Homemade hose cover!

Lakemonster

A bodkin elastic threader can also be used to thread elastic, turn material inside out and pick up little screws when you can't find your booger-picker.

I swear we just need to give you and scally a workshop, shiner bock, some hookahs, some good baccy, and lock the door for a few days and make yall invent new hookah stuff XD

Awesome hose covers, i cant sew worth a flyin flip so i might need to get you to make me one XD

• 5 months later...
No... no pic, but I'll try to explain it better.

one the very ends of your long strip fo fabric, you will fold over a bit of it enough to allow for the stitich and a about a 1/2 inch channel. You run your "shoestring" through that pocket.

EXCELLENT PLANS, Lake, thank you very much. I have used them to make many hose covers which have delighted several paying members of the forum. I have used plush upholstery fabrics and the results have been amazing.

As an enhancement for those who want to make your own, I'd suggest pulling elastic through the channel and sewing the ends together. If you invert the cuff while sewing the elastic ends together, the seam will face down.

For a more tailored look, (no ruffles) cut your goods on the bias to 4.5"width and about 5" longer than the distance between the tops of the terminal pieces. Have fun. Sewing bias cut goods is more challenging as the material tends to slide around unless you control it constantly. Take your time. The resulting tube is extremely flexible yet form-fitting and will not bind on the hose. In a pinch, you can put a windsor knot in it and wear it as a necktie. tongue.gif

• 3 weeks later...
your hose looks very nice and beautiful man keep up the good work

QUOTE (azcoyote @ Apr 30 2007, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EXCELLENT PLANS, Lake, thank you very much. I have used them to make many hose covers which have delighted several paying members of the forum. I have used plush upholstery fabrics and the results have been amazing.

As an enhancement for those who want to make your own, I'd suggest pulling elastic through the channel and sewing the ends together. If you invert the cuff while sewing the elastic ends together, the seam will face down.

For a more tailored look, (no ruffles) cut your goods on the bias to 4.5"width and about 5" longer than the distance between the tops of the terminal pieces. Have fun. Sewing bias cut goods is more challenging as the material tends to slide around unless you control it constantly. Take your time. The resulting tube is extremely flexible yet form-fitting and will not bind on the hose. In a pinch, you can put a windsor knot in it and wear it as a necktie. :P

hi, sorry but i'm not so much of a sewing person, what do you mean by on the bias please? i'd quite like a hose cover that isn't all ruffled up...

thanks!

QUOTE (littlenic @ May 24 2007, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (azcoyote @ Apr 30 2007, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For a more tailored look, (no ruffles) cut your goods on the bias to 4.5"width and about 5" longer than the distance between the tops of the terminal pieces. Have fun. Sewing bias cut goods is more challenging as the material tends to slide around unless you control it constantly. Take your time. The resulting tube is extremely flexible yet form-fitting and will not bind on the hose. In a pinch, you can put a windsor knot in it and wear it as a necktie. tongue.gif

hi, sorry but i'm not so much of a sewing person, what do you mean by on the bias please? i'd quite like a hose cover that isn't all ruffled up...

thanks!

SURE, Woven cloth has horizontal and vertical threads (warp and weft) . A straight cut is parallel to one of these and perpendicular to the other. A bias cut runs 45 degrees diagonally across the weave. If your fabric is loosely woven, it will have a tendency to unravel from the cut edge. Handle cut bias strips carefully for that reason. Your first attempt may not be beautiful, but practice makes perfect. Good luck. tongue.gif

• 3 weeks later...
<- professional seamstress, laughing my ass off at the thought of someone that doesn't know much about sewing, trying to work with such a long bias-cut piece XD

I SERIOUSLY suggest to all those that mentioned they were bad with fabirc/sewing NOT to try the bias-cut method first. It'll aggravate and frustrate you to no end! When y'all do decide to try out the bias method, try making some smaller sized tubes first, to get the feel for how bias cut fabric works.. Be careful when cutting it out, as well as sewing it, because bias-cut fabric stretches outta shape VERY easily, and your wonderfully long straight piece of fabric could end up a useless serpentine shape.

As for the cover, it looks awesome =] I'm fixin' to go make some of my own (a fluffy furry one, and a smooth sparkly lurex one happy.gif)

The Stargates would look awesome with some bias-cut liquid silver covers.....if I had the motivation to work with bias-cut liquid silver X]

QUOTE (Kae @ Jun 14 2007, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<- professional seamstress, laughing my ass off at the thought of someone that doesn't know much about sewing, trying to work with such a long bias-cut piece XD

I SERIOUSLY suggest to all those that mentioned they were bad with fabirc/sewing NOT to try the bias-cut method first. It'll aggravate and frustrate you to no end! When y'all do decide to try out the bias method, try making some smaller sized tubes first, to get the feel for how bias cut fabric works.. Be careful when cutting it out, as well as sewing it, because bias-cut fabric stretches outta shape VERY easily, and your wonderfully long straight piece of fabric could end up a useless serpentine shape.

As for the cover, it looks awesome =] I'm fixin' to go make some of my own (a fluffy furry one, and a smooth sparkly lurex one happy.gif)

The Stargates would look awesome with some bias-cut liquid silver covers.....if I had the motivation to work with bias-cut liquid silver X]

tongue.gif
Welcome to the forum.HA HA .... Yes it is a humorous prospect...a beginner cutting and sewing up a 60" bias tube. Then trying to figure out how to invert it. HAW HAW HAW. There IS a trick. Isn't that liquid silver on a knit backing? Sewing knits gives me fits. Will you use a serger? Wish I had one. I've sewed up all my hose jackets on a 1960's vintage commercial singer. No reverse, but what a stitch! ! tongue.gif

QUOTE (azcoyote @ Jun 14 2007, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
tongue.gif
Welcome to the forum.HA HA .... Yes it is a humorous prospect...a beginner cutting and sewing up a 60" bias tube. Then trying to figure out how to invert it. HAW HAW HAW. There IS a trick. Isn't that liquid silver on a knit backing? Sewing knits gives me fits. Will you use a serger? Wish I had one. I've sewed up all my hose jackets on a 1960's vintage commercial singer. No reverse, but what a stitch! ! tongue.gif

The liquid silver is on a very tight knit backing, yes. It doesn't have much stretch, but it's thin, and drapes really really nicely =] There are some that I have seen that are reslly stretchy, but not sturdy enough for anything practical.

I have a couple industrial machines (one straight, one zigzag), a serger, and a couple home machines. My favorite is my 1970's Montgomery Ward machine X] It's easy to maintain, and sews perfectly. Then, I got a basic portable one for Xmas this past year, since my MW machine weighs a good 35lbs wink.gif

I love sewing knits! I can sit and whip out 2pr pants & 4 tshirts for my kids in about an hour. I also make quilts, but I really do prefer sewing garments, and I prefer sewing with knits. I like sewing fake fur a lot, too, it's almost a challenge, lol!

Eh...I get babbly when I talk about sewing, lol...

Yes, I would use my serger. I use it for almost all construction, using my other machines for finishing (the industrials are packed away, since I closed my biz 2yrs ago for an extended vacation). I would very much like to try making a cover with a bias-cut knit...Tshirts and hookahs are both such items of comfort to me, I'd love to try to combine them wink.gif Also, I think it would be neat to use some of my fiance's old well-worn BDUs to make a camo cover....

I only have one hookah, lol! I don't know why I would need all these covers X] Maybe I'll just make them in seasonal fabric, and make an Independance Day cover, a Halloween cover, etc wink.gif ......hahaha...mega-CHEESY! XD