Hookah Bliss Part 1

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, been a bit busy.

The landlady has insisted that the equipment be checked out by a professional before she will allow the assignment of the lease. This is great as far as i'm concerned. Now I'll know for sure if the stuff will work without having to make it a condition of the sale in the contract. She gave me the name of a guy she used to use when she did restaurants and he's willing to do the check out for me, but i have to be there for it. Which is difficult with the book rush starting next friday. I'm going to try to get away from work a little early mid week to meet the guy. I have to admit I appriciate her doing this because it forces the guy's hand (Marlo) for the record, without making it look like im being unreasonable.

So we are still going full speed ahead, just slowing down for new years and to make doubly sure everythign is kosher.

More as it happens....

Congratulations. Make sure you take an inventory of all fixtures and note their condition in a document and have them sign it. Also remember you can break a lease...you just have to negotiate your way down.

• 3 weeks later...
Quick update:

The check out of the refridgeration equipment shows it to be old and mostly serviceable. One piece, the main bar back cool may have to be replaced. I will also end up leasing (for tax reasons) an ice machine and probably a direct tap beer cooler. The rest will hopefully work for a while atleast.

I have the health inspector coming to the place tuesday for a walk through to point out anything I shoudl do before the official graded health inspection. If no gross structural type violations are found I'll be going ahead with the signing of the paperwork and getting the landlady to assign the lease to me and I can officially get started.

I've filled out all my permits and such ahead of time so once the paperwork is signed, I just have to sign and date the stuff and drop it in the mail. This will speed things along greatly.

More news as it becomes availible, which should be starting to come fast and furious within the next week.

and away we go! Thanks for all the support, advice, and ideas folks....

i really hope i can make it man, its a good days drive, but i hope i can. It will be me and my sister, probably be there for a day or two. If ya want any help day before opening, let me know, if we can make it we will come a day early and ill help all ya want, and the opening day, ill help setup hookahs if ya like biggrin.gif

Mush...looks decent man...its a hella good oppurtunity.

Do you plan on keeping that ugly ass Blue dropped ceiling? It looks bad...but I suppose it goes with the theme?

If you expose the HVAC system, and the wiring, etc...and just foam spray it (fire code) black, it'll look a hella lot better...plus it'll give the place a more open feel..like it was bigger.

Think about it. What kind of allowance are they giving you if you plan to build-out? It could be worth it man.

Good Luck!

Mush, did you figure out what kind of hookahs you guys are going to have? All the same kind (good if things get broken, you could piecemeal broken ones into whole functioning ones) or all different (variety is the spice of life!)?

Ya, I'm going with mya QT's for the house hookahs. they are VERY stable, inexpensive, look nice, and you can see over them if you have 4 on a table.

Also going to sell all kinds of Mya's in the retail set up.

Allia: you never know when you might find yourself in the neighbothood.... smile.gif

YOu may take some flack from the "traditionalists" on the QT's but I suppose you already know that. As long as you set them up good you get GREAT smoke (and I have vids to prove it wink.gif )
I think I would keep a couple of bigger hookahs around for the really picky people. When I first saw a QT I thought it would probably not smoke very well. That would have been my take in a lounge. But if they brought over one that was going good and I took a hit I would have been okay with it.

What all brands will you be carrying?

Ya, I know, but since i'm going to be kind of a non-traditional hookah bar, I don't mind being non-traditional when it comes to my hookahs. It's kind of funny, the Guy at Marrakesh was dead set against qt'S BECAUSE THEY WEREN'R TRADITIONAL, MADE IN CHINA, ETC...(im going to pop the cap lock off this computer) and now he sells them...I think once many people try them, especially, as you pointed out, if they get a great smoke from them they will like them.

My biggest reason is because they are small and stable. With beer involved, I want these things to be as hard to knock over as humanly possible.

I'l be selling the bigger, more traditional looking Mya's so people can go home and smoke them if they want.

For Shisha, I plan on carrying the premium Nakhlas like Tropicana, chocomint, and of course 2 apple. I'll also be serving Al Amir, Al Fakher, possibly al ajamy, and definitly starbuzz.

haha, that kitchen looks to be about the size of the one I work in. Except we're a full restaurant/bar. Well, mostly bar smile.gif PEOPLE IN WISCONSIN: OPEN UP A FREAKING HOOKAH LOUNGE IN APPLETON! I'D BE THERE ALL THE TIME, I SWEAR! lol

Bleh, I'm the only hookah smoker in this area I know. Besides, I'm too lazy and ADD, paperwork makes me go cross-eyed sad.gif Something hands-on like auto body is perfect for me, even if my classmates are illiterate simpletons. *sigh*