Ugh

Chreees

Got two rejection emails today. One for a job I bugged the crap out of them for trying to get an interview, and the other I did have an interview last week but they decided to "move forward with other candidates." It's so discouraging. Why won't people hire me?? Is it because I'm overqualified because I have a degree? (These are jobs that only require a high school diploma) I just don't get it. Luckily my friend said he can most likely get me his old job designing advertisements. He is supposed to talk to them today and I hope to hear something back soon. I haven't even touched my savings yet since moving back to West TN, but it's driving me crazy sitting around without a job. I clean the house everyday, and I'm tired of that. I need real work. Something satisfying. At least my father-in-law is going to pay me to detail his truck today...

He gave me a number to call today and I got an interview set up for tomorrow at 9AM! I'm pretty excited right now. Called and the manager said my friend spoke very highly of me, so to come in tomorrow before they hire this other guy for the position, who already works there in a part-time position. Apparently they really don't want him for this specific job, haha.

Could be many factors, your interviewing skills, over qualified, under qualified, asking too much $$$ etc....Economy still kind of sucks so companies are more picky but don't be discouraged.  Check out the job sites like linkedin, dice, monster and careerbuilder, then build your network from there.  Good luck bro.

My professor describes interviews/job hunting in general as Russian roulette. They have a gun, every time you do something wrong or they see something on their resume they don't like etc etc they put a bullet in, and every time they see something they like, they take one out. At the end, they spin the chambers and pull the trigger and you hope you don't get shot. Point is, there's some chance mixed in there as well. You'll find something eventually!

Aaron- I've been scouring those sites for the past two years. Indeed has been my favorite thus far, as it doesn't scam me with those BS insurance "jobs." Jordan- That's really what it feels like. Everyone else- Thanks. I have a feeling it will go well tomorrow, but we shall see. I'm confident I can do the job, and do it well. I'm pretty good at marketing myself, so I don't see that being an issue. For the one interview I did have, I think it was the guy just didn't see me installing satellite dishes. I very well can I think. I'm in no way weak or lacking in skills to be able to. He was a good guy but he mentioned again and again "You gotta be able to go out there in the crappiest of conditions and do the job." To which I replied every time "That won't be a problem." I guess he didn't believe me. What was really discouraging was they had FOUR positions open. Oh well. I believe everything happens for a reason, and I just wasn't meant to install satellite dishes. Perhaps this interview tomorrow is the winner. They say third time is a charm, and this will be my third interview here recently. Thanks again for the thoughts, guys. I can't wait to be working again, and especially doing something OTHER than being a hotel front desk clerk!

I found that most companies that require just a HS diploma, hire losers most of the time.  It's pure stupidity.  I make fun of my dad for doing the same thing...he has such a turn over rate because he'd rather be cheap than pay someone what they deserve to get the job done correctly.  Instead, he hires idiots that you have to go back and redo all of their work almost a year later.

What kind of qualifications or unique skill sets do you have?  I'm looking for an online manager, someone good with people but knows how to take the bull by the horns, get things done in a timely manner and keep everyone else working full steam.

I found that most companies that require just a HS diploma, hire losers most of the time.  It's pure stupidity.  I make fun of my dad for doing the same thing...he has such a turn over rate because he'd rather be cheap than pay someone what they deserve to get the job done correctly.  Instead, he hires idiots that you have to go back and redo all of their work almost a year later.

What kind of qualifications or unique skill sets do you have?  I'm looking for an online manager, someone good with people but knows how to take the bull by the horns, get things done in a timely manner and keep everyone else working full steam.

Mind if I email you my resume? Please PM me your email address. My resume will have all of my qualifications and skills listed.

Overall though, I'm a very good "people person." Quite tech-savvy as well, meaning I can learn programs very quickly with little effort. If I can't figure it out, I can find the solution rather easily, too (it's amazing how helpful Google can be when you need to figure something out). Within a year of learning Final Cut Pro (the main editing program used in the film industry), I was teaching my fellow colleagues at MTSU, and after helping the Mass Communications department figure out what was wrong with the tape transfer to the computers from the old 8 cameras they were using, I was asked to help teach the advanced editing class my final semester. Back to customer service skills, I was the main employee responding to all of the guest reviews for the hotel. Best Western had a standard that all guest reviews had to be responded to personally.

Concerning idiots, that was probably the ONE thing I liked about working at the hotel the past few years... We had just four desk agents working plus my manager to fill in shifts here and there, and we had a good team. Everyone was smart, knew their job (and knew it well), and we could all communicate flawlessly. It was my wife and I and another married couple. Excellent setup. Just not enough pay, unfortunately. So like you mentioned, had my old boss been willing to pay me more, I would have been more willing to stick around a while longer. So I definitely know what you mean when you say it's stupid to not just pay smart people more for better results.Just wasn't worth it for near minimum wage. I desire more, meaning I want a house and have been talking to the wife about a kid in the near future. So my main objective right now is work hard at hopefully something I enjoy and be able to provide for a family. And enjoy life a little bit as well since I'll be able to see family and friends on a regular basis now that we're no longer 3 hours away from everyone we know...

Forgot that since I'm Asst Admin now I can see email addresses... I'll go ahead and send it to your registered email address on here, but if that isn't a good email, then please PM me. Thanks. :)

Yay, congrats! Let me know if you ever need a second opinion on anything... not that I don't think you're perfectly fine on your own, just good to get feedback from other art-types sometimes. :)

Congrats chreees and Jordan this is a joke but not from writers haha they are competitive. "If it's bad ill have it because I hate bad writing if its good ill be envious and hate it all the more." Sorry just had to through that line in I've seen the movie it's from 7 times in the last four days

Best Mexican restaurant in town, so fo sho. :)

Haha you gringos out in tennesse don't know what real Mexican food is
  • Upvote 1