Trip To San Diego

Nerdy

So, my wife and I have decided to take a trip to S.D the end of this month.  I know a few of you have been out that way, so i am asking for some help in planning. 

i already have the flight booked, now i need hotel and i need a rental car.  What are some good hotels, that are close to a beach (warmer waters preferred) and that also aren't too far from Odyssey (tangiers)?  I want my vacation to be, all day at the beach, markets, local shops, and then in the evening, dinner and some tangiers.  i don't mind 40 or so minutes from the lounge if i can get a good hotel (i dont want a rough and tumble place, holiday inn or ramadan or hyatt as exapmles are good), good beach, good beer, and somewhat cheaper prices.    

sorry bro, cant help you, but if you wanna pay for shipping and tobacco for me I could use some tang :D just kidding, I would try just checking the internet intensively for optimal results though :P

the internet can only give you so much info, i would trust some personal experience from a member over some random stranger on the interwebz. 

if i could send you some, trust me, i would.  stupid laws and regulations. 

my biggest thing, is that i don't want to book a hotel on one side and then have to drive 2 hours to get to the lounge.  

So, my wife and I have decided to take a trip to S.D the end of this month.  I know a few of you have been out that way, so i am asking for some help in planning. 

i already have the flight booked, now i need hotel and i need a rental car.  What are some good hotels, that are close to a beach (warmer waters preferred) and that also aren't too far from Odyssey (tangiers)?  I want my vacation to be, all day at the beach, markets, local shops, and then in the evening, dinner and some tangiers.  i don't mind 40 or so minutes from the lounge if i can get a good hotel (i dont want a rough and tumble place, holiday inn or ramadan or hyatt as exapmles are good), good beach, good beer, and somewhat cheaper prices.    

I stayed at a hotel that was maybe 2 or 3 miles away from tangiers. The room was around 90 a night but had a full kitchen (stove, oven, cabinets, dishwasher, fullsize fridge) the room was badass. Other than that, I'm not too much of a help lol. i dont even remember what it was called.. maybe Jess can chime in if he remembers lol

OB and Mission Beach are probably the closest beaches to Tangiers but are pretty grimy (OB has some great bars and is close to Sunset Cliffs and Sea World). Areas around La Jolla are nice and should be under 1/2 an hour from the lounge. La Jolla also has some of the best snorkeling and the area is really gorgeous.

It really depends on what you are looking to do. But I would stay away from a hotel near Tangiers, because it is really the only thing worth doing in the area.

• Upvote 1

Old Town is also worth checking out, there are so many cool neighborhoods and beaches that are so different it kind of depends on the experience you are looking for. Also, Stone Brewery and Karl Strauss are in SD. If you go to Karl Strauss, go during happy hour and get the Calamari. 

So then where do you suggest getting a hotel? By the beaches you mentioned or go inland a bit? Are the waters warm-er at mission beach?

I'll def checkout them potatoes. On nom nom

So then where do you suggest getting a hotel? By the beaches you mentioned or go inland a bit? Are the waters warm-er at mission beach?

I'll def checkout them potatoes. On nom nom

Really depends on what you spend most of the time doing and how much you are willing to spend. Water temps are fairly variable due to upwelling/currents, but so far its been a really warm summer. Mission Beach is generally warmer than La Jolla, but most places will be about the same.