Online Hookah Shopping.

[quote name='Epoch' timestamp='1320688280' post='530589']
[quote name='joelhookah' timestamp='1320677422' post='530562']
I recently found an Alien Phunnel for Epoch on ebay with $4 shipping after he complained about the shipping costs. I would search other places, see if maybe you can't find your stuff with cheaper shipping elsewhere. Or get a friend to order some stuff too.
[/quote]

Thanks again for that hook-up!

I understand that a $10.95 dollar flat rate box is convenient for a vendor, but whenever someone like me wants to order a single small item like a bowl, it makes the shipping seem far higher than it should be.
[/quote]

try buyng that bowl from a local shop.

the only place i have around me that sells shisha is in sarasota, a good 15 miles away. Consider the traffic i have to deal with considering sarasota is littered with old snobby types and then once i do make it to my store, they sell 50g for $6-$9 per!

Personally... i pay the $11 just so i don't have to deal with it.

Well I went ahead and put in my order a few minutes ago. I got 5-50g of shisha, vortex bowl, phunnel bowl, and a 108ct of coconara coals...with the shipping (10.98) the total came to 51.30....not too too shabby. But like I said, what happens when I need more shisha....still gonna pay the $11 for shipping.

Maybe it's time to see about making my own shisha. Hahaha.

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1320757843' post='530715']
This requires something called patience and planning. I know these are new concepts to some ;) but to make shopping online most effective you need to be patient about getting soemthign new and plan for a big order. If you want to try a new flavour, NOW then you are gonna pay through the nose, if you can wait til you need some more coals, a new hose perhaps and a few other goodies, then it will be more economical shipping wise to make your order.
Common sense I know but still, its up to the consumer to be smart, not blaming the vendor for the high cost of shipping charged by the shipping companies (UPS, FED-EX., USPS).
[/quote]

Yeah, that's true, but how many times to we really plan ahead? Usually it's a little overtime on the paycheck and woo hoo! How fast can I spend it on hookah stuff. But the same holds true in the opposite direction. The vendor should NOT be losing money on shipping either. They should be making a fair profit that they have predetermined works for their business. The kind of planning ahead works out well for the customer, but ends up impacting the vendors profit margin as their shipping costs go way up and beyond the flat rate charged. It's a tough one..... Apparently we're all in the wrong business. We should be where the real money is - in shipping!

And John, thanks for the offer of reducing shipping to So. Cal. But I work in La Habra right around the corner from you. How about you ADD $5 and deliver? :-)

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1320770838' post='530750']
[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1320757843' post='530715']
This requires something called patience and planning. I know these are new concepts to some ;) but to make shopping online most effective you need to be patient about getting soemthign new and plan for a big order. If you want to try a new flavour, NOW then you are gonna pay through the nose, if you can wait til you need some more coals, a new hose perhaps and a few other goodies, then it will be more economical shipping wise to make your order.
Common sense I know but still, its up to the consumer to be smart, not blaming the vendor for the high cost of shipping charged by the shipping companies (UPS, FED-EX., USPS).
[/quote]

Yeah, that's true, but how many times to we really plan ahead? Usually it's a little overtime on the paycheck and woo hoo! How fast can I spend it on hookah stuff. But the same holds true in the opposite direction. The vendor should NOT be losing money on shipping either. They should be making a fair profit that they have predetermined works for their business. The kind of planning ahead works out well for the customer, but ends up impacting the vendors profit margin as their shipping costs go way up and beyond the flat rate charged. It's a tough one..... Apparently we're all in the wrong business. We should be where the real money is - in shipping!

[b]And John, thanks for the offer of reducing shipping to So. Cal. But I work in La Habra right around the corner from you. How about you ADD $5 and deliver? :-)[/b]

'Rani
[/quote]lol, sure

[quote name='Nikotelopico' timestamp='1320756867' post='530712']

One of the shops only has hookah hookah and they sell the "hookah shots" for $10+!! And the tub of 200g or 250g is like $40.

Now if I buy online, the hookah shots are like $1.50 but with $10 shipping, it comes out to the same price.

[/quote]

But considering you can buy 3 250g's of nakhla at $10 a pop plus $10 to ship it you're better off.
lets make it tangiers this time, 1- 250g bag of tang for $15 plus $10 for shipping and you're still WAY ahead of buying 1 tub of HH from the local shop.

[quote name='Nikotelopico' timestamp='1320756867' post='530712']
One of the shops only has hookah hookah and they sell the "hookah shots" for $10+!! And the tub of 200g or 250g is like $40.

Now if I buy online, the hookah shots are like $1.50 but with $10 shipping, it comes out to the same price.

[/quote]

But if you're going to go to the trouble and time wait to order online, why would you just get 1? If they can ship you 10 shots for the same shipping, it would only be $25. And there are places that have shot packages where you can get a bunch at a discount. Just sayin' ;)

A lot of times a phone call or email to the vendor might help when ordering a single small item. Shipping calculators often have a base price, which may not take into account how small and light the item is. This is especially true with grommets, bowls, and other small accessories which can be shipped cheaper than the calculator thinks. Hookah vendors are usually pretty friendly and helpful ;)