What is my smoke so thin?

Well like I said, for a rookie it wasn't bad. A little coughing here and there, but for the most part I enjoyed, thanks to the work you put into that information. Until I read it, I havd no idea Tangiers was so complicated. But it's that complication that presents itself as a challenge for me. My next batch should be delivered any day now. Question..I know there is Noir, Lucid, F-line, Birquq, and Burley. How do I know which one I have. I checked the wrapper and it just says strawberry. Can't remember which type I ordered.

It should say on the packaging. What information is on it? Also I believe the lines are color-coded now as well.

I don't want to take all the credit for that thread- I merely compiled what I learned from everyone else here. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tangiers strawberry was never as strong as i hoped. Honestly splitting coals makes heat management soooo easy. If you got some gardening shears or steel cutting scissors they will do the trick. Well i guess I should ask what kind of charcoal are you using? also on days with bad humidity the tobacco can get real harsh and throat tickely (but not burnt tasting). Sometimes just opening it up stirring and letting sit for 30min helps. At least in my area it does.

This is what is strange. I gave up on my KM, switched to my little Mya. Smoke is 10 times thicker. Got my A/C on 76 degrees. I'm sure I'll get a handle on it. It's a shame that my $39.95 MYA smokes better that my expensive KM. :blush:

Still coughing my Effing head off. I have tried moving coals around, taking one off, using my wind cover. It may be that this batch is shot. I may have burned it.

Using Titanium coals. I am thinking about ordering a Kaloud Lotus. One of the guys I watch a lot is Banned Vendor. He swears by it, so do a lot of youtube how to guys. It suppose to eliminate coal heat management. You just open or close the lid to control heat.

I think this bowl of Tangiers is shot. I can't smoke it at all. Damn!

Edited by geraldzito
Add info

52 minutes ago, geraldzito said:

This is what is strange. I gave up on my KM, switched to my little Mya. Smoke is 10 times thicker. Got my A/C on 76 degrees. I'm sure I'll get a handle on it. It's a shame that my $39.95 MYA smokes better that my expensive KM. :blush:

Still coughing my Effing head off. I have tried moving coals around, taking one off, using my wind cover. It may be that this batch is shot. I may have burned it.

Using Titanium coals. I am thinking about ordering a Kaloud Lotus. One of the guys I watch a lot is Banned Vendor. He swears by it, so do a lot of youtube how to guys. It suppose to eliminate coal heat management. You just open or close the lid to control heat.

I think this bowl of Tangiers is shot. I can't smoke it at all. Damn!

lotus are great ( i use one) but you can achieve great clouds with out one. Do you use a phunnel bowl? Its not so much about the hookah, when i started i had a little egyptian hookah and it smoked like a champ. The most important things are packing and heat. As for the km did you make sure there was no leaks in the stem,base,hose, purge,etc. I am currently smoking Tang Burley brambleberry with a lotus and it still has that harsh tickle in my throat. Which tells me i gotta let it acclimate more. Did you cough alot with AF?

Thats the thing. I put away the Tangiers bowl, and fired up some AF. Fabulous session, no coughing. I have two harmony funnels and one vortex. I have no doubt that some how I burned the piss out of the Tangiers. My Km hookah, I put my thumb over the stem hole. Solid no leaks. Put the bowl on and covered with my hand, no leaks. I have done many activities and hobbies in my life, but this is the most frustrating of all.  

Awesome! You'll get the hang of it. It's all about trial and error, figuring out what works and doesn't. Another thing to keep in mind is- just because something works best for one person, doesn't necessarily mean it'll work best for you.

On 11/7/2015, 12:37:08, geraldzito said:

OK Here is the deal. I gave tyhe same Tangierrs bowl I started this morning another go. Clouds are great flavor is great, no coughing. Im sure its my heat management skills getting a little better.

Here was my last post on Tangiers. Thought I did great. Well since then I have had to dump two bowls of Tangiers. I did everything the same. Packing, hole pattern and size, heat management. On these last two bowls, right from the first draw. I coughed my head off. I thought my coughing days were over.I started with three coals, coughed, then two coals, coughed. then one coal. Same on both bowls. I don't understand how I can go from a great Tangiers session, to two terrible ones?

en one

I've always found the key with Tangiers (or really any brand) is to start off SLOWLY on the heat. I don't even take a pull from the hose for the first five minutes after putting the coals on. Sounds like perhaps you're just heating it up too fast?

5 hours ago, Chreees said:

I've always found the key with Tangiers (or really any brand) is to start off SLOWLY on the heat. I don't even take a pull from the hose for the first five minutes after putting the coals on. Sounds like perhaps you're just heating it up too fast?

You know what, that makes sense. I guess I do hit almost immediately. I was worried that sitting there was going to burn the shisha, but what I do is bring the heat in too soon. I was worried I would have to give up Tangiers. It's so good. Thanks for the tip.

1 hour ago, Bawhee said:

Also, coughing has always been an underpacking problem for me when I started out.

I may have under packed, but it seems like a put a s-load of shisha in there.

With Tangiers, I pack as dense as it comes in the package before you open it, basically as tight as possible without squishing the juices out of it, and pack it completely flat up to the top of the inner spire, but slightly below (about a quarter's width) the outer rim. Poke tons of holes using a toothpick, but I never poke any holes above the spire. I find I get better flavor this way. Look at my guide to success thread in my signature for pics of how I do it, may help

Well Bawhee and Chreees. It's a non issue now. I just finished an incredible tangiers session. I received my Kloud Lotus. It is the shit. It eliminates the need for foil, and simplifies heat management. Works fantastic.