Restoring Vintage Brass Hookah

Ah gotcha, I will look into it. Thanks!

Brasso does good work. But I would use Barkeepers Friend all over that thing first, maybe twice. Then hit it with the Brasso. BKF is a strong scouring powder and it will make all the age, and oxidation completely disappear.

That looks like great stuff, I will grab some tomorrow and hit everything thats left again! I will also have some new pictures for the other two spots that I think need the JB Weld..maybe they dont? Who knows...

And btw, do you use the powder or the liquid?

[quote name='Floataround' timestamp='1317527652' post='526081']
And btw, do you use the powder or the liquid?
[/quote]

Brasso? Liquid... Here's a video I made on polishing your hookah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn0zwRJ_aDw

Thanks, but I was talking about the Barkeepers Friend cleaning stuff. After stuie suggested it , I have read nothing but great things about it and think that will help with the last few problem spots!

I actually watched your basso video when you sent it to me before, I like to try and prepare myself as best I can before getting into something, it was helpful for sure.

Like Hass said, it is Awlad Sarhan but I don't know about the "High Value". I picked one up in Jordan about 5 years ago, 23" for about $20 (Chrome-plated solid brass) and it is one of my favorite and its the one I use most. Anyway Nazar hookah carries a few models of this brands for under $50 and they seem like a great deal and good alternative to a KM.

[url="http://www.nazarhookah.com/hookahs/awlad-sarhan"]http://www.nazarhookah.com/hookahs/awlad-sarhan[/url]

Not sure of the value at all. I tried to do some research myself , but the only thing I could find was that same website with a few models. I am pretty sure this is much older just due to the condition it was in, but for all I know that amount of tarnish could have been built up over a year if no care was given to the hookah.

Hopefully Hassouni can answer how old it might actually be, and the value on it. I think its fare to say that in the states they are at least a little hard to find in general, sense the only website I can find that caries them is nazar.

I am also trying to get an appropriate vase and hose for it..is the vase that came with it standard? I really dont think it is and was going to get a KM vase to replace it. I was going to just get another nice hose, either a KM or a second Nammor. What came with yours?

[quote name='Floataround' timestamp='1317572025' post='526113']
Not sure of the value at all. I tried to do some research myself , but the only thing I could find was that same website with a few models. I am pretty sure this is much older just due to the condition it was in, but for all I know that amount of tarnish could have been built up over a year if no care was given to the hookah.

Hopefully Hassouni can answer how old it might actually be, and the value on it. I think its fare to say that in the states they are at least a little hard to find in general, sense the only website I can find that caries them is nazar.

I am also trying to get an appropriate vase and hose for it..is the vase that came with it standard? I really dont think it is and was going to get a KM vase to replace it. I was going to just get another nice hose, either a KM or a second Nammor. What came with yours?
[/quote]
The vase it has Is a collectors item I personally wouldnt replace it except if i could get a brass one.

[quote name='S3cretz' timestamp='1317574976' post='526115']
The vase it has Is a collectors item I personally wouldnt replace it except if i could get a brass one.
[/quote]

Well I will be getting a new one, this one actually.

[url="http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/pc/catalog/Base-KM-Large-FrostedFlowers-L.jpg"]http://www.hookah-sh...edFlowers-L.jpg[/url]

I just think the flower theme works nice with the rest of the hookah.

But will not be getting rid of the base just yet. I figure, I know its not originally with the hookah, so I might as well get one I like better anyway, and is more fitting to the style.

I also picked up both the powder and liquid form of Barkeepers Friend, about to go to work. Trying to finish the actually cleaning process tonight, and then maybe start the JB weld process so when my off days, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, hit I can use the brasso and hopefully, be good to go!

BTW, are the standard Khalil Mamoon hoses washable? I wanted to get one of the new rainbow ones with Khalil Mamoon written out. It would be nice if its washable, but if not..I only see myself smoking out of this on special occasions anyway.. Edited by Floataround

Fairly positive standard KM hoses are not washable. Although I have seen newer series of hoses released that can be washed.

Your hookah looks awesome so far, cant wait to see what the BKF does and another round of Brasso.

[quote name='Floataround' timestamp='1317588638' post='526142']
[quote name='S3cretz' timestamp='1317574976' post='526115']
[/quote]

Well I will be getting a new one, this one actually.

[url="http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/pc/catalog/Base-KM-Large-FrostedFlowers-L.jpg"]http://www.hookah-sh...edFlowers-L.jpg[/url]

I just think the flower theme works nice with the rest of the hookah.

But will not be getting rid of the base just yet. I figure, I know its not originally with the hookah, so I might as well get one I like better anyway, and is more fitting to the style.

I also picked up both the powder and liquid form of Barkeepers Friend, about to go to work. Trying to finish the actually cleaning process tonight, and then maybe start the JB weld process so when my off days, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, hit I can use the brasso and hopefully, be good to go!

BTW, are the standard Khalil Mamoon hoses washable? I wanted to get one of the new rainbow ones with Khalil Mamoon written out. It would be nice if its washable, but if not..I only see myself smoking out of this on special occasions anyway..
[/quote]
Just incase you dont know Km doesnt make those vases they are more like the "reccomended" vases. So they dont hold much value. And be shure to check the vase you have bacuse many of those kind of blue gold vases have real gold on em. But if you want the hookah for personal use get the "km" vase fosho.

Real gold??? Whhaaat! Ok, now I really need to get this checked out...

That vase looks perfect for it!

The standard KM hoses are not washable. HookahCompany has some of the new KM washables, though.

I don't think the vase you have has the gold on it. That's mostly bohemian hookahs and the such. But hey, you never know...

You think the vase I have now is better for it, or the one I picked out? I am open to opinions haha, I have not ordered anything but will probably by the end of the night so I can hopefully get it by the end of the week.

I dont think so either..but like you said, stranger things have happened.

But anyway....latest update.

The BKF worked GREAT. It has helped the process so much. I really feel like at this point, the exterior work, with exception to the JD Weld (which I might not even need to do), and the brasso, is done. So, I started the part I was dreading..the inside. Even though I dont plan on using the vase I have, I gave that a few good rinses, and then filled it with baking soda, put the stem on, and poured the vinager. It worked as planned, and I started to scrub out the inside of the stem with one of my brushes...whatever was inside, came out black, from both ends, for quite a few scrubs. It seems to have stopped, but I am a little paranoid. Could have been as simple as old residue, or as nasty as mold.

The vase however, continuously dumps out blue/greenish water, not sure what that means either..makes me think mold. Not to big a worry, because as said, I planned on getting the new vase for it. But still, nasty, and I want to know what you guys think it is/was.

Currently I am on the hose port. I have pipe cleaners going through, and I also dumped some BKF down there to knock out any rust and or who knows what and scrubbed with the pipe cleaners , and am about to hit it with the tooth brush at the opening, because I can see a little spot of tarnish.

And dumb as this sounds, the inside of the stem has a little bit of a weird smell to it, not sure if thats from all of the cleaning methods, or if it was always like that...any way to get that out of their or do I just need to air it out at this point. Any thing else I can do to insure that the inside of the stem and hose port are clean and good to go??

[quote name='Floataround' timestamp='1317601774' post='526167']
You think the vase I have now is better for it, or the one I picked out? I am open to opinions haha, I have not ordered anything but will probably by the end of the night so I can hopefully get it by the end of the week.

I dont think so either..but like you said, stranger things have happened.

But anyway....latest update.

The BKF worked GREAT. It has helped the process so much. I really feel like at this point, the exterior work, with exception to the JD Weld (which I might not even need to do), and the brasso, is done. So, I started the part I was dreading..the inside. Even though I dont plan on using the vase I have, I gave that a few good rinses, and then filled it with baking soda, put the stem on, and poured the vinager. It worked as planned, and I started to scrub out the inside of the stem with one of my brushes...whatever was inside, came out black, from both ends, for quite a few scrubs. It seems to have stopped, but I am a little paranoid. Could have been as simple as old residue, or as nasty as mold.

The vase however, continuously dumps out blue/greenish water, not sure what that means either..makes me think mold. Not to big a worry, because as said, I planned on getting the new vase for it. But still, nasty, and I want to know what you guys think it is/was.

Currently I am on the hose port. I have pipe cleaners going through, and I also dumped some BKF down there to knock out any rust and or who knows what and scrubbed with the pipe cleaners , and am about to hit it with the tooth brush at the opening, because I can see a little spot of tarnish.

And dumb as this sounds, the inside of the stem has a little bit of a weird smell to it, not sure if thats from all of the cleaning methods, or if it was always like that...any way to get that out of their or do I just need to air it out at this point. Any thing else I can do to insure that the inside of the stem and hose port are clean and good to go??
[/quote]

I might be wrong as I've not used BKF, but I think you are only supposed to use it on the outside, and not use it inside the hose port as you did, or anywhere inside the hookah for that matter.

As for the smell in the stem, just wash it with lemon juice+hot water, or bath soap+hot water if the lemon juice doesn't work. Good luck!

I only used it on the hose port because there was an obvious green tarnish spot right inside that would not budge with anything else. I cant say I am overall worried about it, because it has been getting rinsed over, and over, and over, and over.

Soo the smell...is still from the black gunk. I started going, and going and going, and it just kept coming and coming and coming. So I threw some baking soda in the stem,. added some vinager and...there is a ton of baking soda stuck in my stem. Can not dislodge it. The only thing working is adding more vinegar which dissolves the block piece by piece..if anyone has any advice to speed this process up, that would be great! As well as any more cleaning tips..I already did baking soda in the vase followed y vinegar getting the foam to come up through the pipe, but that did not do the trick, any of the 3 times I did it..

Get a good stem brush for cleaning the stem. Use whatever cleaning agent you want but you NEED the brush, it will do wonders. I usually use scalding hot water and dish soap to clean my KMs. Works great and because of how old it is you'll probably have to clean it for a while until the water runs clear.

Oh I was using a stem brush that I use for my 30'' Nammor ^_^

I THINK I might have gotten it all...I used some dish soap to unjam the rest of the baking soda, and just kept scrubbing and adding baking soda..so, I think I am back where I started, except I think it is full clean this time. I am just worried that my brush does not reach far enough from either direction to clean out whatever is in there..because the last thing I want is to smoke anything that has passed through it! Any suggestions for me to be sure? Even before I started cleaning it, it was running clear for the most part, so thats why I am a little on the paranoid side. It was only once I started scrubbing with the stem brush that it got messy.

I will have some new pictures soon! I will shoot some of the ash tray because it looks waaaaaayy better then before. Everything else will get pictures when after I brasso it, and when I am smoking it

Now this is a touchy subject but when you take off all the patina from an antique, you decrease its value. If you were going to save it as an antique and "ooh I'll make bucks when I resell it", you're SOL. But (as I often do) if you just want to have an awesome looking piece, then here are some suggestions.

I have suggested in other posts to go to a local brewers supply place and see if you can get a container of Beer Line Cleaner. This is designed to clean the gunk that accumulates in beer lines (and it can get nasty, we found out the gross way - ONCE! lol). Another is to get some of the original Oxy-Clean (they also sell that in brewer supply places as carboy cleaner - the big 5-gallon glass jugs that you ferment beer/wine in, those get really super gunky). Just be sure to rinse with warm water very well!

IMO I wouldn't dig too deeply into the crevaces to clean out gunk on the surface. The patina can help bring out carvings/stamps into better relief.

I am pretty close to being done with the cleaning process, still working on the touches on the stem. I started with baking soda, scrubbing, and then hitting with vinegar and lemon juice. I then switched to Barkeepers Friend, which worked amazingly well. I am now using a mix of hot water, lemon juice and dish soap to get all the gunk out of the inside of the stem and the vase, and then hitting it with the stem brush. The black gunk just keeps on coming..

If i was to sell it, I would want it to go to another hookah lover, not an antique collector, so I, like you, would want it to look as good as possible at that time :)