What Am I Doing Wrong With Tangiers

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Nov 9 2008, 05:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH-gdqxEpPA

My Video on How to Pack Tangiers

I pack mine like this too, except I *maybe* put a little more force on it when I smash it down with the foil to pack it a little tighter, but otherwise, exactly like this video.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

screw the fork, i just use my hands, personally i have never had good luck with that style of packing. i usually use my mod bowl for tangiers though, packing it pretty dense and leaving the center open. when i rarely use my phunnel i never pack it that high, i pack it pretty firmly up to the top of the center hole. i find that by doing that where you push on it and get the juices all on the foil it kind of burns a little and makes a crust but by having space in between the tobacco and foil the top doesnt char and seal off the bottom shisha and give bad flavor. by being able to put coals on and get smoke that fast the smoke your getting is just the juices vaporizing.

while this method works for some people and thats how erik packs it at tangiers there are others (like me) that can pack it almost any way and get the same results, granted its not as perfect as i have had before but most of the flavors smoke very well for me

-matt

QUOTE (Hippo_Master @ Nov 10 2008, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never have a center hole in my foil, I, like gaia, get noticeably airy and light smoke. My center hole stays unplugged by foil because the tobacco keeps it lifted up.

same here on the hole. my phunnel was made perfect and the center hole has a good amount of space so the foil never falls on to it

-matt

i put holes everywhere, smokes identical to if i dont put holes in the center.

ps. voski, you saw me pack it first hand you still have problems? sigh lol

pps. the oils on your hands can interfere with the flavor in the tobacco. using fork ftw

QUOTE (liquidglass @ Nov 10 2008, 03:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Nov 10 2008, 03:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (liquidglass @ Nov 9 2008, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude you packed that stuff in there hard core, I've never seen anyone pack it down as hard (2nd vid) but glad you got it working!

Question for Bulldog though. Why the hole in the center? I've seen some people do this before and I think I've even done it when I used a fork to poke holes with tangiers. But IMO you get less smoke and more chances of having "smoke flavor" come down the shaft.

I put a hole in the center, I get thick, flavorful wonderful smoke. How you dont put a hole in the center and dont suck the foil down into the hole is mysterious to me. I dunno, to each his own. My method worked for Voski and works for me. If it doesnt work for you, then it doesnt work for you I suppose.

Fair enough I agree to each his own, but I'm always up for learning. When I pack tangiers I use Snoopy's method then I press down with my palm then I actually outline the middle hole with my thumb. Then I use a skewer or a toothpick and poke everywhere but the center, never had it pull down on me at all.

IMO unless the hole is higher than the sides of the puhnnel you should be fine and it looks from the vid like you pulled the foil tight enough so it wouldn't sag. But hey as long as you're getting awesome tangiers clouds and tasty flavor then that's I care about.

I used the no-holes-in-the-center method for my session the other night with some blackberry mix and it dragged on the pull a little bit. Poked some holes in the center and it opened up. I dont notice any flavor loss in either method. I learned the hole patternn for Tangiers from Rayver when he was around in early January, when I first started with Tangiers. I kind of put my own spin on it, but it's what works for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjF8kRw1Q7A

i just smoked some tangiers and packed it only 1/3 of the bowl up, but as firm as i normally would, it smoked pretty well for me, just kept the holes pretty far out. it took a while to warm up but great clouds and no harshens at all, not perfect flavor but it was fine.

i think packing it that high is a wast personally, so try leaving a good amount of space just keep it firmly packed

-matt

QUOTE (Scoop @ Nov 10 2008, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

pps. the holes on your hands can interfere with the flavor in the tobacco. using fork ftw

Everytime I try to do the scoop thing you did I think I get way to much tobacco and the bowl just goes to complete shit. =(

QUOTE (voski @ Nov 11 2008, 03:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Scoop @ Nov 10 2008, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

pps. the holes on your hands can interfere with the flavor in the tobacco. using fork ftw

Everytime I try to do the scoop thing you did I think I get way to much tobacco and the bowl just goes to complete shit. =(

seriously just use your hands and pack it as densely as you would be with the scoop or fork in or what ever method just pack it with some space between the foil and bowl and see if it smokes better for you

-matt

Thanks for the video Voski, I packed it the same way but packed it waaaaay too tight with my fingers before I foiled it and I think it was just too tight, seriously it was insanely packed so I'm going to follow your vid exact, and Bulldog thanks for the initial vid.

I got a question on my Tangiers it seems as if its smoking a bit harsh and the taste is a bit bland.

Could the reason be that I put the old tabaco from the old bowls I smoke back in my tub? ovbiously its the unused the tabacco at the bottom but could this be the reason that some bad tabbaco that I didnt notice get in there and I ruined the whole batch by mixing it?

Almost tastes ashy :-\ Edited by newjacksm

QUOTE (newjacksm @ Nov 11 2008, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got a question on my Tangiers it seems as if its smoking a bit harsh and the taste is a bit bland.

Could the reason be that I put the old tabaco from the old bowls I smoke back in my tub? ovbiously its the unused the tabacco at the bottom but could this be the reason that some bad tabbaco that I didnt notice get in there and I ruined the whole batch by mixing it?

Almost tastes ashy :-\

i wouldnt do that personally, it could be the reason its messing up but not positive but i would blame it personally
-matt

QUOTE (newjacksm @ Nov 11 2008, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i like that you have three different and still incorrect spellings of tobacco

QUOTE (cr15p3rz @ Nov 12 2008, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (newjacksm @ Nov 11 2008, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i like that you have three different and still incorrect spellings of tobacco

laugh.gif

I've tried a ton of bowls by now. Nothing's been working. Phunnel and regular mya. With the mya, I've been packing down hard the initial layer and loosely adding the rest. I've done half filled in the mya as well as all the way. Big holes, small holes. With the phunnel, I've done filled to the top of the hole, as well as to the top, and even above it. Tried golden coals, japanese, and romman wood.

As to acclimation, I had it all open to the air, mixing every hour or so for a few hours. Now it's in the jar, and I'm still thinking it needs more acclimation. I'll leave the jar open and mix a few times a day. Close the jar at night.

Harsh as hell and not much smoke (at least it's too harsh to pull much smoke).

Christ. I tried two years ago with no success. Got another batch and still the same exact deal.

Smoking out of a new mya regular sized hookah. Small nammor (%$^&$#%$%# came from hookah shisha with the thread pretty much completely unwrapped)

Cut the amount of coal you are using in half. Then SLOWLY add more until you get a nice smoke. Acclimate in your house till it smells right for the flavor or 24 hours, whichever comes first. Smoke in your house as well. Or, if it's outside, do all that outside.

• 3 weeks later...
I know this is an old thread but..Ya know lol

Voksi I have a question...Which method worked best for you? The 2nd or Bulldogs method?

I promised I would give up on Tangiers forever since I've had little to no success with the tobacco in the past. But all this talk about Tangiers makes me wanna give it another shot!

QUOTE (JillyIsJustKidding @ Dec 7 2008, 12:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know this is an old thread but..Ya know lol

Voksi I have a question...Which method worked best for you? The 2nd or Bulldogs method?

I promised I would give up on Tangiers forever since I've had little to no success with the tobacco in the past. But all this talk about Tangiers makes me wanna give it another shot!

jilly from what ive found its 90% about it being acclimated right (in my case i didnt acclimate at all and it was fine where as when i acclimated before it ruined it). just get it to smell right go from there. an egyptian bowl is easier and less waste to start with and you get good smoke still just leave a hole down the center
-matt