A Bit Ovverated Or Just Me? (No Disrespect Intended)

Yeah, I would say so. According to the Nakhla reps on the forums, he said they DO use molasses and glycerin. He said it is not a translation error that some claimed. They DO use molasses AND glycerin in their shisha.

Just stating what the Nakhla rep on another forum stated.

Regarding dye........ I think perhaps it's not being looked at logically.  Think of color itself.  You can start out with a light base, in this case tobacco which as I recall is a light brown naturally.  Most of them anyway, though there are some darker brown naturally occurring.  Think cigars which are usually simply moistened wrapped leaves .  Anyway,  you can make it darker, but you can't make it lighter, unless you bleached it out and why would you?  In other words, if tobacco were naturally black, red and yellow dyes wouldn't cover it.  However, black dye will cover the pale brown of natural tobacco.  Flavorings that can stand up to heat almost always have dye added to them because they're almost always synthetic.  So either the darker tobaccos are using a naturally very, VERY dark leaf, or there's dye in the flavoring.  We all know the red stuff is obviously dyed, but when you stop and think logically about color itself, then it brings up a whole new component to the dye versus no-dye argument.

'Rani

Regarding dye........ I think perhaps it's not being looked at logically.  Think of color itself.  You can start out with a light base, in this case tobacco which as I recall is a light brown naturally.  Most of them anyway, though there are some darker brown naturally occurring.  Think cigars which are usually simply moistened wrapped leaves .  Anyway,  you can make it darker, but you can't make it lighter, unless you bleached it out and why would you?  In other words, if tobacco were naturally black, red and yellow dyes wouldn't cover it.  However, black dye will cover the pale brown of natural tobacco.  Flavorings that can stand up to heat almost always have dye added to them because they're almost always synthetic.  So either the darker tobaccos are using a naturally very, VERY dark leaf, or there's dye in the flavoring.  We all know the red stuff is obviously dyed, but when you stop and think logically about color itself, then it brings up a whole new component to the dye versus no-dye argument.

'Rani

This girl knows her stuff! lol No argument here! 

I'm disappointed in the change Eric made to the Lucid line. I've smoked 2 different flavors from this new tobacco he's used, it is less moist, and doesn't smoke as good. The smoke is wimpy and a bit more harsh (and yes, I've tried packing it different, tighter, lighter, more heat, less heat, etc). I guess I'll have to see what happens with the Birquq line, I have 50/50 experience with it, 1 good batch, 1 bad batch.  Right now, Nak smokes 10x better than Tang.

Oh, and one of the flavors I currently have, my dad has a batch from prior to the change. The consistency is different for sure.

I'm not sure what kind it is exactly, but I have family that grows tobacco for a living. When they cure it, it ends up being almost completely black. That's nothing added to it, just dried/cured tobacco. Depending on what type different shisha manufacturers use can have a role in why certain brands are darker/lighter than others. I do think that most of the dyed look(red, golden, etc) does come from flavorings mostly. 

I'm not sure what kind it is exactly, but I have family that grows tobacco for a living. When they cure it, it ends up being almost completely black. That's nothing added to it, just dried/cured tobacco. Depending on what type different shisha manufacturers use can have a role in why certain brands are darker/lighter than others. I do think that most of the dyed look(red, golden, etc) does come from flavorings mostly. 

Yeah but bear in mind cigars can be any and all shades of brown, and that's pure tobacco with nothing added.  There are many different ways to cure, some turn black, others not.

For me, when I wrote my thoughts on the color of tobacco, I went to Google and looked for images "cured tobacco".  Looks all light brown to me.  But again, i'm not a tobacco expert.  Just a writer and artist who knows a little something about color.  Oh, and you are correct that molasses can be very dark.  There's a reason they call it 'blackstrap".

'Rani

• 1 month later...
Honestly IMO the thing about tangiers is the flavors can be over hyped. But honestly the tobacco is excellent quality, if of course you can get it to smoke right. Which is really not that hard. But that's not on the tobacco it's on the preparer. It's pretty much like a meat, you can screw up a grade a quality meat but when you do it right and it's 10x better than the meat in TV dinners where all you do is microwave it. that's how I view easier tobaccos basically just instant (sort of) satisfaction. But like I said flavors can be overhyped where one would assume ok this is the best one so if I try this one I'll like tangiers. Like me I got horchata, the horchata I'm used to in San Antonio is more like aguas frescas than just plain rice milk with cinnamon. Meaning it's watered down and sweater, not thick milky. And when i smoked the tobacco that's what I got flavor was somewhat good but the flavor was toooo strong and think from what I like, that's not a knock on the tobacco, It tasted exactly what it was supposed to taste like but it wasn't to my liking, thankfully I ordered grapefruit with it and loved it and continued ordering other flavors. Also what I've noticed is be aware of what your set up is. Everything effects the taste. my kaloud lotus makes cherry, tropical punch, Aussie juice, just bad smoked them regular they where much stronger. Same goes for the use of the ice tip kills some too. But there's some flavors that are effected positively by these things like cane mint with my lotus and Ice tip can not be touched by any other tobacco with any other set up. Smoke it regular first see how you like it before you right it off.

Honestly IMO the thing about tangiers is the flavors can be over hyped. But honestly the tobacco is excellent quality, if of course you can get it to smoke right. Which is really not that hard. But that's not on the tobacco it's on the preparer. It's pretty much like a meat, you can screw up a grade a quality meat but when you do it right and it's 10x better than the meat in TV dinners where all you do is microwave it. that's how I view easier tobaccos basically just instant (sort of) satisfaction. But like I said flavors can be overhyped where one would assume ok this is the best one so if I try this one I'll like tangiers. Like me I got horchata, the horchata I'm used to in San Antonio is more like aguas frescas than just plain rice milk with cinnamon. Meaning it's watered down and sweater, not thick milky. And when i smoked the tobacco that's what I got flavor was somewhat good but the flavor was toooo strong and think from what I like, that's not a knock on the tobacco, It tasted exactly what it was supposed to taste like but it wasn't to my liking, thankfully I ordered grapefruit with it and loved it and continued ordering other flavors. Also what I've noticed is be aware of what your set up is. Everything effects the taste. my kaloud lotus makes cherry, tropical punch, Aussie juice, just bad smoked them regular they where much stronger. Same goes for the use of the ice tip kills some too. But there's some flavors that are effected positively by these things like cane mint with my lotus and Ice tip can not be touched by any other tobacco with any other set up. Smoke it regular first see how you like it before you right it off.