Need Help On Getting A Smooth Session

Hi all
I've had my hooka for three months now, and this is what it looks like: EDITBlue-Royal-Syrian-Hookah.asp You have entered a link to a website that the administrator does not allow links to/well, forget it then. don't look at my hookah
Not a cheaper-looker...
The hose that came with it was much too tight and had to be replaced with a bigger diameter. I've got a kouple of kilos of af, nakhla, tangiers and some starbuzz. Happy I got the starbuzz, since I got that working fairly well. The others are useless to me- I can't smoke them. Starbuzz sweet apple is what I have.

My problems are that I get little taste, if it tastes anything it tastes burnt or otherwise awkward, and the smoke is either smokable but very thin, or much too harsh and thick.
I've tried all the different brands of wacky tabacky, but none work well... what I'm gunning for here is a good taste, but above all good buzz... I've tried that in a lounge so I know it's out there! Cuz I can't do harsh smoke, I'm not a cig smoker.
I even brought a persian guy home (iran) and he showed me, turns out they don't use aromated tabacky in iran, only the plain taste, and the coals he dumped straight into the tabacky! So they are used to a very strong and harsh cigar like smoke... Wow, the differences. So you don't care about that method of approach, I bet... BUT TRY THIS: he fired his coals up outside, and before he put them in his hookah, he put the coals in sort of a slingshot, whirling it around in the air, and the coals got red hot! Beats breathing on them or using a hairdryer maybe? Anyways
Since he could not make it the harsh little way, I checked youtube and all the vids posted here and they were of some help. The first thing I did was cut down the size of the exoticas... They need to be as small as possible. Dunno why the big chunks work for some. But I need to use 3-4 small pieces.

Seeing as I haven't been able to get this going right, any suggestions on how to make it right? My bowl is abit too small, but what I wanna try is changing my base. Currently it is full of ice and as cold as I can get it, dunno if this helps... I wanna try coconut milk, but dunno if I shud fill it all the way up... Will let you know how that worked later tomorrow.

Advice on how to smoke starbuzz sweet apple appreciated=) good things to have in the base? hot or cold water? one or two pieces of foil? hole size and pattern? tightly or loosely packed? funnel or standard bowl? skalli mod or not?

It capitalized each word because that's soemthing the forum engine does, don't ask me why...

As for your set up. StarBuzz is a very low heat tobacco. It sounds like you are getting it WAY to hot. What type of coals do you use, how many pices do you use etc... If you use the right heat, you don't need the double foil.

Pack it very loosly. more of a sprinkle method. Try to draw air in through the bottom of the bowl before you add the foil. If its even a little restricted, repack it.

Watch out putting ice in the base, make sure the base is cool. I cracked my favorite base by washing it in warm watter then adding cold water from the fridge. bad scene.

I use about 20-25 hiles using a toothpick in a spiral, try to only use the very tip of the toothpick.
a standard bowl should work just fine with SB.

Also remember that if your smoke is harsh from the get-go to make sure there is at least a millimeter between the foil and the tobacco. Keep in mind that with double foil and the weight of the coals you may be stressing the foil to the point it touches the tobacco even if you have wrapped it tightly around the bowl.

QUOTE (superomario @ Apr 29 2008, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also remember that if your smoke is harsh from the get-go to make sure there is at least a millimeter between the foil and the tobacco. Keep in mind that with double foil and the weight of the coals you may be stressing the foil to the point it touches the tobacco even if you have wrapped it tightly around the bowl.

My foil sits on the tobacco with no ill effect. a personal prefrence more than anything.

QUOTE (mushrat @ Apr 29 2008, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My foil sits on the tobacco with no ill effect. a personal prefrence more than anything.

man, I don't get that! How do you get good, non-harsh smoke with the coals touching the tobacco?! Do admins have some divine, shisha powers? I would like some please. But seriosuly, I marvel at that. The smoke doesn't get harsh AT ALL?! What brand you be smokin?

Just spent the last two hours. Pakked a small klay bowl of starbuzz, 2 foil, three small exotika koals, got no buzz, no taste. Then it got harsh and i stopped that session. Tried same small klay bowl with tangiers strawberry (smells like likorice) with 50%kokonut milk 50% water in the vase, tasted horrible right away. Tried starbuzz again in a funnel bowl with the skalli mod, noted that airflow was much better, used double foil and three small koals, was not enough so added another small koal and a windkover. Maybe the first pulls with the windkover it tasted abit... Then it got harsh. I kan't get those thikk klouds with that strong buzz! At a lounge I tried, one good lungfull knokked me out, when I set it up it tastes nothing and no buzz... I have loads of al fakher and tangiers but those are horrible no matter how I set it up.
Looking at the vase, I kan hardly see the stem, so that is a good sign I suppose.
I even put the vase in a bukket of water and ice this time, dunno if this even helps the least.

End of the line is, starbuzz is the only brand that works fairly, and with that I get average klouds, no buzz and little taste. If I add more koals to heat things up, or a windkover, it harshens and makes me kough.
Af and tangiers are always little smoke and taste burnt.
Gonna klean the equipment now, and set it up again tomorrow following the ideas posted here. so thanks=)
Sorry about the k

Usually what I do is
1. Scoop up some shisha with a spoon after stirring
2. Sprinkle shisha into bowl
3. Put foil over bowl
4. Poke holes all the way through the shisha and down into the bowl holes with a toothpick
5. Poke smaller holes in concentric circles all the way through the shisha with a safety pin
6. Bore a hole through a quicklight coal with a screwdriver (read it somewhere, seems to work great)
7. Light coal
8. Blow on or fan coal
9. Put coal on bowl, smoke away.

Try that. Seems to work fine for me.

Depends on the koal... If you're using three kings it is supposed to be good, anything else is rumored to be bad cuz it is too cheap to be good. I use exotika koals, don't think anyone is gonna say they're bad. Lots of work to cut them up, though...

1. Sprinkle shisha into the bowl. Pack it all the way to the top of the rim, packed down GENTLY.

2. Foil the bowl, shiny side down (I know its personal preference, but it works). Poke small, pin sized holes ALL OVER THE BOWL.

3. Heat up 2, count them, 2 halves of a quick light coal and set them directly ACROSS from each other. If you arent getting good smoke, add another half in a triangular formation. Once it gets going, ax that half and stay with 2.

4. Make sure you arent trying to take freaking monster hits from the bowl, it isnt meant to be sucked like a vacuum. Take easy, slow pulls from it. If you pull too hard, it'll get harsh from the amount of air you're giving the coal to burn.

QUOTE (theotherone31415 @ Apr 30 2008, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

man, I don't get that! How do you get good, non-harsh smoke with the coals touching the tobacco?! Do admins have some divine, shisha powers? I would like some please. But seriosuly, I marvel at that. The smoke doesn't get harsh AT ALL?! What brand you be smokin?

Got me man..though you have to remember i pack hookahs for a living...so perhaps practice makes perfect?

I do it with SB,Tangiers,AA,layalina,AF,Al Ajamy, Nakhla...you name it. Just got to learn to regulate your heat right....

QUOTE (mushrat @ Apr 30 2008, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (theotherone31415 @ Apr 30 2008, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Got me man..though you have to remember i pack hookahs for a living...so perhaps practice makes perfect?

I do it with SB,Tangiers,AA,layalina,AF,Al Ajamy, Nakhla...you name it. Just got to learn to regulate your heat right....

That is really odd to me. If mine touches it starts smoking and all the shisha sticks to the foil and blackens and I have to scrape it off.

Make sure the water and ice are not to full, the stem should only be about a little less than an inch in to the water

also not to many coals even 1 coal will give you smoke, i use just enough to cover the out side of the bowl and leave the center empty

if its harsh (burning your throat) and you the tobacco is not burn then you have to many coals ( the smoke is to hot)

the foil should be full of tiny holes, I use a sewing needle and put plenty of holes

I have had my tobacco packed slightly over the rim of the bowl..with foil touching the tobacco...no burn at all. I used to not care at all..but now that I got the phunnel bowl..i started making sure that the tobacco is sitting just under the rim.

It became a habit to slightly pack under the rim.

QUOTE (Big-Vito @ May 1 2008, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm gonna try an underpacked bowl now, maybe I keep messing up and the tabacky is touching the foil? sometimes it sticks to the foil... yea I'll try that

Underpacking a bowl may well cause you as many problems actually.

Don't worry about Tobacco touching foil - it should not present major issues. All my bowls have foil touching tobacco.

Remember the original style of tobacco would not have any screen - just a coal thrown right into the middle of it!

It's more likely you have not got enough holes - Try bigger one's, or more of them, or a combination of the two and how much heat you have.

Also Stir your tobacco before packing, I do this with all of them and then kind of fluff it into the bowl. Then pack it down a little and pack a lot biggrin.gif

JD Edited by Johnny_D