Obama Calls Kanye West A Jackass

tinyj316

All the major news sources are reporting on it, so I figured I'd see what you all think about it... After reading the comments on different news sites, they're a pretty mixed bag... some people saying it was out of line for the president to say something off the record period, some are demanding an apology because it was out of line, and some are saying that they agree and support him for calling him a jackass. I'm somewhat torn on the issue...

Personally, I don't think anyone should be able to go off the record for anything they say... If you say something, either stand up for what you say, or apologize for your remarks.

On the other hand, I think the reporter (Terry Moran) was out of line in his actions. Have some journalistic integrity. It wasn't a slanderous or illegal comment, so why fuck with "the most powerful office in the world"?

I don't think Obama (or any president for that matter) calling someone a jackass, especially Kanye West, was neither off the mark nor out of line at all. Some people may say "takes one to know one" or "pot calling the kettle black", but realistically. Look at the shit that Kanye has pulled in the past couple years. He's an attention whore, he doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut, he thinks he's god's gift to the world, etc.. Look at all the stuff that other celebrities "get away with" on a regular basis. If Bill O'Reiley or Bill Maher or Karl Rove or Nancy Pelosi or any other pundit or political figure called him (or any other celeb for that matter) a jackass, people would say "yeah... They're kind of a d-bag..." and move on with it.

Why are people making such a big deal about it? I mean, if the leader of the free world calls you a jackass, it has to have some merit, right? Should presidential conversatons that are "off the record" legally be required to be on the record? What are your thoughts?

FULL DISCLOSURE: I don't know the context or tone he said it in... For all we know he could have been joking around, he could have said "that was a jackass move", he could have said it stern and beratngly... the only people who really know are those in attendance...

He may be a president, but he's also a person, with his own ideas and views. What's he supposed to do the next 3-1/2 years? Never say anything to anybody except presidential proclamations? Personally, I think the reporter also falls into the jackass category. Sure, a brief moment in the limelight gets the reporter some attention, but how soon do you think they'll get another interview? Or question answered? Or invitation to the White House press dinner? Or anything else by any White House staffer ever? Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

'Rani

QUOTE (BohoWildChild @ Sep 15 2009, 02:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He may be a president, but he's also a person, with his own ideas and views. What's he supposed to do the next 3-1/2 years? Never say anything to anybody except presidential proclamations? Personally, I think the reporter also falls into the jackass category. Sure, a brief moment in the limelight gets the reporter some attention, but how soon do you think they'll get another interview? Or question answered? Or invitation to the White House press dinner? Or anything else by any White House staffer ever? Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

'Rani

I would think abc news fired that reporters ass. That's what I would do anyway.

QUOTE (tinyj316 @ Sep 15 2009, 12:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All the major news sources are reporting on it, so I figured I'd see what you all think about it... After reading the comments on different news sites, they're a pretty mixed bag... some people saying it was out of line for the president to say something off the record period, some are demanding an apology because it was out of line, and some are saying that they agree and support him for calling him a jackass. I'm somewhat torn on the issue...

Personally, I don't think anyone should be able to go off the record for anything they say... If you say something, either stand up for what you say, or apologize for your remarks.

On the other hand, I think the reporter (Terry Moran) was out of line in his actions. Have some journalistic integrity. It wasn't a slanderous or illegal comment, so why fuck with "the most powerful office in the world"?

I don't think Obama (or any president for that matter) calling someone a jackass, especially Kanye West, was neither off the mark nor out of line at all. Some people may say "takes one to know one" or "pot calling the kettle black", but realistically. Look at the shit that Kanye has pulled in the past couple years. He's an attention whore, he doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut, he thinks he's god's gift to the world, etc.. Look at all the stuff that other celebrities "get away with" on a regular basis. If Bill O'Reiley or Bill Maher or Karl Rove or Nancy Pelosi or any other pundit or political figure called him (or any other celeb for that matter) a jackass, people would say "yeah... They're kind of a d-bag..." and move on with it.

Why are people making such a big deal about it? I mean, if the leader of the free world calls you a jackass, it has to have some merit, right? Should presidential conversatons that are "off the record" legally be required to be on the record? What are your thoughts?

FULL DISCLOSURE: I don't know the context or tone he said it in... For all we know he could have been joking around, he could have said "that was a jackass move", he could have said it stern and beratngly... the only people who really know are those in attendance...

I would have to agree...

That makes one of us nuts, I guess. ohmy.gif

What the hell is of the record? That either means its a lie, or something that shouldn't be said IMNHO. On the other hand, we all tell things to friends we would not want publicized. Any reporter with an oz of integrity would realize the remark for what it was, and not make it into some big affront.

The president, like him, or not, has every right to an opinion. I am sure we all have said things in a rather frank manner, most of which we would not want on the next days headlines. The thought/word/PC police need to get a real hobby. Trying to make a big deal out of some off the cuff remark is just plain useless. There is so much more we need to worry about these days. They did it to Clinton, Bush, and Obama, it was tasteless every last time.

And as for Kayne west being a jackass... I found something I completely agree with the president on. that is something I never thought I would say. No way the Prez needs to apologize to that guy, he needs to get a gong-show hook ready for the next time the fool pulls a similar act on stage.

I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone. The president has every right to say someone is a jackass. He is, after all, a person. People are opinionated.

Also, this is horrible journalism on the reporter's part. You lose integrity by publishing off the comment remarks, especially when they are from the President of the United States. Additionally, this is IRRELEVANT information and has nothing to do with the political situation in this country or government policy.

The first thing Obama has said that I've agreed with, although this just feeds Kanye's ego even more :-\

I agree Kanye is a jackass, I agree that any world leader should have the privilege of voicing their opinions of who or who isn't a jackass, but yet I disagree with you all.

World leaders serve as both a role model to their own nation, and an international representative. They should be as prudent, pragmatic and objective as they can be. So, in my completely detached perspective, this was irresponsible, inappropriate and ill-advised for those reasons. That said, I think that there are probably more important things to be holding public discourse about.

QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Sep 15 2009, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They should be as prudent, pragmatic and objective as they can be. So, in my completely detached perspective, this was irresponsible, inappropriate and ill-advised for those reasons. That said, I think that there are probably more important things to be holding public discourse about.

I think that's the point. This is not supposed to be part of public discourse. This was small-talk that went on between an American President (citizen) and a journalist (with questionable integrity).

I know that TMZ isn't the world's most reputable source, but apparently they have audio of Obama calling him a jackass...

Take this with a grain of salt... its a gossip blog... this could very well be a voice actor and his buddies, then again, it could be legit...

http://www.tmz.com/2009/09/15/obama-calls-kanye-a-jackass/

It sure sounds like him and it very well could have been him. I was in NYC Sept 14th and I saw about 20 cop cars following a limo. I out later that day the President was in Manhattan having dinner with Bill Clinton. So he was in the area and I am pretty sure TMZ in located in Manhattan.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
The first time Mackenzie and I heard that we were driving in my truck after swimming in the lake and we heard that. We rolled down the windows and turned the radio up and cheered in support. Because Kanye was a jackass, and if you disagree you're a jackass (Joking people joking chill chill). The president is allowed to have an opinion. He is a real person. They actually have thoughts and stuff like that.