My Backwards Phunnel Hole Pattern Method

Hey chris go with 3 coals and a windcover from the start...

I think for this to really work properly you need to use a MINI phunnel and overpack it abit very densly packed-(this gives you conductive heat transfere)-----Not direct heat transfer like when you force hot air threw the tobacco.....The amount and size of holes you use is critical with this method to big or to many and you suck too much air not enuff or to small and you have little pull power.......So far I think my best one was the first one I did the 6 toothpick holes....gonna try 4 mya poker holes here in a few minn with some tangiers I think...I'll take a few photos to show my set up....

I guess my question is, does this hole pattern smoke better than the traditional rings of holes?

I'm going to try this again tonight. I think my problem yesterday was the hole I put in the foil was too big. I'll try it tonight with the star pattern and see if I have any better luck.

Here is what I do for tangiers overpack in the mini---this much tobacco this densly i think is critical for proper heat transfere....Need to use what I call the table press method when aplying the foil to get it really tight

I have a mini phunnel a friend made me out of stoneware. Packed it really tight with 2xapple nak. I used one of those corn on the cob holders to poke 6 hole directly over the center. I only needed 2 CH QL cocos. I got the biggest clouds I have ever had without it getting harsh or hot tasting. Heat management was much easier. Never flip the coals. ashed once,moved once. With the old multi-holes patterns (take your pick on patterns,I have tried them all) if I didn't move the coals every 6 minutes it would start to burn and taste like shit.If I used more than two coals same issue. My smoke was thinner and less flavorful with just two but three tasted like crap.
my .02
Ray

used a windcover off the bat and had good smoke in like 4 pulls....the smoking pic was about 2 minn into the bowl....took off the windcover after about 5 minn....put it back on in about 15 minn......smoking really good now nice flavor and really clean with some nice clouds

Hey Twoapples, could you please try this with your Turkish bowl if you're gonna smoke soon? I have one just like it and I'm wondering if this will work on that...(Obviously if I smoke before you do I'll post the results!)

I think it would work if you do one big hole right down the center that lines up with the center hole in the bowl.....not sure if it will be the same but I bet it will still smoke well.......I love my turk bowl to pack normal style though, its so huge...I love the way it smokes nakhla with a srait up medium pack....this is pretty cool also I will be adding it for sure to my line up of ways too smoke,But I won't break from traditional methods completely just a nice change up

Hey folks... long time no post.

I've tried this method with varying results in the past (not to steal anyone's thunder). May hap I will try it again, because it does make sense.... if you can get enough air flow from right over the hole, it should work.

And let us do remember: conduction is the true method of heating the tobacco to the boiling point, not convection. Air holes over the tobacco DO NOT have much of anything to do with actually getting the tobacco to the point it will smoke. If you doubt, check your basic physics. Conduction does the job. You need the air flow to get the smoke INTO the chamber and out the hose, not to heat the tobacco.

Not to sound like a pompous ass either....but I probably did anyway. Oh well.

[quote name='twoapplesplease' date='29 June 2010 - 08:32 PM' timestamp='1277857945' post='473328']
I think it would work if you do one big hole right down the center that lines up with the center hole in the bowl.....not sure if it will be the same but I bet it will still smoke well.......I love my turk bowl to pack normal style though, its so huge...I love the way it smokes nakhla with a srait up medium pack....this is pretty cool also I will be adding it for sure to my line up of ways too smoke,But I won't break from traditional methods completely just a nice change up
[/quote]

I dunno, if I can get it to work with my Turkish and other bowls (since my pipes are Lebanese and have female stems), this may be my only method...

If your bowl is like mine, then it has pretty big holes in the bottom right?

Its a pretty good apple have to give it a 9/10 the caramel and mint were better the orange was hard to get right....I got a bunch of elmas tobacco coming in a few weeks so if you want to do a trade sometime to try it drop me a pm...closest thing I can compare it too is mizo but IMO its much better

Currently smoking Mizo Guava-Melon on a small phunnel 3 full Cocos and Windcover. 2nd time using this method with a small phunnel (no mini T_T) and its smoking GREAT! So any small phunnels users dont hesitate to try this method. Have 2 Large Mya Poker holes and one small toothpick hole with outstanding results! Will post pics soon!

Well guys I'm going to throw a wrench in the bandwagons spokes.

Sorry TwoApples not trying to bash your method, in fact I really like it but I noticed a few things.

I tried this method the last day or two and I've come to some conclusions which may keep me from using this method. I used Tangiers OG with all the bowls just like I do normally, did two to three cocos with about 5 toothpick holes over the center. Smoked pretty well, got some pretty good clouds, and the tobacco wasn't nearly as charred. BUT I noticed something when cleaning the base that I have never found when not using holes over the center. The base smelled like.......*shock* a cigarette.

I'm not saying this is conclusive evidence of anything wrong about the method and I'm going to try alternating the methods to see what I can come up with more conclusive. But I thought about it and I believe the culprit is the holes over the center.

You're drawing air into the hookah which is coming directly into the center hole, which makes the air pass directly over the coals (that's normal) but what's not normal is more than a normal amount of smoke is being generated directly from the coals. So instead of the coal heat and co going through the shisha before it passes into the base it's simply joining any vaporized glycerin and molasses which in my personal opinion would give a mix of 50/50 rather than 70/30. That's the only reason I can come up with that my base smells like a cigarette when it never has before.

Now back to two apples suggestion of the metal tube over the top. Honestly this would work much better than just direct holes. Because the air is being drawn down and solely joins the vaporized materials rather than coal remnants.

Again just my 2 cents, but when you clean the hookah check the smell and give feed back.

Liquid ---thats pretty interesting--I did notice that the water in the vase atleast on mine had turned pretty brownish but I figured that to more juice ending up down the main spire due to having no where else to go...Never smelt the base though I'll have too next time......Interesting about the CO2 off the coals I'm not douting your thought on it, but I'm not really convinced that tobacco has any CO2 filtering capibilities espicially over the time period of a hookah bowl.......Yes Also think if there was a way too bring in tottaly fresh air in away from the coals it might make a actual huge difference,I will be checking this out agin for a test.........Nice observations Liquid and INCUB ....I never meant for this to be the new and it thing just something I thought was pretty cool that seemed too work and was really interesting......I'll try to make that mod idea work see what I come up with