Why Do We Continue To Send Aid To Foreign Countries?

ChicagoRSX

Saw today we are sending $155 million in aid to Syria. To me, this screams of BS. I'm tired of seeing money going overseas when everyday citizens are losing their homes. Why can't we just say "sorry, everyone says we try to police the world, our bad. We will keep to ourselves until further notice." And just call it a day? Take that money we were going to give to other nations, and take care of our own? I don't mind helping others, but when inevitably they turn their back on us and make us the bad guys 6 months from now, what is the point? Remember the same Iraqi's that were jumping up and down when we tore down that statue of Sadam, were the same ones that killed our soldiers, burned their bodies, and hung them off that bridge.

this is not meant as anti USA but just my thought on the ways countries do shit in general:
when sending financial aid to a foreign country there is something to be gained in return, either now or in the future. its not actually meant to help them out, more like USA will be owed a solid for it. and your regular people that need clothes, food, shelter etc. dont matter as much as potential money to be made to the government.

same here in the outer regions of planet Earth, the Netherlands. We're being taught that the US goverment does this for oil. If you aint got no black gold an all, we aint gonna help ya

The minute you turn someone or a country away in their time of need all hope in humanity is lost... I understand that u think that, that money could be better spent at home and I am sure a lot of organizations would benefit from just a fraction of that money but in the grand scheme of things it's not that much.
However the world has to run on a bit of fair play . Giving when you can with the hope that god forbid your turn for help comes around someone is there to help you. I remember when the US was hit by Katrina my little 2x4 speck of dirt island sent money and items towards the relief effort what little we could have.

The point is if ppl stopped only seeing $ and lived as our brothers keepers again the world may be a slightly better place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From a historical standpoint it should be noted that the UK used to do this A LOT (even higher than the US' level of participation) before WWII. However, after the war and after at least two attempts to help bail UK out of their situation, the title of "world police" as we know it now was given over to the US. Possibly due in part to the US' then supreme superiority in military power with the Manhattan project. Some years after this is why the US became involved in Vietnam, Korea, and numerous African situations when we stood to gain nothing but helping our then allies' best interests. Sure, our partnership with Saudi Arabia is based on oil and initially the Israel conflict, but thinking back to desert shield, the then CIA established Al-Qaeda (which was started by the US CIA) became corrupt and cells began to invade Kuwait in an attempt to gain tactical advantage over Saudi Arabia. The US thwarted that in less than 100 hours. I would proposition everyone who thinks of the US as a bully and only involved in self-interest to ask themselves: what would the world think if the US stopped sending aid, monetary or military, to countries in need and just let situations on foreign land play out on their own? I'm sure they would be quick to call on the US as pussies. There's a lot going on that we don't know about and call it being naïve but I think we are handling most (being the operative word) situations correctly.

Agreed with almost everything that has been said, but the issue isn't millions in humanitarian aid here and there, we need to look where the bulk of our aid is going. Syria is going through an extremely violent and brutal war and it is the "modern" thing to do to send money to basically try to keep some people living.

I think what we have to look at more closely is our indiscriminate aid that has continued for far too long. Such as, oh, I don't know, the $4.9 million going to Israel EVERYDAY since its inception in 1948. This is where we need to look, not drop in the bucket humanitarian aid here and there. Where is our so called "kickback" from Israel? Oh, what makes this even better is that every time Israel indiscriminately bombs a country we end out paying aid to said besieged country's civilians.

Israel is where the US military develops a lot of the technology they get that is soon passed on to the world. The iPhone? Nothing new, they've had similar toys in the military since the early 1990s. Drone planes? Developed just outside of Tel Aviv. EMP grenades? Way before Call of Duty got them, they were developed in Israel. UAV technology too. Tons of other things. That is our "kickback."

OH and just for fun... you all have seen Star wars right? Hologram messages from R2D2? Those exist in a much more advanced capacity, with full color in 3-D rendering. I've seen it with my own two eyes.

[quote name='Tyler' timestamp='1359519151' post='570042']
Israel is where the US military develops a lot of the technology they get that is soon passed on to the world. The iPhone? Nothing new, they've had similar toys in the military since the early 1990s. Drone planes? Developed just outside of Tel Aviv. EMP grenades? Way before Call of Duty got them, they were developed in Israel. UAV technology too. Tons of other things. That is our "kickback."
[/quote]

I'm sure it's much safer, practical, and cheaper to develop everything there rather than in the US. Please.

[quote name='KasbahBazaar' timestamp='1359519632' post='570046']
[quote name='Tyler' timestamp='1359519151' post='570042']
[/quote]

I'm sure it's much safer, practical, and cheaper to develop everything there rather than in the US. Please.
[/quote]

Blease.

I don't know why they do it but I do know they do it. My father was Air Force intel for 22 1/2 years, I've been inside of some places that got me enough security clearance to walk into the Pentagon at times. Ever heard of the elephant cage? One of the world's biggest satellite radars? Yeah, I've been there, I've used their cameras to zoom in on Destin beach so close I could see individual grains of sand. I know a lot more about the subject that I probably should

[url="http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/ar/policy-analysis/view/friends-with-benefits-why-the-u.s.-israeli-alliance-is-good-for-america"]http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/ar/policy-analysis/view/friends-with-benefits-why-the-u.s.-israeli-alliance-is-good-for-america[/url]

I do agree with Mark that Syria needs help. If we're going to send money anyway, I'd rather it be there.

As for kickback from Israel, I'm not sure what is gained there. But with how much we give them, they gotta be giving us something. My personal opinion is they can take care of themselves at this point... But look at Syria. A rebellion is fighting for its freedom from its oppressive government. That is a worthy cause, IMO, especially considering our history. But I guess our greedy gov is trying to determine what the kickback, and the endgame, will be.

I'm going to throw in my two sense because this is a topic I'm passionate about... Concerning Israel, it's more than just military technology. It's joint training with those who arguably have the best counter terrorism in the world, access to cancer research (if you didn't know, Israel is one of the leaders in cancer research) and numerous other life saving medical assets, civilian computer technology, cell phones, solar technology, agriculture, fuel efficiency, and numerous other fields that will help us here back home. Not to mention, its support to the one fully functioning democracy in the Middle East. The one country supports rights for EVERYONE living within its border, even though it is surrounded by adversaries.

End rant :)

Everyone in their borders except the Palastine people, right? You do know what the Zionist movement was and what happened because of it, right? I don't normally take sides in things like this but in this situation -- 100% fuck them.

Yep, the Palestinian people are humiliated and screwed at every turn. Whether it's being thrown out of what has been their family's home for hundreds of years, corralled through checkpoints between tall chain link fences, or forced to pay for utilities that the Israel authorities don't even provide such as trash and sewer systems. Of course plenty are harassed, beaten, and killed while going about their day, usually from some form of civil disobedience or "trouble-making". After all, if someone threw a rock at you wouldn't you shoot them between the eyes?.....

[img]http://imeu.net/engine2/uploads/3/checkpoint.jpg[/img]
  • Upvote 1

The one country supports rights for EVERYONE living within its border, even though it is surrounded by adversaries.

What????

I was wondering the same...

Also, quotes on here is now strange and unfamiliar... Damn update!

Either way we look at this type of topic, we can all agree that it is a sensitive subject.

I for one do not support just handing out humanitarian aide in the form of cash all willy nilly like some kindergarten teacher with candy going "ONE FOR YOU, AND YOU AND YOU AND YOU AND YOU....ETC"  Because there is a higher chance of that monetary funding would not to utilized the way it was deemed to be, we cannot monitor every country we give aide to subsequently and the chance that the large lumps of money and weaponry will stir corruption within groups that we as a nation may support. We should be more picky on who we give aide to, despite the repercussions that may occur such as shocked and angry people/nations - and the potential stereotyping -  'oh those americans are sooooooo stingy' And turn inwards to help out our own problems - economically, politically and socially.

• 2 weeks later...

Blease.

Haha, what you did there... I see that. ;)