Homemade Screens

What have you guys fabricated screens out of?

I made one out of the side a aluminum can that I punched prbly like 30 little holes in it with a sewing machine.

Right now I'm using one made out of the bottom of a steel can that I punched holes in with a nail.

I'm kinda worried a little about the steel, I brazed it with lighters before using it to get off any and all coating they could of put on it to protect the food, but I'm not sure how safe it is in the long run.

Any thoughts? Edited by stupidsongs2

Steel (food) cans contain a very thin layer of aluminum to prevent rust.

This is why I never buy dented tins. It is entirly possible for the alum layer to crack and
possibly have rust inside the tin.

Also why Super markets sell dented tins cheap and quick!

Having said all that, why not just buy a screen for smoking. Smiley's does a most righteous glass screen!

JD

Edit :- Added to say that this may only apply to the UK

QUOTE (Johnny_D @ Jul 3 2007, 02:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steel (food) cans contain a very thin layer of aluminum to prevent rust.

This is why I never buy dented tins. It is entirly possible for the alum layer to crack and
possibly have rust inside the tin.

Also why Super markets sell dented tins cheap and quick!

Having said all that, why not just buy a screen for smoking. Smiley's does a most righteous glass screen!

JD

Edit :- Added to say that this may only apply to the UK

I've read that the cans have thin layers of tin, which seems to be the most non-toxic metal in existence...

To can foods, they need to heat it up inside the can to make sure all the bacteria inside is dead, so if that doesn’t release any chemicals, I can’t imagine a coal would be much worse.

QUOTE (ahwahoo2006 @ Jul 3 2007, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why wouldn't you just buy a hookah screen or just use aluminum foil?

A) Because this is the "make stuff yourself" forum
cool.gif Poking holes in the aluminum foil is a bitch, especially if your drunk (usually when I use my hookah)
C) Using new aluminum foil every time you smoke is surely detrimental to your heath unless you braise it before using.

QUOTE (stupidsongs2 @ Jul 3 2007, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ahwahoo2006 @ Jul 3 2007, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why wouldn't you just buy a hookah screen or just use aluminum foil?

C) Using new aluminum foil every time you smoke is surely detrimental to your heath unless you braise it before using.

How do you figure?

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (Sonthert @ Jul 30 2007, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, this conversation.

Aluminum is found in the brain in Alzheimer's victims. To assume that using aluminum foil causes Alzheimer's is along the same lines as believing hats cause baldness. The linked Alzheimer's site says that there is a link (aluminum is found in the brain of Alzheimer's victims), but "No causal relationship has been found." That is, aluminum doesn't cause Alzheimer's. In other countries (I believe France is one of them), they use aluminum hydroxide and/or aluminum sulfate for water purification in rural areas. Those people often have aluminum intakes of 20-30 times the amount of aluminum that the Average American does, yet there is no increase in Alzheimer's or brain damage or aluminosis or anything aluminum related. If there was a causal relationship, people would more or less, have higher rates of Alzheimer's as they drank more and more aluminum entered their bodies. It doesn't, so, I would think aluminum is safe. Ironically, the logic that aluminum is dangerous and the mechanism for its introduction into the body by smoking works would make a steel screen far more dangerous. Iron is poisonous and is far more amenable to vaporization than is aluminum.

One of my new theories is that either Pro-Nazi skin-heads or anti-smoking nut-jobs invented the aluminum myth...or somebody else. I don't know

most people throw their food into aluminum and then put it to cook, they in no way braze their aluminum so no need to do that.

American made cans cannot have lead more than the FDA allotted amount. The same goes for the SEAL of the can. Watch out, old cans can be soldered shut... that means potential lead.

I received a package today from a customer of ours in Oregon who had a can of pineapples. Nothing wrong with it, but the high acidity level ate away at the protective layer of the inside can and when the lady opened the can, a lot of rust was present. She wasn't happy, we weren't happy for letting her down.

I hand delivered it to Corporate Food Technologies and they said it was a fairly normal occurrence.

I would be very careful about the kind of can you use. The layer of plastic and chemicals are safe to prevent discoloration on the inside of a can and are fit to be consumed in small amounts, they are not fit to burn and be smoked in gaseous form.

QUOTE (ghostofdavid @ Jul 31 2007, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
American made cans cannot have lead more than the FDA allotted amount. The same goes for the SEAL of the can. Watch out, old cans can be soldered shut... that means potential lead.

I received a package today from a customer of ours in Oregon who had a can of pineapples. Nothing wrong with it, but the high acidity level ate away at the protective layer of the inside can and when the lady opened the can, a lot of rust was present. She wasn't happy, we weren't happy for letting her down.

I hand delivered it to Corporate Food Technologies and they said it was a fairly normal occurrence.

I would be very careful about the kind of can you use. The layer of plastic and chemicals are safe to prevent discoloration on the inside of a can and are fit to be consumed in small amounts, they are not fit to burn and be smoked in gaseous form.

That happens a lot that I've seen, but mainly only once oxygen enters back into the picture in great amounts. Typically we'd see a lot of this in my cooking school when a 100'er would open a can of acidic fruit, and leave it in the walk-in still in the can so they wouldn't have to go through the trouble of finding a new container. That's weird though, to see that as soon as you open it.

QUOTE (The fabulous Ian @ Aug 1 2007, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ghostofdavid @ Jul 31 2007, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That happens a lot that I've seen, but mainly only once oxygen enters back into the picture in great amounts. Typically we'd see a lot of this in my cooking school when a 100'er would open a can of acidic fruit, and leave it in the walk-in still in the can so they wouldn't have to go through the trouble of finding a new container. That's weird though, to see that as soon as you open it.

whats a 100'er?

my guess would be a newbie, taking 100 level courses(like in college, freshman courses)

and as far as home made screens go, i made myself a resuable one when i first got my hookah. i took some thin gauge stainless steel that i bought from my hardware store, drilled a bunch of holes through it, and trimmed it using a dremel tool to fit right on top of the bowl, with 4 little tabs coming down to keep it secure.

it got crushed one day while i was moving my hookah from my parents house down to school, and i never took the time to make another one. tin foil works just as well.... Edited by leadpipecinch21