The Secret

*quick edit didn't work*

Now I'm not discounting Eric's post about hard work, that's all a part of it. You can bend a spoon, with your mind either by telekensis or by your hands, either way it is your mind at work.

You can't just sit around and wait for good to happen, you have to believe and act on those beliefs.

QUOTE (Vampy6997 @ May 23 2009, 05:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't finish watching The Secret yet, I had to stop watching it because it was hitting a lot of stuff on the money, so to speak. Basically, for the last 15 years, I've been learning a lot about the world. Things I can't relate to people without them thinking I'm crazy, however I know I'm not.

It goes off the basis of the "law of attraction" which I never held much thought on, however, I've had a firm belief that believing things (reasonable, attainable things, of course) can change or alter a person's reality. In fact, I wrote a 5 page email to my mom about belief, and how if you believe something, good things will result...

It's beyond the whole "god" ideas that most modern religions portray. It's not something they talk about. It's why some people get pushed away (they doubt, thus not believing in order to see result), and some notice "miracles" (those people don't doubt, and know that things will happen the way they want/need them to)...

Why is it so hard to achieve this mindset to alter your life for the better? Each and every thought manifests into reality (so long as you give it a chance to)....if you constantly think negatively, you will find not only are those surrounding you going to be negative, and negative things will happen. This makes it really difficult to think positively and have a belief in things going more like the way you would want them to.

I just wanted to share what I was learning from The Secret, or at least realizing. It's great to see something put to words for that which I had no real firm grip on prior to now. While great things have happened for me when I really believed in them, I stopped spending as much time on it because it scared me to have that much control over reality.

If anyone has any thoughts, feel free to share smile.gif

I think there's something to positive thinking, in that generally, thinking positively seems more likely to produce a resolve to do good things. I don't believe, however, that the power of positive thinking can be harnessed to "change" reality. Reality is what it is (how's that for profundity!). Although together we create a social reality, it's too wishful, if not even self-aggrandizing to think that our lone selves can do something so significant by merely thinking positively (or, to use the language of the film, "asking," "believing," and "receiving") that brings us positivity or reward.

To the greatest extent, I agree with Eric on this. I think this film re-packages a hodgepodge of self-help escotericism. I sense too palpable new-age-iness. I do agree further, but to some extent about its attractiveness due to its mystical presentation.

Vampy: I read what your saying, but what if what you think are the right qualities for a man to have aren't? What if you're wrong? What if, for happiness' sake, that a completely different set of ideals/qualities are the ones you should be pursuing? I agree, it would seem reasonable to select a man who doesn't like to kick the shit out of you or the baby. beyond that, though...It has been said that there is a big difference between selecting an avocation and a vocation, just because you enjoy video games, for instance, doesn't mean you should get a job testing video games...you may not enjoy it doing it 40 hours a week. In the same sense, I would imagine that there is a big difference between a person who is a hobby and one that you're willing to go 24/7 with. I object to the lame-ass mystical bullshit of this video because of women I've known who have, like your mother, had abusive partners. They would try positive thinking, not making a mistake, believing that he'd change and continuing to stick with him. That didn't stop him from kicking the shit out of her or him being angry and verbally abusive, but more or less "she" believed "she" just had to adjust her attitude the right way...it never helped. More violence, more abuse, more intimidation. In one case, she ended up dead. Her, their 6 month old daughter, her mother and this jack-ass. Positive thinking is worthless. Although this dead woman believed it was "The Secret" to getting him to calm down. You need to have a negative attitude, get your ass up and get out of that house...fast. The Secret is a formula for enabling victim mentality. Pure and simple. It is disgusting and offensive. If a person's house is on fire...why don't they just believe that having the right attitude will put it out? If a person don't turn on a hose or call the fire department, they are an idiot. Instead of wasting mental energy having a positive attitude, focus on solving a problem. Maybe having a negative attitude will be far more beneficial. The violence isn't going to end, the fire will burn the house down, I'm probably wrong, etc.

I'm done.

Judge Poser: Well put. You are without a doubt, one the most rational people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

well while I haven't seen the secret myself I hold my own beliefs.

Judge, I do agree with you in some respect. However, through much research and experience, I have come to believe and witness the power of thought. It's an amazing thing, and in my opinion to undervalue such a great asset is to limit one's self.

I do agree that thinking positively will create a resolve to act in such ways and lead to better results. However, there are certain unexplainable ways to harness the human mind. Further more, I don't believe anyone suggested one person could change society by the power of positive thinking, unless I missed something. However, one can effect the reality in which they live by doing so. Then as a result, the person who believes in their reality, makes it everyone's reality (locally, with the possibility of a larger scale)

Of course, I respect your position on it, as everyone is entitled to their own, and while I can present my opinions based on my experience I'm sure you have your own. And I would desire to further the understanding of my beliefs, without attempting to persuade anyone to agree, that's their own choice. Which I believe is the greatest power we all possess (choice that is).

While I haven't seen the film, I do hold the opinion that like all films it exaggerates ideals and to believe any movie to be 100% fact would be selling yourself short of intelligence.

While I kind of agree with what Eric is saying, to be devil's advocate, positive thinking for a lost cause is just that. There is a right way, and a wrong way to have positive thinking. Wrong way to have positive thinking, be in an abusive relationship, and think you can magically think things better. Right way? I have the power to stand up for myself, and get out of this situation. I am not powerless, and am able to leave said asshole, and change my life.

• 5 weeks later...
I'm a very optimistic person except for what happens with my pc ( or the internet). Power and the people seeking it will use anything to hold on to that power. As we all know "power currupts". It corrupts people already a bit or a lot corrupt to begin with. Go to a site which has trends for the latest thing to watch out for, as an example your timely written letter here.And stay away.
Even if you never again use a pc, handheld, etc again, anything can today be cooked up to use against you.

Hard work consitantly beats talent unless talent works hard consistantly.

• 3 weeks later...
I really enjoyed this film, i think you need to take what you believe from it and leave the rest of it alone. Some of the examples seemed a little overboard but there were def. some interesting points made. ITs too bad the focus was on financial gains and ownership. I think we def. send waves off depending on our personality and mood, and we gravitate towards people with either the same currents or energies we can take advantage of.

TO qoute one of my great mentors "I believe in the law of action, not the law of attraction" (Mike Ferry).

For example I cannot simply lock myself in my room and THINK about money, and have it fall from the sky. NO matter how hard I try to attract it, it will not come unless I got out and put myself into action. Now can I think about what would be the essiest way for me to put my talents to work and make some money? Yes.. But in my oppinion this is called THINKING, ask yourself the right question (expecting an answer) and your mind will provide it (Tony Robbins)..

Since when does using your brain to solve a problem have anything to do with powers of the universe..

Wanna know what Rhonda Byrne asked herself in 2006 "How can I write a book, to make a bunch of people buy it, and therefor make me lots of money?" Hence the Secret was born.. Keep in mind she was not wealthy by any means before writting that book..

If you want to know how the universe works, try reading Robert Kyosaki's Rich Dad Poor Dad, because our universe revoles around Money, and wealth. Wealth ruled the universe before Christ was born, and will continue to do so far after we have replaced christ some sort of new Deity..

Oh yeah i like this post you did Vampy.

It is very true, that even if wanted, one cant see things out of him without the subjective experience, how neutral one can see or not. This is why some people call life a 'dream' or 'illusion', but not to take this so deep, that we lose our sense of reality and drown, which i have learned at younger a hard way of how different types of beliefs and thoughs can sometimes have odd affect on us.

Very many of people has some thoughs, which cause negative effects into our lifes, but still keeping them true or 'right'. For example somekind of hate against capitalism or materialism which prevents us of even trying to gather or safe our income to also thoughs about being generous if spending our moneys with friends without even thinking of how do we survive the next week. I have watched The Secret long time ago, and to be honest i dont appreciate this type of 'documentaries' very much, and these should not be taken too seriously. Still the point were that if thoughs bring negative effects, i think they are not good or right, and other way around. Some thoughs can bring us depression and we become lazy while we might walk everyday past our dream prince. or princess, haha biggrin.gif
$
$

N.K

QUOTE (fcbayern @ Jul 14 2009, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TO qoute one of my great mentors "I believe in the law of action, not the law of attraction" (Mike Ferry).

For example I cannot simply lock myself in my room and THINK about money, and have it fall from the sky. NO matter how hard I try to attract it, it will not come unless I got out and put myself into action. Now can I think about what would be the essiest way for me to put my talents to work and make some money? Yes.. But in my oppinion this is called THINKING, ask yourself the right question (expecting an answer) and your mind will provide it (Tony Robbins)..

Since when does using your brain to solve a problem have anything to do with powers of the universe..

Wanna know what Rhonda Byrne asked herself in 2006 "How can I write a book, to make a bunch of people buy it, and therefor make me lots of money?" Hence the Secret was born.. Keep in mind she was not wealthy by any means before writting that book..

If you want to know how the universe works, try reading Robert Kyosaki's Rich Dad Poor Dad, because our universe revoles around Money, and wealth. Wealth ruled the universe before Christ was born, and will continue to do so far after we have replaced christ some sort of new Deity..

I make pretty good money for mostly being locked up in my room all day. That's besides the point....figure out what to ask for, ask, believe, and if it's not completely silly, it'll happen. At least, in my experience..it's probably why praying works so well for some, and so sh!tty for others...those who have great faith in whatever they believe will have some undying trust, even in the wake of tragedy...whereas those that blame whatever "god" they believe in, tend to expect said "god" to sh!t in their wheaties when they pray for something...

I don't know about all of society, en masse, praying, to what effect it might have if it's for 1 single specific thing...no clue. I do know in my personal life that things that I ask for and believe in do happen. Maybe it's lucky coincidence. I'm not saying no effort is put out on my part to make things happen, but the effort is only as much as needed, not going overboard. For me, it's happened to those around me and myself, whether the asking is positive or negative (with me asking/believing/etc, not them).

On the flip side of the coin, it could be just me, maybe I have that much energy surrounding me, because I go through lightbulbs like candy.

• 3 weeks later...