My New Homemade Hose!

QUOTE (Scoop @ Sep 16 2009, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
should check out health hazards of pvc...i think its safe to say its really bad when the fda actually agrees thats it bad.

Tip is nylon. The only PVC is the handle. The problem with PVC is that it gives off noxious fumes when heated. As long as you aren't using it for one of the tips, it should be fine.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Zinite @ Sep 16 2009, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
should check out health hazards of pvc...i think its safe to say its really bad when the fda actually agrees thats it bad.

Tip is nylon. The only PVC is the handle. The problem with PVC is that it gives off noxious fumes when heated. As long as you aren't using it for one of the tips, it should be fine.

http://www.canada.com/cityguides/winnipeg/...49-14e4faf17e2b
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/491620

shrug. i wouldn't want it anywhere near me

QUOTE (Scoop @ Sep 16 2009, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You do know smoking is bad for you right?

QUOTE (Scoop @ Sep 16 2009, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

K I looked into this. Here's how this works... Manufactures add a softener to PVC in some applications. This allows them to use it for IV bags, packaging, shower curtains, etc. There are two concerns - one, the softener DEHP can leach from IV bags into the patient. Two - when burned, PVC with softeners releases dangerous chemicals.

None of these concerns seem to reflect on standard PVC piping. Hell, PVC pipes are commonly used in plumbing applications to carry water.

QUOTE (Zinite @ Sep 16 2009, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
None of these concerns seem to reflect on standard PVC piping. Hell, PVC pipes are commonly used in plumbing applications to carry water.

that's true...i'd assume hot water would leach out more chemicals that room temperature smoke....

Tyler: i like that black and red hose a lot....could you do the same design for the hoses you're goin to send me? but with red and yellow criss cross? and red/yellow mixed in on the fatter ends?

i actually think some of these hoses look better than the washables that are in the market today.... Edited by Arcane

QUOTE (delSol_si @ Sep 16 2009, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What would you suggest using instead of pvc?

The problem is that all of the common fittings at Lowe's and Home Depot are all PVC. There isn't a widely available alternative. At that point, you're talking about special ordering hard Acrylic tubing online, which is very expensive.

I'm not worried about it. As long as the mouth tip isn't PVC, and none of the PVC is exposed to large amounts of hot water, standing water, or any heat, we're fine.

ooooh, can't wait for mine!! btw, Tyler...they're delivering my hookah stuff on Friday...

i'm just gonna mail your stuff when i get it....can you PM me your address? Edited by Arcane

Very cool.I made a hose outa that stuff years ago when I needed a replacement I never thought of actually doing them up properly.With the handal and all.Nice work I'm inspired

Also for the mouth tip end piece you can usually find all the same connector pieces in brass.I think it might have a better feel to it than the plastic for a mouth piece.

I'm gonna do mine up with stamping leather and fringes old west style.

Thanks for this

QUOTE (twoapplesplease @ Sep 26 2009, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very cool.I made a hose outa that stuff years ago when I needed a replacement I never thought of actually doing them up properly.With the handal and all.Nice work I'm inspired

Also for the mouth tip end piece you can usually find all the same connector pieces in brass.I think it might have a better feel to it than the plastic for a mouth piece.

I'm gonna do mine up with stamping leather and fringes old west style.

Thanks for this

I don't think you want to use brass for the tip. Something about brass poisoning...

I'm not sure about getting brass poisening from the mouthpiece it seem it never gets hot enuff too burn the plastic that brass would feel cold to the touch.I'm not positive if you can get brass poisening from just contact though its not like your gonna be chewing on the thing and eating chunks.I'll look out for some stainless pieces or widdle me up a nice wood one.
Good looking out though but I don't really see it being any more/less harfull than pvc plastic after all there made for the same exact aplication its just the brass ones are the more expensive longer lasting ones.They put them on the same water tubes for your home as the plastic ones being used for your hoses