Tiny Technical Connundrum With My Dads Laptop... Actually Its My First Time Seeing This Lol

Bawhee

Even uncle google isnt helpful.
So basically, my dads laptop worked just fine till this morning, when he put it to sleep mode, all was ok etc. when he got back to it the screen wasnt working, randomly it would show desktop for approx. half a second, so I figured theres a connection issue with the screen, prolly no biggie... but then dad says that its been shutting itself down consequently, he was just turning it on all the time to see if it got better...

Somehow on one of his attempts as I was googling he got into startup repair, found error 0x490 according to my dad, however it couldnt fix it and shut back down.

so right now I have a machine that is starting up but loops right back into startup, I cant get into safe mode cause there is no video output at all, with occasional flashes at some point I seemed to get into safe mode (Spammed f8 into the black screen after pushing the power button) got a glimpse of the pick safemode and other options screen, so I pressed enter since it was at go into safemode by default anyways... got windows startup sound atfer a while, short glimpse of desktop, glimpse of windows shutting down screen and back to off.

So Im thinking probably a hardware thing, but the system restore worked with the screen fully functional, showing the progress bar and all, mouse working and shit. (as it was doing its check I left for a while and when I got back it had finished and dad turned it off already).

So yeah, Im at a loss.

Sounds like something is failing in the POST test or the processor is over heating or the hard drive is gone.

Usually taking out the RAM and reseating it is the common issue. 

Open the laptop so you can see the board and power it on, if the fan over the Processor doesn't kick on, processor maybe gone but could be possibly good just replace the fan over the processor.

Thrown in another hard drive and see if it boots. 

Only speculating wildly without more info.

so yesterday the forums didnt work, I was gonna go open it up in the morning to see what was going on in there and it was booted and working. I dont know man, I dont know. Im sure its not gonna last but I honestly dont know what can cause this.

90% chance stuie is right on the over heating situation. there is a easy fix on a desktop for this but not 100% sure on laptop but a good thing to do is REALLTY over heat it like cover the fan and let it shut it self down. then wait like an 1 to cool off and try again.

If not i would look into ram and HD isusses. ram first then hd

Dang luka you need some good Balkan tools ... Hammer and screwdriver. Those tools you know built Rome. Lol.

If it is an overheat issue and it is old, you should crack it open and see if there is a dust block on any of the components. Those things are like vacuums and you wouldn't believe the stuff that gets pulled in there. I had something like this happen to me. The dust built in mine and shorted a circuit out. Start with that and let us know.

BTW what kind of laptop??

I've got to agree with Stuie on this one. Also, if it is just the video on the laptop not working sometimes, try hooking it into another video source to see if it is just a loose connection somewhere.

Model of laptop please?

If you want a dirty test of hardware stability, run a bootable version of Linux.  If it can run for, let's say an hour, then your memory and video card are at minimum working fine and it might just be the hard drive or the stability of your Windows installation might be bad and require a reinstall.  If it can't even get that far because it's restarting, then you've got something wrong hardware-wise.

If it's able to show the initial BIOS screen / splash screen on the machine, then it's able to POST at minimum.  At that point, remove and reconnect RAM, HDD, and Optical Drive if applicable and see if that does any change.  It may be loose hardware.

If it's still yelling at you, then you might have a problem with the motherboard or some integrated motherboard component (e.g. video card).

Is this a HP laptop? Probably HD or how about the GPU? I've had a HP Pavillon laptop several years back and that was the problem for most of that model. It turns on fine sometimes but turns off automatically without any warning, sometimes the screen doesn't show anything but the lights are on when I power it on.

Here's my rule of thumb on functioning life span (the point where it's better to buy new than repair) of computers (Mac or PC)

Desktops - 6 years functioning life span

Laptops - 5 years functioning life span

Servers - 3 years.... then use it for spare parts.

Anything running Video Rendering software, cut time in half.

I buy my desktops top of the line maxed out, and I get 7 years out of them.