Miltary Folks

SaintPendulous

I really appreciate all the Boys and Girls over seas who do their thing and defend the country

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!

......that being said, my cousin was over seas in afghanistan for a year and ever since he came back....has been damn near unbearable, he thinks he's Captain-Fucking-America, everytime he reads about somebody having a shitty day or going through a rough patch its

"Mother Fucker i was overseas for a year what do you have to bitch about?"

he says that he cant sleep or sit in a room with his back turned to the door because hes uncomfortable with it....something he learned over seas

when in reality the kid NEVER ONCE SAW ANY ACTION, he rode in vehicles with important people, never once got shot at, never once shot anybody else let alone Shot At anybody else

The thing im really noticing is hes holding onto this and makes it seem like everybody should be groveling......

NE thoughts?

For whatever reason, your cousin seems to have a need to make that experience his identity. If you take that from him, what will he have left? Annoying to everyone else? Sure, but it's almost one of those "let kids be kids" kind of thing. He has to grow out of it. And your annoyance isn't his problem. It's yours, so when he gets on your nerves with it, just walk away for the moment. Eventually, it's likely the time will come when he'll either move on to something else to define his identity, or he'll start to notice the room clearing every time he opens his mouth and ask why. Maybe even ask someone who didn't push him deeper into it by arguing with him. It could well be that being overseas in a war zone where he was still an outsider to those out in active combat, means he's trying to fit in after the fact. At least in his own mind.

Now being one of the old folks in life, people doing things I consider annoying doesn't sink so deep. Nobody gets up in the morning and purposely wonders how to piss off everyone they come in contact with. Whatever is going on inside them pushes them into acting whatever way they do. We offer kindness when we're in a kind place ourselves, and so forth. Having learned that has taken a huge amount of personal aggravation out of my life. Everyone has their delusions about themselves. Usually they come from necessity. Bursting them for us before we are willing to give them up on our own, usually does more harm than good.

'Rani

My brother in-law is like that. Just got down with a tour in Iraq at the end of last summer his marine squad... truck drivers... he spat his mouth off a lot. (His stories and his squads stories...are not the same stories)

He's been in a ton of bar fights because of it. Hospitalized a couple of times.

Some one will eventually slap the kid.

groovy man, thanks rani and it does bother me but its alot of how he thinks he's better and nobody else in the world can vent about their problems because "his life was so rough being in the army"

I knew a guy like that who was a Viet Nam war veteran. I finally told him that combat was nothing - I was married to Satan's daughter. He laughed and understood immediately how he'd been acting. But we had been best friends for a long time and he knew my wife. It may not work the same on everybody.

Whether a vet has seen combat or not, they were willing to put their life on the line by just being in a combat zone. That's enough to earn our respect. Most won't say much about their experience if it was really bad, but some of the WWII and Viet Nam vets are some of the most interesting men I've ever talked to. I've even met and talked to some German WWII veterans; great guys with some different stories.

Perhaps you need to introduce him to someone who was wounded in combat. If anyone can teach a boy a lesson in humility, it's a one-legged soldier...

lot of those sort running around having a pitty-party about how had they had it. I don't think the "counciling" they are required to take before they get cut loose is helping the matter.

The part of it that I find intresting is that most of the people I have met that act like that fit into the catagory of support units, and are under 30. Maybe that is just my experience with them, but it seems to be a steadfast rule. Seeing a rotting half-body is a traumatic experience, and when your mind only has 18 years of history to formulate a response, it is going to affect a person.

Not justifying anyone acting like an azzhat, just saying when you are part of the "participation trophy generation" where no one wins/looses/keeps score, then you find yourself driving by a ditch with some poor fool is lying in the sand with his guts scattered across a fet thouand square inches of the asshole of the universe... it's one serious reality check - not everyone is going to deal with it well.