Help Me Id This Hookah Please

Hey guys, long time. 

Anyway I realized I have a little bit of a problem with collecting hookahs - I think I'm somewhere in the region of 20 now lol.

My latest addition is this rotator hookah (I've never liked them much, but I've never had it so I figured I would get one anyway). I got this one off of craigslist but it doesn't have a grommet, so if anyone could ID it and/or let me know where to get a grommet, that would be fantastic. I already tried DIY with RTV but it didn't make a good seal. It has 4 hose ports, just took most off for cleaning/sealing holes.

Thanks!

1oPbIA2.jpg

I kiiiind of want to say it's chinese, but only because it's a bastardization of a few different styles all on one pipe. The top looks egyptian, then about halfway down it switches to swirl, which is pretty syrian, and those screw on ports look like the ones on my marble syrian 3-hose, however, the stamping or whatever on the heart of the pipe looks super cheap. That ringed style on the lower part of the heart doesn't look like anything I've seen. 

I don't have a clue, this pipe is all over the place.

probably have to shoot some pics of the inside under the hose port/purge.

To me looks like some Magdy Zaidan or generic Egyptian rotator. I think H-S has some grommets for those?

http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-2064-rotator-rotating-spinning-hookah-grommet-replacement.html

How much are those grommets? Just order the next size up and the next size down. Worst case scenario you can cut the smaller ones slightly larger to get them to seal. But It's a grommet - it isn't made out of concrete - they'll stretch, you know

What is odd is that is a syrian diffuser on it, no doubt about it. This pipe is such a mish mash that it just has to be chinese, nobody else really does that (except for some of Farida's newer pipes, which are awesome)

What is odd is that is a syrian diffuser on it, no doubt about it. This pipe is such a mish mash that it just has to be chinese, nobody else really does that (except for some of Farida's newer pipes, which are awesome)

I had a small generic Egyptian several years ago that had a plastic diffuser that was idential to that on at the end of the stem. Arabs can make some pretty crazy mish-mashes. If you look at some of KM's stuff in their Egyptian catalogs they have some female stem (for male bowls) pipes and and some that have elements of a syrian style and even some with integrated metal bases, if I remember correctly.

From the consturction, it's way too non-chinese than chinese. I've never seen traditionally built rotators and stuff like that that's chinese.

Yeah I have no issue with the brand, but without a grommet I can't even smoke it! The paper towels don't work because it's a screw on - they just keep on moving or getting cut up. I would order the grommets but they're a two part deal, the top part needs to be the right size to not block the hose ports and form a seal. I think I may be able to make the large ones work though

yeah hockey tape or athletic tape works decently. DO NOT get the water resistant kind but that kind of athletic fabric tape type stuff is acceptable. I used it on an old lebanese hookah that I could never find a grommet for with acceptable results.

maybe something like this:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Fel-Pro-10-x-26-x-1-8-in-cork-and-rubber-gasket-material-sheet/_/N-25w7?itemIdentifier=67680_0_0_

No idea how that shit works.

• 4 weeks later...
It's probably syrian (as long as the stem is solid brass, hard to tell). Each of the segments of the stem screw together (but have probably been welded with the downstem). The top tray rest is standard syrian snap on, cheaper since its hollow. The section below that is octagonal thickdisc, which I have a few solid brass Syrians with. Below that the thin disc, never seen before. The next pear is pretty standard syrian. Though they look less etched/detailed than the nawras I have with these sections. The screw on hose ports are typical Syrian too.

Your best bet for sealing it would be two different methods. You can buy a rubber mat and cut out a giant ring that fit into the heart/ lid section, and doesn't block the hose ports. You can also buy silicone sealant/caulk and put an even bead in the top rim of the glass. Both of these methods assume the vase rim touched the lid. If it doesn't it's probably because the bottom edge of the lid hits the bulge of the glass. If this is the case put a bead of silicone sealant/caulk around the inside bottom edge of the lid.

The pipe is probably a Syrian made in Egypt... Yes, the bottle is from a typical Egyptian  rotator, but everything else seems typically Syrian.

Now, I spent las Sunday afternoon (12th October 2014) in the company of Julyano Ercin, the owner of El Nefes, who also distributes (as a wholesaler) Farida, Khalil Mamoon and some Syrian pipes, and has visited Egypt recently. He told me that a number of craftmen fled Syria and are now working in Egypt and, as a result, you find an increasing number of Syrian designs among Egyptian made pipes, these days... That could be an explanation... 

As for the grommets, you should be able to find special grommets for Egyptian rotators... Otherwise, try to use some kind of tape.

Edited by Hookah-burgar