Bad Batch Of Coconaras?

I'm a couple pieces into a new box of coconaras, but part way through my bowl they putter out completely. I make sure they are completely lit, and I've used coconaras for a couple of years and have never had this problem... although this is the first time I picked up a box from a local tobacco mart. I'm doing everything the same as I always have... Could this just be a bad batch of coconaras?

Just to add, my idea of bad batches are coals not staying lit anywhere near the amount of time they're supposed to, coals breaking apart while being lit, or my favorite, QL's exploding into chunks in the middle of lighting. The last one is the best because it always leaves a lasting reminder on your arm. :facepalm:

[quote][color=#1C2837][size=2]I would say a bad batch. MAYBE a fake box of cocos. Or the final possibility is that its an old box of cocos. [/size][/color][/quote]

I didn't even consider this, but the cardboard box was loose and the plastic was open!

[quote name='peaceman27' timestamp='1312753601' post='519155']
[quote][color=#1C2837][size=2]I would say a bad batch. MAYBE a fake box of cocos. Or the final possibility is that its an old box of cocos. [/size][/color][/quote]

I didn't even consider this, but the cardboard box was loose and the plastic was open!
[/quote]

Yeah I would guess old box or maybe they messed with it or got it wet or something. SO MANY POSSIBILITIES!!!

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' timestamp='1312765390' post='519172']
Probably old and/or the weather got to them.
[/quote]
what i was gonna say sounds a little like water damage

If they are a real box, i'd say that they were weather damaged - there was a thread around here somewhere that told you how to bring them back to life. But also, you can contact CCN, I heard they actually replace weather damaged boxes?

[quote name='antouwan' timestamp='1312824329' post='519242']
could be fakes. there are a lot of coco fakes floating around the houston area...idk about other places, though
[/quote]

[quote name='Hellz' timestamp='1312831815' post='519254']
If they are a real box, i'd say that they were weather damaged - there was a thread around here somewhere that told you how to bring them back to life. But also, you can contact CCN, I heard they actually replace weather damaged boxes?
[/quote]

I agree with both of these, so I say take pictures of the box and let us take a look, if they are fake then i have no idea what to do. If they are real I think calling CCN is a good idea

Whatever the case those coals are baaaad. If the rest of the coals resemble the same dates and characteristics of the box you had previously, I wouldn't recommend picking up coals from that particular store anymore until they get a new shipment in.

[quote name='TheyCallMeDave' timestamp='1312893922' post='519343']
Whatever the case those coals are baaaad. If the rest of the coals resemble the same dates and characteristics of the box you had previously, I wouldn't recommend picking up coals from that particular store anymore until they get a new shipment in.
[/quote]

BINGO!

I heard of fake cocos, but I have never run across them. If they were open I wouldn't go back to that store.

[quote name='peaceman27' timestamp='1312748771' post='519140']
I'm a couple pieces into a new box of coconaras, but part way through my bowl they putter out completely. I make sure they are completely lit, and I've used coconaras for a couple of years and have never had this problem... although this is the first time I picked up a box from a local tobacco mart. I'm doing everything the same as I always have... Could this just be a bad batch of coconaras?
[/quote]

I had the same thing happen to me, too! At first I thought it was my hotplate or the AC blowing extra cold but they were just crap coals I ended up throwing away. Pretty disappointing, huh?

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1312917830' post='519372']
[quote name='TheyCallMeDave' timestamp='1312893922' post='519343']
[/quote]

BINGO!

[b]I heard of fake cocos, but I have never run across them[/b]. If they were open I wouldn't go back to that store.
[/quote]

come to houston, we have fake cocos, mazayas, 3kings pretty much anything...hell, we in the city of the purple sprite