who are PETA?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PETA? oh hell. Its people like PETA that helped turn me into the cynical gothy sumbitch that I am today. Okay then.

PETA stands for "Peple for the Ethical Treatment of Animals"

They pretty much state that nobody should hurt animals for ANY reason. This is fine in itself, but they go about it in this almost half assed, terroristic way. PETA bans all animal related activities, including horseback riding, fishing, wearing fur, eating animals, regarding animals as property in any way, etc, etc etc. I'm sure you get the point. PETA also does a nice thing though, in that they rescue hundreds of animals every year.

I remember them raging wars on Kentucky Friend Chicken, McDonalds, Burger King etc, and the Milk farms. Cause apparently milking cows hurt them. Which is a load of crap. Ever see a cow with its udders rotting underneath it? Ain't pretty.

In other words, they are a radical cult that has outdated ideas, and barely knows thing one about many of their points. I think they even took on the Catholic church at some point about something, but I don't remember what it was.

Thats all about I know.

some of what peta does is good, im all for ethical treatment of animals. but i think one can ethically treat animals and still kill and eat them.

this picture is funny to me.
[img]http://www.drinkalot.com/_pictures/petasucks.jpg[/img]

PETA acts like a terrorist organization with conflicting ideals and brutal force. In my area, PETA was responsible for the deaths of thousands of cats and dogs because they were taking donations to find homes for these animals, taking the animals and saying that they were finding them homes, and then euthanizing them and throwing them into a mall dumpster...this is humane, of course. :roll:

They also are behind a lot of demonstrations that turn violent.

On the flip side, they have a low-cost spay/ neuter program that is really awesome, and they do find homes for a lot of animals.

[quote name='DarthHookah']you guys need to see the penn and teller's Bullshit episode on PETA. funny as shit, and has a powerful message.[/quote]

+1

I suppose if you were REALLY interested in finding out what PETA is, DragonM, you could probably mosey on down to peta.org instead of asking hookahforum individuals. ;)

[quote name='ghostofdavid']I suppose if you were REALLY interested in finding out what PETA is, DragonM, you could probably mosey on down to peta.org instead of asking hookahforum individuals. ;)[/quote]

Or check these sites...

[url="http://www.consumerfreedom.com/feature_peta_kids_map.cfm"]http://www.consumerfreedom.com/feature_pet...ta_kids_map.cfm[/url]
[url="http://www.petakillsanimals.com/"]http://www.petakillsanimals.com/[/url]

Actual PETA propaganda distributed to schoolchildren:
[img]http://www.consumerfreedom.com/news/images/article_156_comicbook.gif[/img]

I once contacted PETA becuase of a poor cat that was innocently resting in the fan cowling of my truck. When I started it up it was not pretty. The cat sustained an awful gash across her left eye. I let PETA know that this type of accident probably happens pretty regularly. An additional 2" of plastic would have prevented access to this death trap. The person at PETA whom I corresponded with at length could not get it through her stupid bitch head that this was a issue they could run with. Instead she focussed on the outcome for this particular cat. She badgered me to get it to a shelter. I explained that not too many one-eyed cats are successfully adopted. I live in the country, so I know the local vet. He issued a perscription for antibiotics. I paid $22 out of my own pocket, Fed the medicated food to the cat twice a day for ten days. I nursed the cat back to health and she is now fine, just blind in one eye. She can climb up an 8' vertical post to sit safely on top. And she loves me to death. She catches mice too!

Oh, she is a sweet cat! If I weren't allergic, I would have taken that little sweetie home!

PETA is similar to many political groups...long on rhetoric and hypocrisy, short on facts.

I knew a guy who's cat gave birth to her kittens in the engine compartment of a pickup...not pretty.

SS, that may be, but why should I take your word for it? I am not supporting or speaking against the group, but what makes you such an expert? Any intelligent would go to the group, analyze what they say, then form their own opinions. I guess I prefer primary sources to make decisions, not what random people say. This is not just about PETA, but any organization such as a PAC, political party, religious group, etc. If someone wants to know about PETA they should start by reading what the group believes, not what others who say they know what the group believes, and then we could have a legitimate discussion about their stated beliefs.

read the site... dont take my word for it. its the logical decision.

im more meaning that peta tends to find the nastiest practices and claim the entire industry does that. for example the have videos of random guys skinning rabbits alive and say that thats how all fur is harvested. which isnt true because stress in animals releases chemicals which negatively effect the quality of the fur.

go through their claims and check out whats true and not. some is, some isnt.

i definately suggest viewing petas site. but if i want to examine a group i will go both to their site and to the site of their critics.

[quote name='azcoyote']I once contacted PETA becuase of a poor cat that was innocently resting in the fan cowling of my truck. When I started it up it was not pretty. The cat sustained an awful gash across her left eye.  I let PETA know that this type of accident probably happens pretty regularly. An additional 2" of plastic would have prevented access to this death trap. The person at PETA whom I corresponded with at length could not get it through her stupid bitch head that this was a issue they could run with. Instead she focussed on the outcome for this particular cat. She badgered me to get it to a shelter. I explained that not too many one-eyed cats are successfully adopted. I live in the country, so I know the local vet. He issued a perscription for antibiotics. I paid $22 out of my own pocket, Fed the medicated food to the cat twice a day for ten days. I nursed the cat back to health and she is now fine, just blind in one eye. She can climb up an 8' vertical post to sit safely on top.  And she loves me to death. She catches mice too![/quote]

You are in my personal "Brother Man of the Month Club" for that! Thank you.

MR Bubble

[quote name='Joseph']SS, that may be, but why should I take your word for it?  I am not supporting or speaking against the group, but what makes you such an expert?  Any intelligent would go to the group, analyze what they say, then form their own opinions.  I guess I prefer primary sources to make decisions, not what random people say.  This is not just about PETA, but any organization such as a PAC, political party, religious group, etc.  If someone wants to know about PETA they should start by reading what the group believes, not what others who say they know what the group believes, and then we could have a legitimate discussion about their stated beliefs.[/quote]

No offense, but are you really proposing that a person go investigate every one of the 300-some christian denominations before choosing one? Then investigate another dozen or so assorted other religions and then investigate each of the dozens of Hindu-faith gods? Seems unrealistic.

[quote name='Sonthert']No offense, but are you really proposing that a person go investigate every one of the 300-some christian denominations before choosing one? Then investigate another dozen or so assorted other religions and then investigate each of the dozens of Hindu-faith gods? Seems unrealistic.[/quote]

300? That's IT? I thought there were probably at least 300 different flavors of Baptists. ;)

No, I didnt't suggest that Sonthert, but if some one wants to know about the catholic faith, I would siggest reading the Catacism of the the Catholic Church, or if some one wanted to know about the Methodist faith they would investigate that by reading what the group puts out. If some one wanted to know about Buddhism I would suggest reading the Dhammapada. They should go to the correct primary source for their information. The question wan't about every animal rights group everywhere, which would not be an answerable question anyways because they are all differant, the question was about PETA specifically, so I suggested checking out their web page as a good starter. If you want to know about a group it is always good to start with a primary source.

There's no sense in going straight to the horse's mouth when it comes to the PETA. It's fine to hear what they have to say, but you're better off going through a credible source.

I mean, you don't go to Burger King for nutritional information and the effects on your health.

as i stated earlier. If you want to learn about an organization there are three places to look. 1. what they say about themselves primary source. 2. what there opposition says about them. and 3. what a third source says about both

and then use your logic.