My Little Girl...

Stuie

Well some of you know but most don't, so a quick recap.

After my little girl was born she had 2 UTI's before she was 6 months old. Come to find out after a lot of testing she had kidney reflux in both kidneys. Basically waste flowing from the kidney to the bladder flows back into the kidneys and can cause infection, scaring and long term damage to the kidneys. So she has been on antibiotics for a full year now.

So all of yesterday was spent a Cook's Children Hospital for testing and evaluation. Got up at 4am and drove to Fort Worth. Hard to explain to a 15 month old you can't eat or drink all morning.

So she had a full organ ultrasound, a little sedation, catheter and a cystogram. Most of the morning was spent calming her down and holding her down for the procedures.

So Good news: Left Kidney has developed and strengthened more and is perfectly healthy.

So Bad news: The right has not. It is still at a Stage 3 (out of 5) in severity. The last UTI apparently was worse than we thought and there is some scaring on the kidney.

So basically it's another waiting game. Another checkup in 18 months with another 4 hours of frustrating testing on my little girl. With a higher dose of Antibiotics (This bothers me since she has been basically taking them for most of her life now). We are going to have periodically check her urine protein levels to make sure the right kidney isn't getting worse. Another Infection will cause more damage since there is already scaring. but it's impossible to say how much.

So basically we are hoping and praying for another uneventful 18 months and hopefully the right kidney will show signs of improvement.

It's just as a dad, i feel helpless, because there is nothing I can do to fix this. But on the plus side she's the happiest little girl and she hasn't had problems the past year.

[IMG]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs057.ash2/36200_809739518590_23901952_43817402_1445064_n.jpg[/IMG]

I hear ya Stuie. My friend @ work has kind of the same issue, where their youngest is prone to UTI. She ended up getting meningitis @ 6 months old, and is supposed to be on antibiotics for god knows how long. My own kids have luckily been ok thus far, but with the 3rd on the way, I always worry about this kind of stuff. I can only imagine how hard it is. Luckily with yours, her one kidney is doing good, and so far the prognosis seems to be relatively up beat. While it does suck, it could be FAR worse.

She's a cutie for sure! Can't wait till my little girl has enough hair for the pigtails like that. She just turned 1, and is just now having her hair fill out. We're not even sure what color to expect. LOL

Hang in there man. It will all be a bad memory soon. My sister had a kidney defect when she was younger. Had an extra tube going down to her urethra. Had to get sliced opened, and get it removed, since she was always getting UTI and what not. Now that she's almost 40, its just a faint scar, and her life never suffered any more from it all. Thats how most of these things work out. Kids are pretty resilient like that.

I'm sorry to hear your gorgeous little girl is having issues. Bladder and kidney issues are women's nightmares for most of our lives. We're lucky if we only get a couple UTI's in our lifetime. The one thing you might also what to do is consult a holistic practitioner who might add some natural remedies to boost healing and overall heath. Find someone who knows to work within and in addition to traditional medicine. Not someone who thinks all medicine is bad and who'd want to take over and take her off medication that has so far worked on one kidney. There's a lot that can be done from a food and drink angle. Certain foods, especially sugars tend to contribute towards UTI's as an example. Couldn't hurt to boost her overall urinary tract.through holistic measure without interfering with the medicine she's already taking.

'Rani

I was a sick little girl. In and out of the hospital constantly. Whenever I look through my baby book I see all my mother's notes on how worried sick she was. How much it hurt her that she couldn't help and that I was so miserable. Her anxiety over the surgeries I had, I can't imagine how it was for her. But if it's any consolation for you whatsoever, I don't remember 99% of it. I have flashes, but they aren't horrible. I bet your daughter forgets too--but I'm so sorry that you have to go through all this. I really can't imagine. Good thoughts for you and your family. I wish her health and happiness.

I would try one of Rani's holistic witch dr's too. It never ceases to amaze me, how much different foods can affect body chemistry... nor how fast it will.

I feel for both of you.

Prayers, and best hopes my friend.

My prayers go out to your daughter, to you and your family. She is a very cute little girl whose face speaks volumes about her love for life. May everything work out positively for her.

Stuie
my niece had this exact same problem. She was on antibiotics for years. She is now a very health very happy 13 year old teen. As a Dad I know how you feel. when my boy was little (3 ish) he got a bunch of splinters in his feet. they started to infect and I could not get them out. So we took him to the dr where they ask me to hold him down while they removed them. Here is the worst part. My little baby looked me in the eye and said "I promise to be good daddy,please don't let them hurt me" what do you say to that.
I told him he was not in trouble and that I loved him very much and the Dr will be as gentle as she can but if we don't get the wood out of your foot it can make you very sick.
It hurts your heart being a big strong man and the only thing you can do is hold them down and love them when it is done.
Ray

Thanks everyone.

It was a real stressful morning that day. I had to hold her down for pretty much every procedure and test. But we were done by 11:30 and by the time we got out to lunch she was great. but between the last test and lunch, she wouldn't let go of me. It was cute, but I know she just felt bad and needed some love.

I just wish there was more that I can do.

Rani, we are looking at holistic stuff also. My wife is really big on that stuff. She has probiotics everyday since she was born.

We just have to see how things are in 18 months... sigh... i hate waiting.

I wish your family the best of luck Stuie. I'm sure you'll have a turn around in that time, look at what has happened so far. She will be in my prayers. I am a strong advocate of holistic medicine, some things help me in my everyday life. I'll see if I can dig up anything locally.

I'm sorry to hear about that, my best friend of over 10 years had that as a kid, and now she is in medical school and loving life.
I hope and pray for the best for you and your little girl. She is the cutest girl I've seen in a long time!

Wow man... my heart goes out to you and yours.

i have been wondering how your little girl was doing for a while now. im sorry to hear that she isnt at 100% yet, hang in there man, one kidney is doing great and the other one will follow, just have hope, BTW she is a very beautiful little girl congrats once again.

Man, I understand and sympathize. Brooklynn was very sickly her first 1.5 years it was one thing after another. We had to get her tested repeatedly for a serious immune disease. The funny thing is, she turned 4 today and I can't even remember what it was anymore. They grow so fast and time just flies. It's tough balancing parental concern while still letting them be kids and enjoy life. When all you want is to protect and you can do nothing yourself it's nervwracking to the max. Annabelle had eye surgery and all I could think about was what could go wrong. She now barely needs her glasses and is stronger having gone through that surgery. It gave her confidence to face her fears and soldier through it (with lots of hugs and kisses mind you).

The kids they grow. It's bittersweet. Enjoy every moment you have and remember that you get so stressed and concerned because of the vast amount of love you have for her (cutie btw). When it seems to much just live in the moment and get back to that love.

• 1 month later...
I cant understand your UTI problem with your little one but my little boy was born with severe autism. I can understand the worry and concern. i hope she ends up well. Luckily at this point my boy doesnt understand but i am still worried. Your girl should be ok but may (judging by the time period of postnatal adjustment) a little bit... well lets say off.. but nothing a little bit of "extra help" cant solve. i may be a criminal psychologist but i know my child stuff. Ideally she will be fine but keep an intense watch on her to make sure she is ok in the future. I dont mean to scare you .just trying to be helpful. those problems at that state of development can be traumatic even if you and her dont realize