Anyone Actually Have A Bail Out, SHTF, or Bug Out Bag?

ChicagoRSX

Google "bug out" basics its pretty much just a 72 hour . while i have only entertained the idea (mainly because i think preppers are alittle bit on the deep end but thats them and im me.) seems like water and food that keeps for long periods (jerky?cup a noodles) and other minor things . its really a survival bag. IF your actually believe that at some point civil unrest will happen and you need to bail out its also smart to learn basic survival skills , what plants are edible in your area(s) you are in, Fire ,shelter,camouflage basics , etc..

also Google Prepper for stuff like that
  • Upvote 1

Whatever happened to survival_nate? He would know...

I think we have one out my work building as a requirement. I think its only a can of soup and some bandaids though :/

*Comments in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Tangiers Tobacco*

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1344057217' post='553305']
I have one, I try to keep it always stocked with a bambino, one box of coconaras, and 500 grab of tangiers.
[/quote]

Haha, spoken like a true hookah smoker.

+1

Should be posted in the "You Know You're a Hookah Smoker When..." thread... http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/35039-you-know-youre-a-hookah-smoker-when/page__st__180

My brother, cousin, some friends and I all have "go bags" prepared. My brother even has a bag packed for his Akita to carry.

Mine contains the following:

Pocket field guides for edible plants/fungi/berries and medicinal herbs
Kinetic energy flashlight
Box of strike anywhere matches
Lighter fluid/butane refill
Zippo and a couple jet lighters
Notebook
Bic pens
Water purification tablets
Deer scent
(4) 50rd boxes 9mm ammo (though each of us will have at least a long arm and sidearm to carry in addition to our individual packs) Also the heaviest part of the pack (My pistol will be on my hip at all times with the .223 on my back)
9mm cleaning kit with plenty of patches and cleaning solution
Hydrogen peroxide
2 bars of soap
USMC Ka-Bar
Portable beer can burner made by my friend's dad, very small, light and efficient
1qt. denatured alcohol
Dry yeast (if we setup somewhere and can make some ethanol fuel)
Poncho
Gloves
Duct tape
Multi-tool (ie. can-opener, tweezers, knife, file, screwdriver, pliers, etc.)
Still need to get a crank charger because I will definitely be bringing my cellphone along for music, notes/pictures, etc. More of a morale booster than anything else.

I might be missing some things but these are the basics I have. In addition we have our sleeping bags, tent, other munitions, and community bags to carry.

All this is equipment is worthless without firsthand experience. I've spent weeks camping in places in Montana reachable only by quarter-day hikes, not passable by cars. Putting yourself in a situation like this and practicing primitive camping (taking only what you would in a "go-bag") is the only way to enhance your chances at survival.

Call me crazy, paranoid, whatever you want, but the fact of the matter is I have all these supplies because of the activities I already do and I like to consider myself well-versed with the outdoors. We have all seen some crazy things happening in the world and it's never a good idea to get too comfortable and develop a feeling of invincibility simply based on your location.

Though I think it would be good for morale to bring a hookah along, I will be leaving mine behind if a situation arises.

[quote name='KasbahBazaar' timestamp='1344115491' post='553344']
My brother, cousin, some friends and I all have "go bags" prepared. My brother even has a bag packed for his Akita to carry.

Mine contains the following:

Pocket field guides for edible plants/fungi/berries and medicinal herbs
Kinetic energy flashlight
Box of strike anywhere matches
Lighter fluid/butane refill
Zippo and a couple jet lighters
Notebook
Bic pens
Water purification tablets
Deer scent
(4) 50rd boxes 9mm ammo (though each of us will have at least a long arm and sidearm to carry in addition to our individual packs) Also the heaviest part of the pack (My pistol will be on my hip at all times with the .223 on my back)
9mm cleaning kit with plenty of patches and cleaning solution
Hydrogen peroxide
2 bars of soap
USMC Ka-Bar
Portable beer can burner made by my friend's dad, very small, light and efficient
1qt. denatured alcohol
Dry yeast (if we setup somewhere and can make some ethanol fuel)
Poncho
Gloves
Duct tape
Multi-tool (ie. can-opener, tweezers, knife, file, screwdriver, pliers, etc.)
Still need to get a crank charger because I will definitely be bringing my cellphone along for music, notes/pictures, etc. More of a morale booster than anything else.

I might be missing some things but these are the basics I have. In addition we have our sleeping bags, tent, other munitions, and community bags to carry.

All this is equipment is worthless without firsthand experience. I've spent weeks camping in places in Montana reachable only by quarter-day hikes, not passable by cars. Putting yourself in a situation like this and practicing primitive camping (taking only what you would in a "go-bag") is the only way to enhance your chances at survival.

Call me crazy, paranoid, whatever you want, but the fact of the matter is I have all these supplies because of the activities I already do and I like to consider myself well-versed with the outdoors. We have all seen some crazy things happening in the world and it's never a good idea to get too comfortable and develop a feeling of invincibility simply based on your location.

Though I think it would be good for morale to bring a hookah along, I will be leaving mine behind if a situation arises.
[/quote]

..................when the zombie apocalypse happens, I'm sticking with you.

:P
  • Upvote 1

If the zombie apocolypse ever happens....

I'm gonna have SO MUCH FUN with the thousands of rounds of ammunition I have for my AR-15, 1911, and shotguns. Oh boy!! :)

But in regards to the topic, I haven't given any thought to a survival bag or whatever. Even though it's prolly not a bad idea since we're drifting into the direction of total economic collapse...which I feel will definitely cause some major, MAJOR issues.

Everyone in my family has a bug out bag, but now that it has been mentioned, it wouldn't be such a bad idea to make one for our dog. KasbahBazaar pretty much covered the contents of a really good bug out bag, so I would keep with that. There are also lots of resources online for prepping bug out bags, so that would be where I would start.

I've got clothes, a toothbrush with toothpaste, an extra pair of shoes, socks, a week's worth of allergy medicine, duct tape, zip ties, parachute cord, a pocket knife, a Zippo lighter and a water bottle in my car (not to mention the bag it's in). It's mainly for spending the night away from home, but in cases it's come in handy. For example, I was on the highway when a guy hit a deer. His hood flew open, and the hood and the entire front grille of his car were FUBAR. I stopped and used the parachute cord in order to tie his hood down so he could make the next exit.

mine isn't a bug out bag so much as a bug out apartment. I have everything I need to last about 2 weeks (longer if its just me and not the family) It could all be tossed in a bag in less than 15 mins and my camper is parked just up the road for easy hook up.total time from jump would be about 30 mins. If I don't have 30 min I got bigger problems than not having a bag.
Ray

• 6 months later...

I came across this instructable and I am working on making 2 of them. One for my active 2 children...mostly my son... i forsee many climbing accidents in his future... the little monkey... and one for a true Bug Out bag. I orded 2 of the Red Bags shown very nice quality too.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bug-Out-Bag-First-Aid-Kit/

What do you think needs to be added or subtracted from these

20111207__harry_morgan_mash.jpg

Sorry, can't say Bug Out without thinking of M*A*S*H

• 4 weeks later...