Nawras Syrian Hookah @ 5Star

I only see the crosshatch one listed right now, and they've only got one, according to if you try adding more than one to your cart.

Linky: [url="http://5starhookah.com/Nawras-Syrian-W-Bohemian-Crystal-Base-NARCB.htm"]http://5starhookah.c...-Base-NARCB.htm[/url]

They've got the Swirl listed under the "Syrian Hookahs" category, but it shows as out of stock- http://5starhookah.com/Nawras-Syrian-SYNAW.htm . May have some left in the store that they'd be willing to sell you if you emailed or called them. Be prepared to pay for it, though. :)

I had a feeling that jumbo was a Nizbor! I love my teal Nizzie, but there is no way I will pay as much for a boho again. I don't regret it because it's very rare and it's fucking gorgeous, but, man, this boho craze is ridiculous.

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1346608023' post='555673']
[quote name='mattarios2' timestamp='1346601434' post='555670']
[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1346542559' post='555636']
[quote name='mattarios2' timestamp='1346542033' post='555635']
I got one, but mine came with a crappy tray and smaller hose port, doesn't matter though, hits the same and the quality is the same.

One of my favorite pipes, except mine has the swirled etching not the X etchings.

Buy em folks, wonderful pipe!

EDIT: Chreeees, I prefer the swirl :-)
[/quote]

So you got the "Nour" one, with the smaller hoseport and purge? I was under the impression those are not made by Al Nawras, rather another Syrian manufacturer, but I'm not positive, so don't quote me on that.
[/quote]

I have no idea, all I know is for it's tiny size it weighs about a pound and a half and I got it from a legit vendor, don't know if I can say their name and they claimed it was a Nour and on their site it is claimed to be a Nour and they have been discussed on forums and many have stated they are Nours.

Either way, the smaller port works just fine, and it is brass with a copper inside so to me, it doesn't really matter, only thing that makes me sad is it came with a not so great tray.
[/quote]

Nour is not a manufacturer, but rather the importer of most Syrian pipes. For whatever reason, the Syrians with the smaller hoseports and purge valves became known as Nours because that's how they were sold by American online vendors, while the ones with longer ports are usually labeled as Al Nawras (although when they were sold by HC back a few years ago on the Nizbor genies, George labeled them as Nours).

Interesting that the inside of yours is copper. Mine is brass all throughout. I guess that's another difference to take note of. And yeah, those usually came with crappy trays, whereas the Nawras come with the nice ones. Mine came with a plain tray (no designs), but it is very thick, deep, and durable. It had a "Made in Syria" sticker on it when I first got the shank brand new. The tray Twitchy has on his is the one most people want. I would too, but I like how deep my tray is to catch coals and whatnot, so it doesn't bother me that much. I may change it out if I ever find one I like enough, but it's not on the top of my list of things to do.

Mine weighs 2 pounds, btw.

[quote name='Twitchy' timestamp='1346607320' post='555672']

[/quote]

You got the crosshatch one?? Good job, brotha. :) I dig the boho you put it on, too.
[/quote]

By the way, I lied, I just weighed it, and it weighs 2 lbs. I think the only real difference between the generic and al nawras is the tray and hose port. As long as you have hoses that fit the port or just dremmel down the inside like I did, it really is a better bang for the buck. I compared it to my nawras nickel cross hatch pipe and they are so close in quality there is no difference really other than the tray and size of hose port. I find for "generics" Syrians and Turkish pipes are the best, Egyptians can get so shoddy and same with Chinese, not to say you can't get good generic Egyptians or Chinese pipes but you know what I am sayin!

[quote name='mattarios2' timestamp='1348007565' post='556684']
Nizbor bohos are easily without a doubt the nicest bohos.

I am so thankful I got all of mine when prices were reasonable.
[/quote]

Mattarios,

I am new to this, and have only been around for 6 months, but so far I have picked up two BJ Glassworks from Kasbah and an Egermann from a private sale.

Could you please explain how you picked your collection up, and what exactly you mean when you say prices were reasonable to help me understand the historical context of this collecting. If you posted this information elsewhere, please let me know where as I haven't seen it and I am very interested in learning more. I am sure others are interested as well.

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1348017546' post='556708']
Purge valve is smaller as well on the Nours. I love the purge on my Nawras crosshatch. It's perfect. :) The one on my wooden/brass Nawras is lower profile, but works just the same.
[/quote]

I didn't mention the purge b/c as you stated, they both work the same, I could care less about the size, if they work the same they work the same.

[quote name='doug5551' timestamp='1348046029' post='556753']
[quote name='mattarios2' timestamp='1348007565' post='556684']
Nizbor bohos are easily without a doubt the nicest bohos.

I am so thankful I got all of mine when prices were reasonable.
[/quote]

Mattarios,

I am new to this, and have only been around for 6 months, but so far I have picked up two BJ Glassworks from Kasbah and an Egermann from a private sale.

Could you please explain how you picked your collection up, and what exactly you mean when you say prices were reasonable to help me understand the historical context of this collecting. If you posted this information elsewhere, please let me know where as I haven't seen it and I am very interested in learning more. I am sure others are interested as well.
[/quote]

Years ago bohos were well priced. Hookahcompany used to sell them for 60-65 bucks. And you could use your 15% discount code which covered shipping so they were 60-65 shipped.

As time went on, and the value of the USD decreased it was more difficult to import them and make a buck so places like HC stopped importing them. Now only a few vendors get them every now and then and since they are rare now prices are much higher for them $95-105. I started collecting a while back and was able to get Nizbors which for the most part only HC had. Kasbah usually gets BJ glassworks. You can keep an eye on eBay and they pop up from time to time.

Nizbors are easily the nicest bohos for sure but the hardest to find as well.

[quote name='Skoozle' timestamp='1348067036' post='556765']
Keep in mind that in a few years when people are happily paying upward of $200 for bohos, people will say "man, remember when these were only $100".
[/quote]

Absolutely.

I have taken a few of my bohos to local glass makers here. I live near cape cod which is well known for their high quality glass production, especially sandwich (a town in the cape) and I asked them, HEY, can you replicate this with the same glass, gold designs etc, and various shops have quoted me between 300-500 so keep in mind, they are the price they are because of where they are made, if they were made in an area where labor is more expensive these things go waaaay waaaay up in price/value. Czech republic minimum wage rate is 8000 korunas per month which comes out to about $21/day. Bohemian Glassworks employees are paid $500 a month on average, which is peanuts a day.

[quote name='mattarios2' timestamp='1348058723' post='556758'][quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1348017546' post='556708']
Purge valve is smaller as well on the Nours. I love the purge on my Nawras crosshatch. It's perfect. The one on my wooden/brass Nawras is lower profile, but works just the same.
[/quote]

I didn't mention the purge b/c as you stated, they both work the same, I could care less about the size, if they work the same they work the same.
[/quote]

While I haven't tried a Nour crosshatch or swirl, I remember people saying the purge was smaller than Nawras and didn't function as well. That's why I mentioned it. I was saying my two Nawras purge the same, even though one is lower profile, it is the same size cap more or less. The Nour caps look smaller. Since you own a Nour, is that not the case? Do you have a Nawras to compare it to?

Tapatalk'd via iPhone

i had a nour camilla swirl, and nawras purge is definitely better but the nour purge wasnt bad either just had to blow slowly / softly lol

just didnt like how small the hose port was , and tray was to small and cheap , everytime a coal fell off it would hit rim and bounce on carpet.. still a quality pipe tho for sure

I don't really use the purge, I do own a Nawras and I have not noticed any difference in purge. Honestly, even if there is a difference its like 2 seconds woo whoo! Purge really does not matter to me at all, I personally would rather not have a purge so it is less to clean ie ELMAS! The only difference that matters to me personally is the tray. The hose port took 2 seconds to dremmel down and it holds a narbish and my km ultimate hose just fine now.

John- The Nawras pull to me is perfect. Why I decided to finally sell my KM OG Trimetal. It was just being neglected. Elmas was like halfway between Nawras and KM, which I found to be rather nice as well.

Pat- Not necessarily. While no one has said for sure, the Nours could be made by another Syrian manufacturer. They copy each others' styles, just like there's tons of Turkish hookah makers that make a 628 Elma's model, for example. The Nour crosshatch and swirl models could either be another Syrian company copying Nawras, or it could just be Nawras making them with smaller hose ports and purge valves. I bet it's the former, though. Either way, a Syrian pipe doesn't have to be an Al Nawras to mean it's good. :)

Tapatalk'd via iPhone

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1348162455' post='556837']Either way, a Syrian pipe doesn't have to be an Al Nawras to mean it's good. :)
[/quote]

Truth! I picked up a few old stock hookahs from the back of a warehouse. I think 2 are Leb and one is Syrian. They are mostly hollow but the craftsmanship is VERY nice, good ports, and it looks gorgeous. Nawras is just a manufacturer we know that has shown it can put out quality products. When things calm down in Syria a little bit I promise to you guys I'll be going out there and linking up with some manufacturers (and seeing my long missed family and friends :().

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1348162455' post='556837']
John- The Nawras pull to me is perfect. Why I decided to finally sell my KM OG Trimetal. It was just being neglected. Elmas was like halfway between Nawras and KM, which I found to be rather nice as well.

Pat- Not necessarily. While no one has said for sure, the Nours could be made by another Syrian manufacturer. They copy each others' styles, just like there's tons of Turkish hookah makers that make a 628 Elma's model, for example. The Nour crosshatch and swirl models could either be another Syrian company copying Nawras, or it could just be Nawras making them with smaller hose ports and purge valves. I bet it's the former, though. Either way, a Syrian pipe doesn't have to be an Al Nawras to mean it's good. :)

Tapatalk'd via iPhone
[/quote]

To each their own.

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1348162455' post='556837']

Tapatalk'd via iPhone
[/quote]

id like to try an elmas, i love my nawras restriction