Restoring Vintage Brass Hookah

[quote name='Floataround' timestamp='1317671339' post='526266']
I am pretty close to being done with the cleaning process, still working on the touches on the stem. I started with baking soda, scrubbing, and then hitting with vinegar and lemon juice. I then switched to Barkeepers Friend, which worked amazingly well. I am now using a mix of hot water, lemon juice and dish soap to get all the gunk out of the inside of the stem and the vase, and then hitting it with the stem brush. The black gunk just keeps on coming..

[u][b]If i was to sell it, I would want it to go to another hookah lover, not an antique collector, so I, like you, would want it to look as good as possible at that time[/b][/u] :)
[/quote]

Bringing it back to its former glory!

[img]http://www.shrani.si/f/1g/hz/3ZsK9kqD/fotografija0059.jpg[/img]
right, photo isnt great, the light was bad and all, but you can see the hookah clearly :) also tony making faces in the background :D

Wow looks very similar! The vase is awesome, I would love to track one down. The ash tray is different, but im sure they are both from the same company ! Thanks for the picture!

Glad to here it went well. Sorry internet has been down.

I didn't realize they BKF had a liquid. I use Powder a little water and some paper towels and I am all golden.

The liquid worked great, and was about a dollar more! Thank you SO much for that god send helpful tip ! :2403:

Ok, I am starting to get just a littttle frustrated!

Cleaning the stem has been...a process. When I started, it was large amounts of black gunk coming out. I worked and worked and worked, ran baking soda with vinagear through it a few times, lemon juice, scrubbed, scrubbed, scrubbed. When all was said and done, I looked down the pipe and it looked great!

But me being a bit paranoid, gave it a sniff, and it was pretty bad still. The next morning it seemed a little better, but I was not even close to satisfied. for the last hour and a half I have been running a mix of boiling water mixed with lemon juice, and then dish soap, then more water/lemon mix, then just let as hot as my faucet would let run through it for 10 minutes. All with HUGE amounts of scrubbing during the entire thing. When I gave it a look, it looked great. The water running through it the entire time was clear. Awesome! Gave it a sniff..not so good. I have noticed that when its hot from the water, its a LOT stronger of a smell then when it is room temperature. Does Brass just have a smell to it no matter what or am I missing something?

As well..not every time, but when I scrub sometimes, if I put the tip of the stem brush to the sink and let the water drip, there will be a very diluted light brown color dripping off . Very small amount as well, but it concerns me. Not sure what else to do!

Also, to get a quick dry, would hooking it up to a vacuum cleaner tube be acceptible (yes, its clean haha). My goal was to smoke from it tonight, make sure nothing needed to be JB Welded, and then start to brasso it..

Oh, and a brasso question. After I am done brassoing it..how long do I have to wait until I can smoke/handle it? Is it good once I get the last of it buffed off?

my hookah is brass too and it does seem to retain some smell all the time no matter what I do with it, water clean etc. just like you describe, if the soaking doesnt help the smell then id say just go for it, might have a bit of an old hookah smell/taste at first but when the smoke gets going it should be all good :)

I will try that..a bit more disheartening is I stuck a rolled up paper towel in it to try and help dry..and this is with no force..it came out like this

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/qC603.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/aHc1y.jpg[/IMG]

I wont give up though!! Especially when I ordered a new Nammor and Base today, as well as a bunch of other stuff...

Keep hitting it with all the cleaning you can! Also, keep trying new brushes to get all the gunk out.

Any suggestions for brushes that would work that I could buy at any local store? No where local carries any, in my order I ordered an entire new set of brushes, but those are days away, and if I use those up then I am just playing the waiting game some more..

Pick up some toothbrushes for the more problematic spots. And pipe cleaners with hard, plastic bristles.

the only pipe cleaners I could find in three stores were the soft kind..but I will keep searching. Hopefully this big soak will help out because I coated the inside with dish soap hoping it would help disolve whatever else was in there..

Again, homebrew supply, I know there are some in MD. They have all sorts of brushes for cleaning and such. Or Aquarium supply. I got some of the brushes I use to clean the kegerator taps at a fish store.

I just googled it, thanks. Is oxy clean safe though to use inside the stem?

I just decided to connect a ton of pipe cleaners to make them thick enough and long enough to fully run through the down stem, and then was just scrubbing as best as I could. Seemed to help, because the first one was pretttty brown.

I ordered a large stem brush from H-S.com ...is that one?

Ok so update..as far as I am concerned, for the moment, its as clean as its going to be. Nothing comes out anymore when I scrub it with the brush, paper towels, or pipe cleaners. It still has a smell, but hopefully after I smoke it for a little while any weird flavor and smell. I will be TRYING to smoke it tomorrow..when I was scrubbing the vase I got with it, the grommet is so old that when I tried to take it out, it started to rip. I THINK I could still use it as long as I dont try and move it....I did order a new vase and grommet for her, but I am going to stop by the local shop and see if they have grommets. If they do, its on. If not...whenever my order comes in , unless someone tells me its fine to use the sorta tearing grommet.

Once I am sure the crack at the top is just cosmetic, I move onto brass and then being done..if it is not cosmetic, then I JB weld it, then brass, then done! Standby for a few pictures..

Well do a leak test to find out if it needs anymore JB weld and to see if the grommet is working properly. So put your stem on your base with the grommet and everything, stick your hand over the top of the hookah where the bowl would go and try to suck from the hose port. You should not be able to get any air if its all properly sealed. If you do get air, try to listen where the leak is and fix it.

I will do just that in the morning, thanks to ALL! I cant wait to hit it with the brasso, take some pictures, get my new vase and nammor in for it, and really get it going!
  • Upvote 1

She is done! I just finished with the brasso,and she really shines now! As soon as she finishes drying from her little wet down , I will be taking pictures! Hopefully smoking her tonight!!