Okay, so I've been using my crown micro phunnel daily for a few months now, and even though I cleaned it after each and every session, it collected a lot of brown stuff in it, not on the outside, but where I can't reach to clean it, that is, the inside.

I remember asking a question about cleaning it a while back, and Santino, the man himself responded saying that he himself uses Brew rite coffee cleaner in boiling water to clean his bowls, so I looked around for it, but could not find it, or any other coffee cleaner for that matter, but then I looked up it's ingredients and it only said [b]"Contains sodium carbonate"[/b], after which, I started looking for sodium carbonate/washing soda/soda ash, and found it.

Yesterday, I decided to go ahead and give it a shot, so I boiled some water with the bowl in it, and then poured some sodium carbonate in it, approximately 2 teaspoons, and kept it boiling for 5 minutes, and left it in the water for 15 minutes after that.

When I took it out, it looked the same to me and I was really disheartened, BUT, the second I ran it under the tap, ALL the filth inside it got washed away in one second, with the exception of a few lines...you should have looked at my face!

Confident in the success of the said process, I repeated it once again, and god, the bowl came out looking new!

Here it is!

[img]http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7271/20120220211458.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5879/20120220211446.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4953/20120220211413.jpg[/img]

Now I had thought of taking both "before" and "after" pictures, but I forgot, so these are the only ones I have, but I can assure you, that the *bowl" part was almost close to black before I cleaned it!

So if your crown bowls get dirty, you know what to do. :)

Good stuff!

Question though... Do you leave your bowl sitting for a while after you finish smoking, or do you wash it right away when you are done smoking? Reason I ask is because I'd wash it right away before anything could crust on there, and the bowls (Micro Phunnel and Micro Classic) always remained looking like new.

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1329757534' post='539701']
Good stuff!

Question though... Do you leave your bowl sitting for a while after you finish smoking, or do you wash it right away when you are done smoking? Reason I ask is because I'd wash it right away before anything could crust on there, and the bowls (Micro Phunnel and Micro Classic) always remained looking like new.
[/quote]

I tend to leave mine sitting for most of the day. thats probably why..laziness wins again

I never have to much issue with my glass bowls, but my glass screen is a different story, I will try this!

[quote name='king_lunchb0x' timestamp='1329757350' post='539700']
im going to have to clean mine soon, the inside is almost black
[/quote]

Do it! You know I thought that glass bowls don't get ghosted, because I could never smell anything out of it even after a simple rinse, but the brown stuff must have definitely been masking the flavours I smoked, because cleaning it has rekindled my love for the bowl! I am getting amazing flavour out of it!

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1329757534' post='539701']
Good stuff!

[/quote]

Erm...yes and no! I mean I clean it after each session 95% of the time, but some of my sessions on weekends tend to run till early morning, and I try not to handle the glass bowl at that time, especially because I am drunk too, so it stays that way till the next time I set it up, so may be that's what contributes to it getting filthy!

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1329780667' post='539736']
They're fairly reasonable now - about 30 or 40 bucks. A lot of people clean their dentures with them.
[/quote]

Still a lot more expensive than washing soda! :D

[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1329813934' post='539768']
I wonder if this would work with a Tang phunnel and/or egyptian bowls..

mine are pretty gnarly, and simply boiling and scraping doesnt get rid of everything.
[/quote]

The problem I see there is that the clay can absorb washing soda during the process, which I can't imagine to be a good thing.

[quote name='thehelios' timestamp='1329801412' post='539761']
I tried letting my bowl sit in bleach and Budweiser for 5 hours but all it did was give me super powers.
[/quote]

Yeah, Man. That Budweiser is amazimg stuff ^_^

I forgot to add, that the stuff Santino uses is a liquid, and what I used was powder, so afterwards, I could feel tiny particles all over the bowl even after rinsing it a number of times and drying it, so after you've cleaned your bowl using this method, you may want to boil it one more time in clean water to get rid of all the powdery stuff!