Final Fantasy Xiv

Tyler

So I don't know how many PC gamers we have on the forum but I just pre-ordered my Final Fantasy XIV which comes out September 22 (or 30 for non-preorders). I loved FFXI and they seemed to have changed everything that got annoying (like taking a month to level) after polling players of WoW, AoC, Starwars, and Warhammer getting the best of all the MMO worlds. So yeah, anyone else going to play!?

It is serious discussion. You're not a gamer, you wouldn't understand.

i dunno how serious this discussion could get, but the game looks interesting....

i'd like to get into another MMO while i wait for D3 to come out....but, the last i heard from FFXI, the profession/job/skill whatever grind was ridiculously tedious....

might have to read up on the game a bit more, before i actually commit to buying it....

[quote name='Arcane' date='05 July 2010 - 02:37 AM' timestamp='1278311835' post='474006']
i dunno how serious this discussion could get, but the game looks interesting....

i'd like to get into another MMO while i wait for D3 to come out....but, the last i heard from FFXI, the profession/job/skill whatever grind was ridiculously tedious....

might have to read up on the game a bit more, before i actually commit to buying it....
[/quote]

Yeah it was very tedious. They actually got rid of it altogether from what I've read so far. Basically your "job" is classified by what type of weapon you weild -- wand, staff, sword, polearm, ect... and as you use each weapon type you skill up that type of weapon to advance into more sophisticated skills, versus having to level AND skill up weapons. I'm just curious to see how they're going to do the mage class, as that's usually what I play in games like that.

cool...so, basically...i'm assuming it's like WoW's weapon skill system....which would be pretty cool. i'm a bit confused on some of the classes though....since one is a chef or some sort of cook. if i chose that as my class, do i beat people with a meat cleaver and kettle?

NERRRRDDDSSSS!!!

:) Just kidding. I stopped playing FF games after X-2, and haven't really had a desire to start up again. I need a new game to play, and I am getting tired of shooters. Maybe if I can find a decent cracker version of this (though its pretty unlikely) i'll try it out or something. If I like it, I may buy it. We'll see.

[quote name='Arcane' date='05 July 2010 - 12:24 PM' timestamp='1278347089' post='474023']
cool...so, basically...i'm assuming it's like WoW's weapon skill system....which would be pretty cool. i'm a bit confused on some of the classes though....since one is a chef or some sort of cook. if i chose that as my class, do i beat people with a meat cleaver and kettle?
[/quote]

Nah, you have two types of jobs, battle jobs, and skill-trade jobs. Being a chef, blacksmith, alchemist, ect... would all be skill trades that skill up independantly with the use of whatever tool you need to do it (such as a logger's hatchet, mallet, pickaxe, ect...)

[quote name='Arcane' date='05 July 2010 - 03:14 PM' timestamp='1278357253' post='474037']
i think i'll get it then...any gameplay videos out yet?
[/quote]

There should be a few, I know alpha testing just happened a few weeks ago. You might want to download the benchmark test from the website to see how you'll run the game on your computer, I know it's graphicallly insane. Google "FFXIV Benchmark"

i got a 1155 on my laptop...i'll run it again on my desktop when i get back to Hawaii.....

what score is considered acceptable?

edit: nm, found it.... Edited by Arcane