Thoughts On Prayer

20 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you pray?

• Every night.
    • I try to a couple times a week.
    • Church only.
    • Maybe when someone i know is sick/has a serious problem.
    • What's the point?

While hanging out at one of my friend's apartments tonight, we somehow got on the topic of praying. Out of the 7 of us, only one said they pray actively. To quote her "I'll pray for you. I try to pray every night." This sparked the usual debate of religion, which led to me and a close friend of mine laughing about the catholic church and pope. Anyhoo, my point is this: Of 7 college kids between the ages of 19 and 22, only one said she prays often, one said she prayed the day before for the first time in a long time, and the rest said there's no point. So 2 out of 7 ever pray. How often do you guys pray, if ever? Just curious.

I personally feel praying is not necessary.

If its in my heart then my God already knows its there.

and I feel actions speak to God louder then any words ever could. If someone you care about is sick stay by there side take and take care of them. If a family you know has nothing to there name forget about praying for them go help them. If someone you love is addicted to something bad don't sit on your ass and pray that God will help them go out and get them treatment.

people use prayer as a crutch or as a way to feel like there helping without having to do anything or take any responsibility.

God helps those who help themselves but he helps those who put aside there own wants and desires in order to help others even more.

[quote name='Charley' date='22 April 2010 - 03:10 AM' timestamp='1271927400' post='464848']
I personally feel praying is not necessary.

If its in my heart then my God already knows its there.

and I feel actions speak to God louder then any words ever could. If someone you care about is sick stay by there side take and take care of them. If a family you know has nothing to there name forget about praying for them go help them. If someone you love is addicted to something bad don't sit on your ass and pray that God will help them go out and get them treatment.

[b]people use prayer as a crutch or as a way to feel like there helping without having to do anything or take any responsibility.

[/b]God helps those who help themselves but he helps those who put aside there own wants and desires in order to help others even more.
[/quote]

+1. Actually, +1 on your whole post.

Personally, I feel the word and idea of "God" is a substitute for "will power". But I have no ills for those who pray and/or attend church. Whatever floats your boat and helps you get through your day. As for me, will power gets me through all of my trials and tribulations. And each time, I have made it through somehow, and I always find some way. Edited by thatonethere

Prayer works but Charlie is correct it is through God's people those prayers are answered. Most recently My brother and some of his friends decide they are going to Haiti to see how they could help. Meanwhile in Haiti a school principal prays God will send someone with the exact skills my brother and his friends have. A family has been out of work for months. They have asked for nothing and they pray over their meager meal thanking God for what they have. Then a bunch of men are sitting around church talking about what we can do for our community and someone mentions this family. So we leave a chest freezer full of food on their porch without even saying it was us. Prayer works and God is real. I have seen it.
Ray

I've always found prayer to be confusing.

Now I will apologize ahead of time if this is a generilization. I understand next to nothing about religion, other than the rituals and practices.

If you beleive in predestination (which to my understanding, most of the major religions do) then wouldn't asking God or Allah or Yaweh to change the cource of their plan in order to suit your needs be futile?

What exactly are those who are praying expecting? (this is an honest question, I mean no offense) Do you feel as though if you pray that God will take exception with you and help you with your issue?

I meditate on a regular basis. It's relaxing, gives me focus, and on many occaisions helps to answer some otherwise tough questions. Is this essentially the same as prayer?

I tend to pray when I can no longer shut out my thoughts, feelings, or concerns...for me, it's more to vent without actually having other people hear my problems....

i used to pray a lot, but i've gotten better at shutting down....i find myself rarely praying at all now....

though, i did mark that i may pray when there are grave issues (as stated)....but, i'm more inclined to say, "what's the point?"

if you aren't strong enough to survive through it by yourself......let it kill you. Edited by Arcane

I do not happen to be Religious so my thoughts on the definition of prayer may be different, I use the word heart in the same place i would use universe or higher power.

I view prayer as a way to guide you through life rather than a means to get what you desire. When there is a situation in life when you feel lost or hopeless prayer can be a useful tool. I believe your heart knows what it wants and the right point of action, and while sometimes it is direct often times you must put everything down and listen to it. It speaks the language of life, so only by letting it commune with the world around us can we hear what it has to say. Your heart rarely speaks unless you listen with a devout attention and to me that is prayer. Often times we are afraid by what it has to say so will fill our lives to silence our heart, worried that the path it longs to take us on, will be different or even frightening. But we must succumb and accept that ultimately only it knows what you truly want. I think the confusion with prayer is that most people spend to much time trying to talk to their heart and then refuse to listen. Your heart already knows everything you have to say, and it understands your fears. Rather it should be you asking heart what path do I need to take?

As far as how much, all i know is i do not pray enough.

It's been said that prayer is talking to God. Meditation is listening. I chant as part of my daily practices, though I don't pray in the way most Christians considered as formalized prayer. I just spend plenty of time just talking to God. Working things out, even venting, or discussing whatever, (kinda one sided), but I keep the communication open constantly. It's almost like having your best friend on the phone all the time. I also meditate daily to give plenty of room to listen back. Sometimes I get a swift kick in the backside to remind me when I've gotten too far offtrack! God and I are on solid speaking terms.

'Rani

when i was younger i prayed at church and stuff...now i do with my grandma cause she's ultra religious and old and stuff and i don't wanna not pray ifshe asks meto sit with her and do sobecause i respect her....but i havent actually said a prayer in a while...other than protection typestuffin non-christian forms...like to protect me from some of the shit thats been encountered with opening up doorways andgetting into darksituations that i don't wanna deal with....

I cross my self and saya pray for safe passage whenever i drive on the freeway . My whol family dose and. i belive in the power of praying weather its actual some devine act or just intentioning we have miss accidents by mier minuets or seconds .once on our way downto palm springs for my cousins wedding we got off for gas then got back on my dad told us t pray and cross our selfs . 5 mins later a car came speeding hit van in a bad accident and we missed getting hit and being part of that acccidnet by seconds . My tio Rudy was drivingto tj did the same thing and he drove rite pass a bad pile up

[quote name='Lucy Ford' date='22 April 2010 - 02:53 AM' timestamp='1271922784' post='464837']
While hanging out at one of my friend's apartments tonight, we somehow got on the topic of praying. Out of the 7 of us, only one said they pray actively. To quote her "I'll pray for you. I try to pray every night." This sparked the usual debate of religion, which led to me and a close friend of mine laughing about the catholic church and pope. Anyhoo, my point is this: Of 7 college kids between the ages of 19 and 22, only one said she prays often, one said she prayed the day before for the first time in a long time, and the rest said there's no point. So 2 out of 7 ever pray. How often do you guys pray, if ever? Just curious.
[/quote]

Well the Bible says to pray often, Jesus taught about praying and did it himself on a regular basis. But the Bible as says that God doesn't hear the prayers of uncoverted people. So prayer is a means in which God greated his followers to make their requests.....most of the time it's usually for other people to be saved. Or for strength when persecution comes from the world.

[quote name='preacher' date='25 April 2010 - 08:39 PM' timestamp='1272253169' post='465434']
[quote name='Lucy Ford' date='22 April 2010 - 02:53 AM' timestamp='1271922784' post='464837']
[/quote]

Well the Bible says to pray often, Jesus taught about praying and did it himself on a regular basis. But the Bible as says that God doesn't hear the prayers of uncoverted people. So prayer is a means in which God greated his followers to make their requests.....most of the time it's usually for other people to be saved. Or for strength when persecution comes from the world.
[/quote]

Unconverted? Unconverted to WHAT? This suggest that God hears only the prayers of a certain faith or denomination of that faith. I'll give credit for misreading you, at least I sincerely hope I'm misreading you, but that's the kind of "us and only us" dogma that has divided the world and humanity for centuries. And it would limit God itself. Surely you cannot believe that only one faith is valid?

'Ranii

[quote name='Rani' date='25 April 2010 - 08:59 PM' timestamp='1272254341' post='465444']
[quote name='preacher' date='25 April 2010 - 08:39 PM' timestamp='1272253169' post='465434']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Unconverted? Unconverted to WHAT? This suggest that God hears only the prayers of a certain faith or denomination of that faith. I'll give credit for misreading you, at least I sincerely hope I'm misreading you, but that's the kind of "us and only us" dogma that has divided the world and humanity for centuries. And it would limit God itself. Surely you cannot believe that only one faith is valid?

'Ranii
[/quote]
In my opion i agree with no one faith being the one true faith . Judaism ,Christianity branches ,And even Muslum all share a core . Problem is people get too hung up on names . God, Jahova,Jesus, Ala; There all the same god .

[quote name='Rani' date='25 April 2010 - 10:59 PM' timestamp='1272254341' post='465444']

Unconverted? Unconverted to WHAT? This [b]suggest that God hears only the prayers of a certain faith or denomination of that faith.[/b] I'll give credit for misreading you, at least I sincerely hope I'm misreading you, but that's the kind of "us and only us" dogma that has divided the world and humanity for centuries. And it would limit God itself. Surely you cannot believe that only one faith is valid?

'Ranii
[/quote]

no, no, no. you ARE misreading. of course God [i]hears[/i] everyone's prayers, he just a certain group of people's prayers that He [i]does anything about[/i]. :lol:

sorry, j/k. i'm not a fan of that ideology; i was just having some fun.

seriously though. it depends where you go to school. you can't just take you and six friends, come up with a number and then say that ALL people in that age range fit that statistic/proportion.
1) i go to a Catholic University, if i asked that same question to 7 kids on campus, the number would probably be 5/7 or 6/7
2) people tend to be friends with people that are like themselves...so if you don't pray/aren't religious, you aren't likely to be friends with people who are...it just works out that way.

i pray every now and then. a rosary here, a Jesus prayer there. i enjoy prayers written/used by the Saints. 'talking to God' is alright sometimes, but how can our thoughts ever be elevated if our words never are? that's why i prefer latin prayers (like the Te Deum, and the Rosary) and prayers used by a variety of Saints.

does it do anything? yes, definitely. i don't pray [i]for[/i] God, though. God doesn't need our prayers. I pray out of my own need. i mean, there's something about the word 'prayer' that presupposes God. honestly though, if it were possible to divorce God from prayer, i think it would still have an effect. but what's the fun in that?

[quote name='firerat' date='22 April 2010 - 08:45 AM' timestamp='1271943907' post='464877']
I've always found prayer to be confusing.

Now I will apologize ahead of time if this is a generilization. I understand next to nothing about religion, other than the rituals and practices.

If you beleive in predestination (which to my understanding, most of the major religions do) then wouldn't asking God or Allah or Yaweh to change the cource of their plan in order to suit your needs be futile?
[color="#ff0000"]most mainstream religions do NOT believe in predestination. those are in the minority now...there are some strands of Christianity that do (like Calvinism and its variants) but those are all but dead now. if by predestination you mean that being 'saved' = going to heaven then that's rather interesting. a lot of evangelicals believe that hell exists...but none of the ones that believe that believe that they themselves may end up there...[/color]

What exactly are those who are praying expecting? (this is an honest question, I mean no offense) Do you feel as though if you pray that God will take exception with you and help you with your issue?

[color="#ff0000"]some pray for divine intervention, others pray for help, strength - people pray for anything and everything. i don't pray for these things. i think the only thing people can really pray for is the actualization of God's will (which is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, but it displays that we ourselves are not in control of every single little thing). a priest once told me that we shouldn't pray for 'signs' because they're already there, everywhere. we should pray for the ability to see and understand them.[/color]

I meditate on a regular basis. It's relaxing, gives me focus, and on many occaisions helps to answer some otherwise tough questions. Is this essentially the same as prayer?

[color="#ff0000"]to a degree. i tend to think of 'meditation' as 'the atheist's prayer.' not really sure what you are, but the point is that i understand meditation to be prayer divorced from God. they do fill a similar role, but not [i]exactly[/i] the same.
[/color][/quote]

• 1 month later...
Interesting topic. I voted i pray every night, but really I pray every morning. Start the day off with prayer. I choose not to define god or involve myself with any dogma. I meditate and i chant, I offer prayers for others, I pray for strength in dealing with my shortcoming and most important, I give thanks for all the blessings i have received. Prayer has worked for me so i have no doubts. Like Rani said prayer is talking to god, meditation is listening. Probably good to do both. It's never done me any good to pray for things for myself. I reckon thats a good way toget far from what ever your concept of god is, if he doesn't give you what you want you get pissed. As child I used to ask god for a "sign". Now I know the signs are all around me. A golden orb weaver spider spun a web in the upper portion of screen door(good place, paper wasps nest on the back porch. The old big beautiful spider was sitting in the center. I got out my tape measure He was331/2" from any part of the perfect circle that was his web in the dead and geometric center. I had to duck for a month going out the back door, for fear of messing up his (probably her) perfect web. Oh but its so interconnected and works so well!