What Did People Do In The Old Days Without Foil?

I have seen it before in movies like "Casablanca" and "Arabian Nights," some kind of coiled rope looking set up on the bowl. What was it for? Also, what did they use in the bad old days to cover their bowls with, or did they just put the coals right on the shisha?

Exactly as mush mentioned.

My dads friend smokes zaghloul, and uses no foil because thats the way it is meant to be smoked.

I tried it once, but it was just wrong. Tasted "negative", had this weird after taste..just wrong.

Also, I've heard that flavored tobacco we use with screens/foil were first made to target the female audience and intoduce them to hookah smoking.

QUOTE (MeHT @ Mar 8 2009, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, I've heard that flavored tobacco we use with screens/foil were first made to target the female audience and intoduce them to hookah smoking.

yup, i have an egyptian friend, who said that the kind of tobacco we smoke today, was only meant for girls when it was first made.

Actually,, id read that in 1986, the egyptian government was concerned with the number of people smokign cigs. they went to Nakhla and tried to figure out how to make the traditional hookah more attractive to younger people, male and female, who were taking up ciggarettes.

The answer was making hookah taste better, thus the flavoured stuff.

yep pretty much, thats what mu'essal was made for. If you go to a real coffee shop in the middle east its a bunch of older men smoking tombac playing backgammon and cards. My grandpa laughs at me when i tell him i smoke mu'essal lol.

QUOTE (mushrat @ Mar 8 2009, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
l;ets not forget other early versions like zaghoul and moussal Saloum.

But for real traditional, Tombac/ajamey.

See the video in the video section for how to prepare it.

I keep forgetting to bring this up...but unless I lost my mind... the video section has been gone... for several months actually.

QUOTE (MeHT @ Mar 8 2009, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So basically hookah has become the shirley temple, wine coolers, or other fruity drinks of smoking....?

ya thats a pretty good video. not exactly the same as the methods in the middle east, but pretty close. the tombac there comes chopped up then you rinse it, then you squeeze it, then you pack it on the bowl. basically just the tobacco isnt huge leaves like that. consistancy is similar to mu'essal, just not loaded with flavors, glycerin, and the other stuff.