Online Hookah Shopping.

Hey guys, so I ordered my hookah and some shisha from southsmoke.com. I was very happy with the service and prices but...I am out of shisha and want some more coals but the shipping is around $11 and if I'm only getting a few boxes of shisha and some coal...then the good prices are nullified by shipping charges. So I wanted to know your favorite place to order stuff from.

If this is in the wrong topic, please feel free to move or remove this post.

Thanks guys.

All the reputable vendors are going to charge about that much for shipping. Help alleviate it by seeing if the site you order from has a discount code:

http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/5876-all-discount-codes-for-online-customers/

I recently found an Alien Phunnel for Epoch on ebay with $4 shipping after he complained about the shipping costs. I would search other places, see if maybe you can't find your stuff with cheaper shipping elsewhere. Or get a friend to order some stuff too.

I have to say the shipping thing is beginning to piss me off. I don't mind paying $10.95 for shipping, if that's what the shipping costs. But I'm seeing a tendency to charge a flat rate, then my order shows up in one of those "if it fits, it ships" USPS boxes that I know were about half the flat rate. It happened twice last week, once from HJ and once from 5 Star. Again, I have no problem at all paying for shipping, hell, I don't even mind paying a little more for the merchandise, but charging me a shipping cost that is twice what it actually cost strikes me as a sneaky underhanded way to make a little extra profit. And it's the "hidden" profit that irritates me. Does that make any sense? Especially when it's not all that difficult to have a shipping calculator on a professional website.

'Rani
  • Upvote 1

If you're buying a hookah, it works out. If it's small stuff like shisha/coals, then not so much. I think they recuperate the losses on shipping hookahs by making profit on the small orders that they seemingly overcharge on shipping for. If that makes any sense...

Shipping is an expensive beast in the hookah industry. This is my brief synopsis from the vendor point of view.

Unfortunately, the items we sell are not necessarily small and lightweight items.

The Flat Rate boxes from USPS do help the consumer, but in no way can any vendor really profit off shipping if they are charging flat rate ranging from $9 - $12, and even free for that matter. Must consider all costs in shipping. It could be boxes, labels, packing materials, time, etc. The vendor benefits by being able to get the product to the customers door quicker than a ground shipment from either UPS or FedEx.

Medium FR Boxes are $10.95
Large FR Boxes are $14.95

As you can see, already there is no advantage taking.

Another benefit to these boxes are.....you get your item in 2-3 days instead of lets say....a week if its cross country.

I hate for this to sound like a rant, but, really shipping is one of the most expensive parts of my business. Both from sending things out and receiving.

MY recommendation :
Price things out. Typically, lower prices mean higher shipping and vice versa. Also, maybe contact a vendor directly if you feel the flat rate option is higher than you think it should be. There may be a possibility that there is another alternative.

Yeah, if they are charging you $10 for shipping and it shows up in a medium flat rate box, they aren't making any money. One reason for using flat rate boxes is because they are free. That saves the vendor some money. But they definitely aren't making money off shipping medium flat rate boxes for $10-12.

At 10.95 its practically a steal when you place bigger orders. I once had 3 kilos of coals, and like 2 kilos of shisha sent to be in a single flat rate for 10 which I am certain would have costed well over that otherwise.

Just makes the process easier on the vendor is all.

I recommend Nazarhookah, Hookah-shisha, and hookahjohn from personal experience.

If the site has a shipping calculator (like Hookah-Shisha), you can see what the shipping costs are going to be as you go along. With my last order, part of what I was doing was adding stuff to the order and then stopping when the shipping hit the next "break point".

As an eBay seller, I try to use the flat rate boxes whenever I can - I'm cleaning out a storage locker and basically selling stuff by the "boxful". However, I also have a shipping scale and a FedEx account for the things that "don't quite fit"

BTW - glass is a PITA to ship - you have to pack it so as it gets punted through shipping it will arrive in one piece.

I get the fact that it evens out from the vendor point of view, but if I order a pipe, or other large, heavy items, why should you be paying for my larger shipment? Or I paying for yours with my 4-5 small flat rate boxes? And why should the vendor lose money (assuming that's the case), on larger packages shipped under a flat rate that doesn't cover their cost of shipment? Maybe it's because of my background and financial accountability for my projects, but I'm very dogged about everything being what it's supposed to. Most places do charge a small handling fee, plus exact shipping costs. It makes accounting all around more precise for the vendor, and for us.

'Rani

also keep in mind shipping calculators have a setting that allows the vendor/shipper to add in an additional fee for material costs, handling, or anything else they want. So even the "calculated" fee may not be the "actual" cost.

[quote name='joelhookah' timestamp='1320677422' post='530562']
I recently found an Alien Phunnel for Epoch on ebay with $4 shipping after he complained about the shipping costs. I would search other places, see if maybe you can't find your stuff with cheaper shipping elsewhere. Or get a friend to order some stuff too.
[/quote]

Thanks again for that hook-up!

I understand that a $10.95 dollar flat rate box is convenient for a vendor, but whenever someone like me wants to order a single small item like a bowl, it makes the shipping seem far higher than it should be.

No problem Epoch. Glad you bought it so I didn't had some school fees pop up on me today.

But I know yall pain. I would prefer to be able to place a $30 order and not have to pay a third of my order for shipping. /wrists so is life.

I also understand the point of view on the shipping being expensive for single items, but isn't that why we have local stores?

I mean I think my mindset has changed over the years from being annoyed about it, to really just being fine with it.

All it means to me is that I need to make a big order or no order, so I typically wait until I begin getting low.

[quote name='A13lackFish' timestamp='1320690829' post='530595']
I also understand the point of view on the shipping being expensive for single items, but [u][b]isn't that why we have local stores?[/b][/u]

[/quote]

Perhaps, but most local stores don't have near the selection that can be found on online stores.

This in no way is an advertisement (that's why I am putting NH) :

For those of you who are shopping on-line, whether it is hookah related or not.....check to see if the site has a shipping calculator.

NH offers Flat rate (which is less than the USPS Flat Rate), and a calculated rate. Typically, any shipping calculator, handling charge or not, will be close but not exact. NH offers USPS 1st class mail shipping as well, for those that want 1 or 2 small items.

I do understand now what Rani was talking about.....Some businesses charge a flat rate no matter what you buy...could be a paper clip or 100 pound lead bar, and you still pay lets say $10 for shipping. That, in my opinion, is a very bad and unfair way of doing shipping. At least offer a calculated option.

[quote name='joelhookah' timestamp='1320699353' post='530615']
Not everyone has a local store, so no.
[/quote]

Well that's silly, you should move your home then? :)

[quote name='A13lackFish' timestamp='1320701809' post='530619']
[quote name='joelhookah' timestamp='1320699353' post='530615']
Not everyone has a local store, so no.
[/quote]

Well that's silly, you should move your home then? :)
[/quote]That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Everyone knows that the store needs to move to me.

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1320681720' post='530569']
I have to say the shipping thing is beginning to piss me off. I don't mind paying $10.95 for shipping, if that's what the shipping costs. But I'm seeing a tendency to charge a flat rate, then my order shows up in one of those "if it fits, it ships" USPS boxes that I know were about half the flat rate. It happened twice last week, once from HJ and once from 5 Star. Again, I have no problem at all paying for shipping, hell, I don't even mind paying a little more for the merchandise, but charging me a shipping cost that is twice what it actually cost strikes me as a sneaky underhanded way to make a little extra profit. And it's the "hidden" profit that irritates me. Does that make any sense? Especially when it's not all that difficult to have a shipping calculator on a professional website.

'Rani
[/quote]I hear you Rani, loud and clear. As a consumer I have had that happen to me and felt the same.
Some justification for why. I tried calculated shipping in my shopping cart and it always inflated shipping costs. To the point of it be outrageous. Maybe I wasn't or my shopping cart wasn't advanced enough at the time.
So I use the flat rate option for a few reasons.
It makes the consumer take advantage of it and order more. (I don't mind paying more than $10.95 if you are making a large order, win win)
It's just simple for the shopping cart.
It's competitive, imho, If you were to buy a hookah it would cost approx $15-$30 to ship (I know you said you don't mind paying for extra shipping when you order something like that, but again, it may make me win the sale over a competitor)
$10.95 is the same rate I have had since 2008 when I started, but fedex rates have gone up yearly, maybe not even their rates, but the fact that fuel has gone up has made their prices go up (even though when I started I remember gas skyrocketting to $5 a gallon, but once prices went up, they never came down, they just keep going up)
Now, with those if it fits it ships, yes, I have been taking advantage of that lately. As Mahir pointed out, it's still not making us break even on shipping.
I'm not complaining as I strive to make the consumer happy, yet, cases like this can rub the consumer the wrong way.
I really don't see how anyone offers free shipping. I have fedex and usps bills that add up to approx $5k per month. If I was to offer free shipping.....idk if it would make sense to be in business.
This industry is challenging, but so is business in general.
I feel your pain, I'm not arguing, just giving my input.
Keep in mind, I don't post this statement on the website, but do so from time to time on the forums. If you are in socal, like you Rani, just drop a note in the comments saying "take $5 for socal shipping". We will adjust it. I hope that helps.
And I do understand you are not complaining about shipping prices, but rather, the fact that you paid more for shipping than it actually cost.
Thanks for the input, I really feel awkward about those shipments like yours.

Wow! I didn't know that this post would get so much response but I like it. I can understand the vendor not wanting to run themselves out of business by eating the shipping cost.

The only thing I was saying is sometimes I don't need to get kilos of shisha..especially if trying a new brand or flavor. Online shopping has WAY more selection than my local shops (hookahhookah, JM, Fantasia). Not only is selection limited at my local shops, but the prices seem outrageous!

One of the shops only has hookah hookah and they sell the "hookah shots" for $10+!! And the tub of 200g or 250g is like $40.

Now if I buy online, the hookah shots are like $1.50 but with $10 shipping, it comes out to the same price.

I want to buy some bowls, coal, and shisha in my next order so the $10 shipping wouldn't be too horrible. But that's because I'm still trying to get a good set up. But what happens when I have a few bowls I like, windscreen, etc. and I need no other items other than shisha and coal. I'm still paying the same shipping costs.

This requires something called patience and planning. I know these are new concepts to some ;) but to make shopping online most effective you need to be patient about getting soemthign new and plan for a big order. If you want to try a new flavour, NOW then you are gonna pay through the nose, if you can wait til you need some more coals, a new hose perhaps and a few other goodies, then it will be more economical shipping wise to make your order.
Common sense I know but still, its up to the consumer to be smart, not blaming the vendor for the high cost of shipping charged by the shipping companies (UPS, FED-EX., USPS).