So My Brother Just Got Arrested

joytron

For selling at a rave. Bail is 2-3 grand. I am not sure what to do at this point, dont really want to bail him out as it might help him learn a valuable lesson. Any lawyers or law majors that can give me any advice on what to do at this point.

QUOTE (joytron @ Aug 16 2009, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For selling at a rave. Bail is 2-3 grand. I am not sure what to do at this point, dont really want to bail him out as it might help him learn a valuable lesson. Any lawyers or law majors that can give me any advice on what to do at this point.

id leave my brother in there to teach him a lesson too, what happens to him all depends on what his past record is, what he was selling,how much he got caught with, how much he was trying to sell, who he was selling too, and it depends if the judge got ass that day or his wife is cheating on him..know what i mean?

Morally...

I don't know your relationship with your brother. If you're close, around the same age, and if you know he'd do the same for you, I would bail him out.

If you're older and have a history of looking after him, and if you strongly disapprove of what he was doing, I would leave him in there.

The difference being: if you self-appoint yourself as his keeper and moral compass, when that hasn't been your role in the past, it will be condescending and pretentious, and that can only lead to resentment in your family.

Practically...

I know absolutely nothing about law, but if I had a brother, and one of us was in jail, and he was a bad motherfucker like me, and he was poor like me, I imagine that we'd decide that a week or so in jail is worth 3 thousand.

Leave him be. At the preliminary hearing they will most likely reduce bail, and you could go through a bondsman, but you lose the 10% . It's non-refundable. If he's never been arrested before he's going to end up with probation because I see you're in Los Angeles County and they're releasing people left and right for overcrowding. The chances of him doing any real jail time for a first offense of anything short of murder is almost guaranteed to be probation right now. And being on probation will keep him on track.

Also, contrary to popular belief, you can have a felony removed from your record but there are conditions. 1) It must be a non-violent crime iwth no strikes issued. 2) He must not do time in the state prison system. 3) He must complete probation to the satisfaction of the probation department. 4) You can only do it once. (He has to hire an attorney who withdraws the guilty verdict on the felony after completing probation and re-enters it as a misdemeanor.)

So all is not lost even if they charge him with a felony, but will teach him a lesson. Therefore, let him learn it.

'Rani

dont get me wrong guys..i do have 2 younger brothers and id take a bullet to the head for them in a second..but reason id leave him in there is to teach him a lesson..that just cause you take a shit on yourself doesnt mean big brother is going to come running with the charmins to clean your ass up you know? its tough love..if i just went and bailed him out what would he learn from that? its not like hes in prison with bubba..its just a regular jail with some characters that will put the fear of god in him and thats it..

leave him in there cuase other wise he'll think he can get out of things he started. it's a lifes lesson we all go through. hey joy i'll send you a pm for further info on this subject that will help you out. just not for the public.

QUOTE (714xDGAFxKING @ Aug 16 2009, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
leave him in there cuase other wise he'll think he can get out of things he started. it's a lifes lesson we all go through. hey joy i'll send you a pm for further info on this subject that will help you out. just not for the public.

Getting arrested and being in jail thus far might be lesson enough; besides, doesn't he still have to appear in court, probably hire representation, and get some sort of legal consequences? That's expensive and might include jail time in the future.

Its really up to you whether or not you want to bail out your brother-no one here is in your place, nor do we really know about the accusations. It depends on your relationship with him, where your relationship will go, and what you think about what he did.

If you do bail him out, ask for a receipt.

Thanks for the sound advice a friend of ours is in good standing with some lawyers as he and my brother worked at a law firm so he got him hooked up with someone pro bono. Im going to wait to the arraignment to decide whether i should put up bail or not

my .02...

Leave him in there... Chances are, like Rani said, he'll get probation... if he's really lucky, they might drop it down to a misdemeanor right away. if he has any sort of short term sentence they'll throw him in county, and they'll probably limit it to time served + probation...

I don't know what your relationship with your brother is, but if it was my brother, I'd let him sit in jail so he could get his head straight, get scared, and then I might consider bailing him out...

Kids these days....

Oh, if you don't mind me asking...do you know how much he had on him? that could play a large part in how bad he gets the book thrown at him... i know dealing is already a higher category, but he might be able to get it dropped to just a possession charge if its not all that much

well...i dunno. this is kind of a toughie...depending on the prison, i'd leave him in there. if the prison is known for bad stuff happening to inmates, i'd bail him out. if its a well-controlled prison, then leave him there.

just depends, if my brother were to be caught doing some stupid shit...i'd leave him in here. and probably say, "hey dumbass, this is what happens when you're stupid." if my brother went to jail for fighting with someone...i'd bail him out in a second. unless he lost, then first i'd laugh at him...and then bail him out.

not sure how much possibly a good amount since he got kicked out of our house for quite a bit. will find that out wednesday
just sucks this happened on my one day off this week

JOy its tough to give advice here. All I think I can say is, it seems like your brother needs some help. He obviously got kicked out of the house for the same reason and he is still up to the same old story. I wont give my oppinion as to bailing him out because only you and he understand the relationship between you. I do believe you should make it your objective that at the end of this all, you make sure he gets some help and straightens his life out.

As said before, the amount really is a determining factor for how your brother is treated by the legal system. Sharing a pocket full of pills with some friends (who have money) is likely to be more favorable than soliciting to strangers at a rave. Whatever the case, good luck to you both.

Edit:

And from someone who has had problems with club drugs in the past, a near-miss with law enforcement can do a lot to straighten you out. Additionally, the particular drug I was doing (and I'm guessing your brother was involved with due to the setting) tends to stop working after a while. They call it "loss of magic". Some people just take more to try and make it work, but many more just quit. I hope your brother gives it up, man. Edited by Svaals

yeah well it turns out he had 80 on him so hes pretty much fucked. Because of this and because of issues with the L.A. county prison system and its overcrowding my parents are posting bail, getting him on house arrest, signing him up for counseling, and making him join a treatment program. thanks for all your help guys im leaving in 20 to pick him up

I can vouch for this, it hurts like hell to hook and connect with the ring and pinky.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Aug 18 2009, 11:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bail is for suckers. If you get a good lawyer, he can spring your brother on an OR (Own Recognizance). Look at it as giving the lawyer the money you'd give the bail company.

That sounds like the voice of experience! rolleyes.gif

But it is the best course of action. Especially if your planning on pissing the $ away on a bondsman.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (giant ninja robot @ Aug 18 2009, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can vouch for this, it hurts like hell to hook and connect with the ring and pinky.

and that is how you get a "boxer's break" in your hand. and when they have to re-set your bone, just a terrible feeling

thought i'd just say this because i've had some similar experiences but it sounds like your parents made the right decision. personally i would've bailed him out. being indifferent, and leaving him in there to teach him a lesson might've only alienated him from yourself and/or the family which would not do him any good and could possibly make things worse. no one's perfect. i think if you ended up in there, you would want him to bail you out even though you knew you deserved to be in there. at least that's how i see it. but i don't know you or your family so i know i could be completely missing the mark.