Hey!

So I was talking to this buddy in another city yesterday (about hookah of course) and he said that the lounges there use natural lumpwood charcoal used for grilling and they are the cleanest for smoking hookah. First I argued with him that one should only use charcoal meant specifically for hookah, but then I remembered reading Hass's reviews of the lounges in lebanon and that he was a fan(?) of such coals.

Now I always use coals meant for hookah, but the coals I get here aren't exactly great. They are chinese coals with some silver shit on them that I scrape off with the tongs before putting them on the bowl, but the idea intrigued me and I started looking around, and found that the coals that [b]should not be used for hookah are bbq briquettes or the ones which use self lighting liquids and such[/b], but grilling charcoal (lumpwood) are okay to use.

The problem is that I don't quite know what lump wood coals are, so I can't be sure if these are that. These are the coals used normally for cooking and grilling. I found them in the store room.

[img]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6581/20111014205409.jpg[/img]

As I got ready for my evening session (smoking AF mint right now), I was determined to give these a shot and lit two of the decent sized ones (size of your regular sized coals, though uneven in shape) along with 2 of my regular coals just in case these smelled during smoking.

On a coil burner, they took about 8 minutes to light, flipped at 5 minute mark. I put them on the bowl and waited for 5 minutes, and then took my first pull, and indeed, they did not taste, as a matter of fact, they didn't smell at all during lighting them too. They must have been putting out decent heat, as I got great clouds in my third pull.

Coming to the texture, these are light weight, possibly wood coals, and not as dense as my regular coals. I smoked for 10 minutes using these and they did not impart any coal taste to my tobacco and I was getting great clouds, and then I took them off and replaced them with my regular coals, because I didn't want to waste the coals I had lit, and because I first wanted to confirm here that I wasn't harming myself using these.

So, are these okay to use with a hookah?

Yes, these are fine. The only thing is they go out/burn down quicker than coconut coals, and require a lot more attention. It's great in the Middle East when you have a guy coming by every 5-10 minutes to fiddle with them or replace them, but at home, it's a hassle

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1318610739' post='527770']
Great! Might have to get new coals then, because these were in a bag with dried cow dung (don't ask).
[/quote]
funny you mention the cow dung as there was someone on another forum by the name of Hajo who lived in the ME that reported using cow dung as a charcoal numerous times. he loved them haha.

lump charcoals works well. they can be a pain to cut to size and like mush said they do go out on the bottom side occasionally. but for the price they are great.

Alex

I've smoked in Turkey, Lebanon, Bahrain, the UAE, and Oman, and never saw dung on a nargile....always wood coals like above or occasionally in Lebanon Coconaras

Great! Thanks guys!

Well these may be a bit of hassle to manage, but I will take that over what I get here already, that is the chinese silver coals. They are natural too I suppose, but the silver shit pisses me off, and sometimes (very rarely), I get this horrible horrible coal taste that's enough to ruin a perfectly good session.

The only coconut coals I get here are AF cocos, and frankly they just suck ass. No consistency in size, shape and they go out not only on the bottom, but all over just in 5 minutes of being on the bowl even if I am hitting frequently.

If these turn out to be too much of a hassle, then I guess I could always go back to using the chinese coals, but gonna give this a shot fosho!! I fiddle with my coals every 15 mins or so anyway.

These are pretty decent coals, actually. I used them for a while. My only gripe was lighting them- they would spark and send shit flying all over my stove. So not ideal for lighting inside. Since I like lighting my coals on my stove, I went with coconut coals. But these are in no way bad if you have a way to light them outside. :)

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1318625286' post='527787']
These are pretty decent coals, actually. I used them for a while. My only gripe was lighting them- they would spark and send shit flying all over my stove. So not ideal for lighting inside. Since I like lighting my coals on my stove, I went with coconut coals. But these are in no way bad if you have a way to light them outside. :)
[/quote]

Well as I mentioned in the OP, these didn't give off any smell or sparks during lighting! May be these are better quality if there is such a thing as quality difference in these? Idk, may be it's because these are old? Will get some new ones tomorrow and try em!

Yeah those are just fine, I used to buy them by the bagful at Home Depot for $12 and light them on the propane grill, but they also start (much slower) on my electric burner as well. As has been mentioned, light them outside and look out for sparks. I have a scar on the outside of my right eyelid due to the sparking and popping they tend to do (thank god my eyes were closed when that happened). Now I go with coconut or instant coals.

[quote name='Fusion ' timestamp='1318625925' post='527792']
Yeah those are just fine, I used to buy them by the bagful at Home Depot for $12 and light them on the propane grill, but they also start (much slower) on my electric burner as well. As has been mentioned, light them outside and look out for sparks. I have a scar on the outside of my right eyelid due to the sparking and popping they tend to do (thank god my eyes were closed when that happened). Now I go with coconut or instant coals.
[/quote]

Dang! Good thing I light them on the burner in my kitchen and blow on them from a distance. I'd prefer cocos to these really, but as mentioned, I can only get AF cocos locally and importing coals (heavy) from US is just out of the question. I hope for a future and coconaras have a distributor here. Thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='MichaelLCP' timestamp='1318627584' post='527793']
The lounge I frequent uses those coals. I actually like them.
[/quote]

Good to know Mike! Gonna get some tomorrow and try out. That way I will know if I have to buy the chinese coals I use already on Sunday or not. Edited by vendetta_revived

[quote name='Hassouni' timestamp='1318633397' post='527795']
Yeah there's one lounge in DC that has em, only if you ask. If you can light them outside and attend to them, they're the way to go.
[/quote]

Can I ask why the emphasis on lighting them outside? As I said, there were no sparks (I actually just used them again for an entire session of AF lemon mint) no smell when lighting them? Is there another reason why I should light them outside that I am missing?

I did have to manage them every 15 minutes, true, but the coals I was using already ashed so much that I had to ash them every 15 minutes anyway.

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1318631543' post='527794']
[/quote]

Dang! Good thing I light them on the burner in my kitchen and blow on them from a distance. I'd prefer cocos to these really, but as mentioned, I can only get AF cocos locally and importing coals (heavy) from US is just out of the question. I hope for a future and coconaras have a distributor here. Thanks for the heads up!
[/quote]
I'd still suggest lighting them outside, but I was blowing on them from a distance, with one eye (the one that would have been seared) closed. Be careful!

[quote name='Fusion ' timestamp='1318634834' post='527798']
[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1318631543' post='527794']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I'd still suggest lighting them outside, but I was blowing on them from a distance, with one eye (the one that would have been seared) closed. Be careful!
[/quote]

I live in a three story building and there is no lawn...so lighting them outside is a no go. :( But thanks for the heads up. I guess I will skip the blowing and use a table fan turned the other way for airing them.

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1318634607' post='527796']
Yeah there's one lounge in DC that has em, only if you ask. If you can light them outside and attend to them, they're the way to go.
[/quote]

Can I ask why the emphasis on lighting them outside? As I said, there were no sparks (I actually just used them again for an entire session of AF lemon mint) no smell when lighting them? Is there another reason why I should light them outside that I am missing?

I did have to manage them every 15 minutes, true, but the coals I was using already ashed so much that I had to ash them every 15 minutes anyway.
[/quote]

The smell, smoke, and overall lingering scent. They will be fine overall, but will require constant management aside from that.

If I recall coals like that overall smell like the type that you place under the grill for cooking a burger lol

[quote name='Coyote' timestamp='1318653514' post='527817']
Ah, lumps...

I got some of those once just to try them. [b]They were harder to light, burned quick, less heat, and made mess.[/b]
[/quote]

This sounds like you could be describing something else... giggidy. :lol:

EDIT: But not me... I don't burn out too quick!

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1318646944' post='527810']
How many times have you used them? Some of the times mine would be fine and not spark, while other times they would do it REALLY bad. Maybe you just haven't experienced it yet.
[/quote]

True! I've only used 6 coals yet, and they were old. I am just on my way out now to find some of these, but I can't light them outside, but there's enough space in the kitchen and I light these in an isolated corner, so there's nothing nearby to catch a spark.

[quote name='Coyote' timestamp='1318653514' post='527817']
Ah, lumps...

I got some of those once just to try them. They were harder to light, burned quick, less heat, and made mess.
[/quote]

Well they do ash messy actually, it's white and really fine ash so just flies away everywhere! Mine burned for really long though, I got more than an hour out of 2 decently sized lumps.

[quote name='A13lackFish' timestamp='1318660603' post='527822']
[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1318634607' post='527796']
[/quote]

[/quote]

The smell, smoke, and overall lingering scent. They will be fine overall, but will require constant management aside from that.

If I recall coals like that overall smell like the type that you place under the grill for cooking a burger lol
[/quote]

Yeah they are used for grilling! And the kitchen on my floor is only used for lighting my coals so the scent can linger all it want I don't care! :D I suppose I can turn the exhaust fan on.