Time For A Different Car...help!

Tyler

So I've had this orange beast, Ford Edge 2007 for a year now and I loved it when I got it because I was hauling around a LOT of things and people so it had plenty of room. Now I dont need anything this size and it SUCKS on gas mileage, right now I'm gettng about 18/22 MPG city/hwy. I'm looking for something that is better on gas, can be smaller if it needs to be but needs to be big enough for me to fit in it comfortably (I'm 6'5). I'd like to keep the payments at or under 250. Anyone who is good with cars wanna help me find some in the Lexington Area? Also open to Louisville and Cincinnati for major cities.Bsaically any kind of big sedan like the impala or a crossover/suv just not HHRs or PT Cruisers, they are smaller than they appear, trust me lol.

Focus! I'm really digging the new ones, and they are great for tall guys like yourself. Excellent gas mileage at ~30mpg combined city/hwy. Mine is an '07 and gets a little less than that. Handling is great on them; I love taking mine in tight turns. Sure it's not the fastest car out there, but it's got enough get-up-and-go. I think they look good, too, especially the 00-07 models (hatchbacks) and 12-13 (both hatchbacks and sedans).

So yeah, my vote goes Focus... I'm biased, but they win on so many levels.

How about a Camry? I have 2007 Camry V6 SE the best highway MPG I got was 30, I average about 23-25MPG in the city which is pretty good for a V6. Its pretty damn quick too, very roomy and a decent interior. Handling isn't bad either and its a beast in the snow haha, maintenance is pretty cheap and I have hookups on parts too. The redesign 2012 is nicer which also gets better MPG 21/30/25, its something worth checking out.

I guess I should also say that I don't like hatchbacks and I don't want a foreign car..too expensive to repair.

I don't think I'd be able to afford any of these cars. Trying to stay under 250 payments :P

I think I'm realy starting to like the Chevy Impala -- anyone know of commo defects with them?

[quote name='Tyler' timestamp='1343273388' post='552612']
I think I'm realy starting to like the Chevy Impala -- anyone know of commo defects with them?
[/quote]

yeah, it is a chevy
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='IainUM' timestamp='1343323533' post='552652']
yeah, it is a chevy
[/quote]

YES, this. Personally I'd rather support an American company that hasn't accepted bailouts. Remind me how that exemplifies capitalism? Anyways, political faux pas aside, Ford is one of the best manufacturers out there right now, you really cant go wrong with any of their new models. Since changing to global product platforms we no longer have to drool over the superior models Europeans get. The 2013 Fusion is the sexiest mid-size sedan ever made, IMO, and is one of the most technologically advanced cars. That wont be out for a couple months but if you can wait I think it's a no brainer. How about the Focus sedan? Affordable, very well made, great mileage, and packed full of awesome options and tech. My 6'4" friend has one (and has completely deteriorated hips) and has never complained about comfort in it.

[/quote]

yeah, it is a chevy
[/quote]

Boom...
[quote name='KasbahBazaar' timestamp='1343324411' post='552654']
yeah, it is a chevy
[/quote]

YES, this. Personally I'd rather support an American company that hasn't accepted bailouts. Remind me how that exemplifies capitalism? Anyways, political faux pas aside, Ford is one of the best manufacturers out there right now, you really cant go wrong with any of their new models. Since changing to global product platforms we no longer have to drool over the superior models Europeans get. The 2013 Fusion is the sexiest mid-size sedan ever made, IMO, and is one of the most technologically advanced cars. That wont be out for a couple months but if you can wait I think it's a no brainer. How about the Focus sedan? Affordable, very well made, great mileage, and packed full of awesome options and tech. My 6'4" friend has one (and has completely deteriorated hips) and has never complained about comfort in it.
[/quote]

...and boom. Exactly what I was gonna say... Fuck Chevy. Buy Ford. ;)
  • Upvote 1

[/quote]

People will think you are a middle aged white guy, who refuses to use blinkers.
Or someone over 60 relieving their younger days, who always uses the wrong blinker.

Other than that.. golden.

Thanks for the feedback so far yall. Mid-sized cars are too small, my knees are constantly in the dash -- if I ever got in a fender bender my legs would be fucked lol....not to mention my head being ~1 inch from the roof. I'll have to check out the full sized sedan Focus I guess. I'm pretty much looking at Fords and Chevys...I liked the Impala I drove this morning but it was an 02, had a little too many miles to consider buying it. As far as size goes Chevy has the Aveo --> malibu --> impala for compact, mid size, full size, what is the breakdown for ford cars? Is th Focus a mid size or a full size? Also, maybe a stupid question, but with the electric focus, how would I plug it in if Ilive in an apartment complex?

Ford's range goes like this.

Fiesta (sub-compact) --> Focus (compact) --> Fusion (mid-size) --> Taurus (full-size). The Taurus is also a great car. I would check the 2013 Fusion out when it comes out. All the cars for that matter. Nothing lost by taking a trip to the Ford dealership and seeing what you fit in without ruling it out, you may be surprised at how roomy they are. Like I said, my friend is 6'4" with a busted hip and fits great in his Focus. Bottom line: Ford has the highest rated quality and most technologically advanced American cars at the moment.

Plug in EV at an Apt. Hmmm, maybe that's not the best option for you. You could get a generator or an extension cord out of the window.

I had a '96 Taurus and it took me through hell and back. I gave it to my brother who sold it to his frind who gave or sold it to his brother. It's still bangin around town and my brother os the only one who might have taken care of it properly. They were solid cars 12 years ago.

What about a G6? They're nice cars, get decent enough MPG, and should fit your frame

yeah finding a car that you can fit in that gets good mileage is hard becuase being big sucks!!. thats why i've stuck with trucks after i had my first car. being tall isn't fun

I drive a Honda Civic, it's cheap and good on gas. That being said, I'm 7 inches shorter than you, so it'd be hard to say if it'd work well for you. I like the new Fords, just get the skidplate underneath it taken off. They're useless, especially on sedans or small cars.

Hey packers is Phi Mu at UK? If so we should hit up Prince or something sometime! But yeah, I saw a Chrysler 300 that I really liked and a Ford Fusion. I like dodge chargers but they get horrid MPG :-\

Hey Tyler, the chapter of Phi Mu Alpha I was a part of was in Richmond at EKU (I'm an alumni now), one county south of Lexington. There is a chapter at UK though. I live in Lex, I'm definitely down for a trip to the Prince. Also, have you checked out new Accords, Tauruses, or Camrys? They're both good on gas and decently sized, they should be able to fit someone of your stature. All the tall people I know drive cars that suck on gas, like my friend Jeff, at 6'6", who drives an old Jeep, and Slade, at 6'9", who drives a Ford truck.

Keep in mind, you can get seat rail extenders for some models, making an otherwise unusable car comfortable.

Cool man, I'll PM you my number, feel free to text me whenever and we can work something out.