Do You Ash Your Hookah Coal?

[quote name='Arcane' date='29 January 2010 - 02:28 AM' timestamp='1264757321' post='448351']since when do CCNs build a thick coating of ash? or AF cocos? hmmmmmmm? [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Cocos require the least amount of ashing but they still build up some ash that I knock off to increase heat output. This might be countered by the high heat output of Cocos. AF Nats ash only slightly less than CH's so they definately need to be ashed. CH's ash the most, IMO. Like someone posted before, you have no choice with those.

A while back we conducted an experiment at the lounge with Cocos, AF Nats, and CH Nats. Started them at the same time, smoked, rotated, and ashed at the same, timed intervals, and recorded our observations of heat output, ash quantity, start time, and burn time. It was a pretty legit experiment with some not so surprising results.

One thing we noted was that Cocos burn quite hotter than the other two. This being the case, it might be advantageous to let some ash build up on them to act as an insulator to prevent scorching.

I rarely ash. I have been smoking Cocos and other coconut coals, I just light them and leave them. Vibrations on the hookahs usually keep the ash falling off the coals.

When is it time to ash?

After the next round of coals are lit, and then dump the coals and ash into the coal tray.

[quote name='Codename067' date='31 January 2010 - 03:49 AM' timestamp='1264927757' post='448701']
Ash on the sides, and a flat black coal on th bottom!

Flat coals tend to turn black on the bottom, which is why using natural wood coals is better because they all come in different shapes and are almost never flat any where, so oxygen is being fed to the coal from every angle, unlike coals like Exoticas and Cocos, where their bottom side turns black with in a couple minutes due to the fact that oxygen circulation on the bottom is very poor because it's so flat.

But, rotating and ashing coals often helps eliminate that problem, almost completely.
[/quote]

Actually, I think I do something much different than everyone else. When I light the coals I only light one side of them. Than when the side is lit I put the unlit side ontop of the foil. Ive found that by doing this the shisha burns less, it takes less time to light the coals, and in the end means longer coal burn time. And as Eric said, it heats up the bowl and shisha evenly.

[quote name='Stuie' date='01 February 2010 - 10:32 AM' timestamp='1265056351' post='448954']
I rarely ash. I have been smoking Cocos and other coconut coals, I just light them and leave them. Vibrations on the hookahs usually keep the ash falling off the coals.

When is it time to ash?

After the next round of coals are lit, and then dump the coals and ash into the coal tray.
[/quote]
that's why i like the AFs...they ash really easy...so easy, that a long steady pull will ash them perfectly.. :)

i use 3 kings 33mm.I usually only ash them once during a session.just drop it in the coal carrier.all the ash drops off and back it goes on the bowl.

[quote name='fillup' date='01 February 2010 - 12:56 PM' timestamp='1265057769' post='448964']Actually, I think I do something much different than everyone else. When I light the coals [b]I only light one side of them[/b]. Than when the side is lit [b]I put the unlit side ontop of the foil[/b]. Ive found that by doing this the shisha burns less, it takes less time to light the coals, and in the end means longer coal burn time. And as Eric said, it heats up the bowl and shisha evenly.
[/quote]

That does not sound safe AT ALL!

Have you heard of CO poisoning? Make sure that your coal is COMPLETELY lit before you throw it on the bowl...

I always ash my coals. I use both coconaras and Ch Nats. I drop the coals in the tray and flip them over so the black side can turn to ash again.

I try not to ash my coals, the more I mess with my coals the more problematic the session seems. I only start messing with coals if the bowl gets harsh or I'm not getting enough smoke then I adjust the coals accordingly.

I have to ash my coco coals and flip, the bottoms go black so quickly and the smoke dies out. In fact I have to use 3 cocos (well half a cococha coal which is a bit thinner than a coconara) and a windcover! Sounds overkill but the black sided coals do not heat my bowl up sufficiently. Even three full cocochas which are 2.5cm3 sized coals wont heat the bowl up properly because they go black!

Its odd but my mate who smokes with disc QLs gets insane smoke without having to ash wheras I cant do that. I think the curved gap under the disc allows it to heat better than flat coals. Hence me thinking why they dont make natural disc coals! HOWEVER I have found natural three kings coal from germany and I will order a box to try them out.

So I have to agree with codename on this one, uneven surfaces are better than flat ones! If someone can tell me how to keep the bottom of a coco red while smoking I will be forever grateful!

[quote name='the_cool' date='02 February 2010 - 03:03 PM' timestamp='1265151801' post='449261']
I have to ash my coco coals and flip, the bottoms go black so quickly and the smoke dies out. In fact I have to use 3 cocos (well half a cococha coal which is a bit thinner than a coconara) and a windcover! Sounds overkill but the black sided coals do not heat my bowl up sufficiently. Even three full cocochas which are 2.5cm3 sized coals wont heat the bowl up properly because they go black!

Its odd but my mate who smokes with disc QLs gets insane smoke without having to ash wheras I cant do that. I think the curved gap under the disc allows it to heat better than flat coals. Hence me thinking why they dont make natural disc coals! HOWEVER I have found natural three kings coal from germany and I will order a box to try them out.

So I have to agree with codename on this one, uneven surfaces are better than flat ones! If someone can tell me how to keep the bottom of a coco red while smoking I will be forever grateful!
[/quote]
I use coconaras and I never feel like they are going out mid session. I leave them on my burner until they are glowing red and have a flame coming off of them, maybe you're not leaving them on the burner long enough.And I poke tons of holes in my foil and I think more airflow might help keep them hot.

[quote name='Codename067' date='31 January 2010 - 02:59 PM' timestamp='1264975194' post='448765']
[quote name='Sonthert' date='31 January 2010 - 01:24 PM' timestamp='1264973042' post='448762']
Direct contact with the foil will conduct heat away from the coal, making their surface black (although its still quite hot)...that just means that more heat is being directed to the bowl. Using coals that are uneven will have more red surfaces...it means the coal is wasting more heat and relying more on convection. [b]Thats why lumpy coals take more coal to get the same job done [/b]than formed, flat-sided coals.
[/quote]

I will disagree with that statement.

You gotta come down to LA and smoke with me one day then so you can see otherwise :]
[/quote]

Go ahead. Disagree. ;)

Why don't you come down to San Diego? I was just in Los Angeles tonight. :P

Lumpy coals may burn hotter..they may be denser...I was talking in a different sense, but if you want to bring your coals and hookah down, I'd like to see for myself. Besides, weren't you supposed to come down here last Friday??

[quote name='Stuie' date='01 February 2010 - 12:32 PM' timestamp='1265056351' post='448954']

When is it time to ash?

[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Codename067' date='01 February 2010 - 10:02 PM' timestamp='1265079760' post='449048']
[quote name='fillup' date='01 February 2010 - 12:56 PM' timestamp='1265057769' post='448964']Actually, I think I do something much different than everyone else. When I light the coals [b]I only light one side of them[/b]. Than when the side is lit [b]I put the unlit side ontop of the foil[/b]. Ive found that by doing this the shisha burns less, it takes less time to light the coals, and in the end means longer coal burn time. And as Eric said, it heats up the bowl and shisha evenly.
[/quote]

That does not sound safe AT ALL!

Have you heard of CO poisoning? Make sure that your coal is COMPLETELY lit before you throw it on the bowl...

[/quote]

Idk about that. If you think about it, the coal normally goes out when you throw it on the bowl. Not the top side but the underside. Wouldent that be the same thing thats going on?