest of the phone industry, they created yet another proprietary connector. At a stroke, they have junked earlier iPhone accessories, forced a new industry in Apple-only accessories to arise and broken their promise to the EC."
[url="http://apple.slashdot.org/story/12/09/14/2053241/iphone-5-scorns-standards-promise-to-european-commission"]http://apple.slashdo...pean-commission[/url]

I don't like the hardware; I don't like the walled garden; but I despise their attitude.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='aeon' timestamp='1347691407' post='556426']
Every time a new iPhone comes out, I just think about this video.

[media]http://youtu.be/FL7yD-0pqZg[/media]
[/quote]

God, I totally forgot about that video. Still hilarious! "Now my goddamn cat is homeless." :lol:

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1347705926' post='556431']
Read this on slashdot.
"Back in 2009, [url="http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/rtte/chargers/questions/index_en.htm#8"]Apple signed an agreement[/url] aimed at reducing electronic waste resulting from mobile phone accessories. But this week's launch of the iPhone 5 shows them reneging on that commitment. Instead of including a micro-USB connector on the iPhone, as they agreed to do along with the rest of the phone industry, they created yet another proprietary connector. At a stroke, they have junked earlier iPhone accessories, forced a new industry in Apple-only accessories to arise and broken their promise to the EC."
[url="http://apple.slashdot.org/story/12/09/14/2053241/iphone-5-scorns-standards-promise-to-european-commission"]http://apple.slashdo...pean-commission[/url]

I don't like the hardware; I don't like the walled garden; but I despise their attitude.
[/quote]

Apple is in compliance because they make the adapters. But I agree, it would make things a LOT simpler if they just started using the MicroUSB.

While I have decided I'm getting the phone, I'm in no rush. I did check out the pre-order thing on Apple.com and AT&T and first batch of preorders is sold out. If I order now it'll be two-three weeks before it's shipped to me. Also Apple isn't wanting to let me ship it to my address, only my dad's, since his is the one on the AT&T account. I couldn't even get to that part on AT&T's site due to some error message, so now I'm kinda meh and might just wait a month or so after, let the craziness die down. I stood in line 7 hours for the 4 on release day... never again.

I'm up to my ass in adapters.

That third stone tablet that Moses (Mel Brooks) dropped on his way down the mountain in the movie [i]History of the World Part 1[/i] had five more commandments, one of which said, "Thou shalt not make adapters."

(The other four said something about not starting a land war in Asia, not putting natural gas facilities behind houses, Steve Jobs not being God, and beware of Democrats bearing free gifts. :lol: )

Eh, I don't mind adapters. They'll be cheap soon enough anyway, once third party companies start manufacturing them. But yes, I really wish they'd just go MicroUSB and be done with it.

I was at Walmart today and had read online last night that they were doing preorders, so figured I'd ask since I was there. The lady was super helpful and had me down for one in under a minute. I just had to put $25 down and pay the rest when I pick it up. Gave me a little card saying "The Latest iPhone Will Be Waiting For You- Yours Will Be Black." Lol. She said they'll put all the preorders aside and call when available for pickup, which should be the 21st. Not guaranteed, cause we all know how crazy release day can be. I guess it beats the two-to-three weeks wait from Apple and all the carriers, even though I am not impatient in getting one.

Tapatalk'd via iPhone

Well, I returned my $25 preorder. I've got too many car expenses coming up, and I'm trying to pay off my credit card, not add to it, so this feels like the responsible thing to do. I got blinded by the hype!

Tapatalk'd via iPhone

[quote name='KasbahBazaar' timestamp='1347751204' post='556462']
Once you go Android you're no longer fanboyed. But seriously, Android over iOShit any day.
[/quote]

What Android would you suggest I look into? I will seriously consider getting one. I know I often come off as a fanboy, but I'd like to think I'm not a TOTAL fanboy. :P Either way, I've got plenty of time, as tires and a new battery for the Focus are more important right now. And paying off my credit card. Phone might just have to wait until Christmas...

My best advice is go to your provider, play with all the phones on display, and choose from there. Let's not forget that while Apple has lots of hype, they also have a tendency to have glitches with first issues. Bet you're going to hear all kinds of things about the IPhone 5 and end up being glad you waited a few months even if you do decide to go iPhone after all.

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1347921841' post='556572']
My best advice is go to your provider, play with all the phones on display, and choose from there. Let's not forget that while Apple has lots of hype, they also have a tendency to have glitches with first issues. Bet you're going to hear all kinds of things about the IPhone 5 and end up being glad you waited a few months even if you do decide to go iPhone after all.

'Rani
[/quote]

That's the thing- I am indecisive as fuck and don't REALLY know I like something until I've had it for a good while. I knew I'd like the iPhone 4 when I got it because my wife had the 3GS, so I had plenty of time to play with it.

I got the 4 on release day, never gave me any trouble. I think I just got lucky, because I agree with you that first releases do usually have bugs that need to be worked out. That's true for pretty much all products.

I'll probably end up just going with the iPhone 5 because I know I like it. I have this phobia of buying expensive items and regretting it later... I know, I'm weird.

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1347922985' post='556575']

'Rani
[/quote]

That's the thing- I am indecisive as fuck and don't REALLY know I like something until I've had it for a good while. I knew I'd like the iPhone 4 when I got it because my wife had the 3GS, so I had plenty of time to play with it.

I got the 4 on release day, never gave me any trouble. I think I just got lucky, because I agree with you that first releases do usually have bugs that need to be worked out. That's true for pretty much all products.

I'll probably end up just going with the iPhone 5 because I know I like it. I have this phobia of buying expensive items and regretting it later... [b]I know, I'm weird.[/b]
[/quote]

Yes, you are, but then if you were normal we wouldn't love you so much! Weird people are soooo much more interesting.

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1347925087' post='556579']
[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1347922985' post='556575']

'Rani
[/quote]

I'll probably end up just going with the iPhone 5 because I know I like it. I have this phobia of buying expensive items and regretting it later... [b]I know, I'm weird.[/b]
[/quote]

Yes, you are, but then if you were normal we wouldn't love you so much! Weird people are soooo much more interesting.

'Rani
[/quote]

:blush: Aww, thanks.

Im an android man, mostly cos apple doesnt really have a firm grip on the mobile phones of europe, though pretty soon Im sure a provider is gonna offer some kind of affordable package with an iPhone... well see, I really only use my phone for calling and texting so it doesnt matter :P

Okay I don't have a Micrometer but I put my 3GS next to a friends 5 Visible screen looks the exact same size. Phone is longer but not the viewable screen. Kind of misleading.

Really? Doesn't appear to be the case to me...

[img]http://cdn.itproportal.com/photos/iphone5_vs_iphone4s_original.jpg[/img]

If it were the same viewable size, then how would they have fit in that extra row of columns? :lol:

Outside reviewers confirm the iPhone 5 is no bigger screen wise than many Android phones. I do know that unless it grew at least an inch my HTC screen is very close to the iPhone. But that's not automatically a bad thing as phones get bigger and bigger.

Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1348290966' post='556951']
Outside reviewers confirm the iPhone 5 is no bigger screen wise than many Android phones. I do know that unless it grew at least an inch my HTC screen is very close to the iPhone. But that's not automatically a bad thing as phones get bigger and bigger.

Rani
[/quote]

We didn't need outside reviewers to determine that... It was stated a long time ago even before the keynote that the iPhone 5's screen would be 4". Samsung Galaxy SIII's screen size is 4.8". Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX is 4.3". HTC One X is 4.7". Apple could have gone bigger obviously, but they didn't want to. The question you have to ask yourself is, "Is bigger actually better?"

The difference, so Apple claims, is that anyone can make a bigger phone with the latest features. Their goal was to make the phone even smaller (thinner at least), while packing in all the features they wanted. In my opinion, it takes greater engineering to do the latter. As for the screen size, they say that the reason it is 4" is not only to try and keep it light and compact for the consumer's daily life, but because it gives a more accurate 16x9 widescreen experience. There's a certain level of scaling involved obviously with these smartphones, so I like their decision to keep it at 4" and just lengthen it. The width is the same to maintain the 16x9 ratio, and also to keep texting easier, because if they had made it wider it would have hindered that. Also, I'm not a huge fan of bulky phones. I'm not even sure if I'd like the 5's size compared to my 4, but it's not near as big of a difference compared to the other Android phones I mentioned.

For me, the answer to the above question is no, bigger is not ALWAYS better. Just depends on the person.

But I do really like the Samsung Galaxy SIII... haha.

[quote]The question you have to ask yourself is, "Is bigger actually better?"[/quote]

The question you have to ask yourself is, "How old are my eyes and do I wear bifocals?"
Yes, for me bigger is better. :lol:

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1348289484' post='556948']
Really? Doesn't appear to be the case to me...

[img]http://cdn.itproportal.com/photos/iphone5_vs_iphone4s_original.jpg[/img]

If it were the same viewable size, then how would they have fit in that extra row of columns? :lol:
[/quote]

My Case may have thrown in my eyes off a bit. But that comparison looks a little off... I don't think it's that much bigger.