Possibly Building New Pc

I'm thinking about spending around $1000.

So far I'm looking at
AMD Phenom II X4 Deneb 3.0ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT
Corsair 6gig DDR3 1333 (3 x 2gb) Ram
EVGA GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3
Western Digital 1TB 7200rpm HD
Plextor SATA Cd/Dvd burner
Lancool Case
Xigmatek 650w Power Supply

This would run around $900.

I'm also thinking about getting the AMD Phenom II x4 3.2ghz and EVGA GTX 275 for the extra 100.

Any ideas if this system looks good for the price, or any other upgrades you can think of, instead of spending it on the higher processing speed / video card?

Edit: I already have a moniter, mouse, keyboard.

I found a (in my opinion) better power supply for a bit cheaper. Link

Also I wouldn't recommend paying the extra for a .2 higher clock speed, you could easily overclock (if you were so inclined) the 3.0 to 3.2 (and much farther) in all of 20 minutes, and it would probably only add 1-2 C to your temps, if that.

Also are you purchasing a heat sink for the CPU or using the stock one? (Not particularly reccomended, but doable)

And as far as GTX 275 over 260, unless you were running on resolution higher than 1680x1050 you won't notice much increase in performance, not worth the $100 to me, but your rig would stay slightly more current slightly longer.

The only other suggestion/option I have would be 2 x 500g HDD's in a RAID array, you could get better performance, or go for redundancy. I just don't like 1TB drives, too much information to be lost in the event of failure.

your never gonna use more than 4 gigs o ram, unless your programming in c and make a terrible pointer error....

at any rate, i like the setup besides that...i wouldnt really worry to much about the added clock speed, save a little money and get a nicer heatsink and overclock (what hobbs said)

with your leftover money you could get some nice things to have, tv tuner, card reader, another hard drive....something cool like that.

want to know why they call it raid0? because thats the amount f data you will have left. unless you are getting a legit raid card (antec, lsi, etc) fakeraid, biosraid, and software raid is trash. youll still get the performance of a raid0 with most cards in raid1. as for PSUs fsp or nothing http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817104058

i was worried about the xig psu, but the newegg reviews were extremely positive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817815001

the ram is pretty decent priced and the mobo can handle it, so i figured why not.

im actually running 1920x1080 right now. thinking about getting a second 23" monitor also.

what heatsinks would you guys recommend?

Mate let me get back from uni, in 4 hours and I'll spec you up a pc. Are you willing to overclock? Also just for more build ideas would you be intersted in an intel CPU and an ati gfx card

I'm cool with looking at various options. I don't have my heart set on anything yet.

I've never really overclocked, but if the temperature doesn't become an issue, i'd Oc a bit

If the ram is a good price go for it, but I just found this out (not sure if you know) 32-bit systems can only handle 3 gigs, and any more than 3 gigs you have to get vista-64 bit. So just consider that if your running xp/vista 32-bit, your wasting 3 gigs of ram.

well, id be running 64bit xp2, and ubuntu on it.

need to figure out how well the video card works with wine before i switch over to ubuntu altogether

QUOTE (Hooka_bears @ May 7 2009, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the ram is a good price go for it, but I just found this out (not sure if you know) 32-bit systems can only handle 3 gigs, and any more than 3 gigs you have to get vista-64 bit. So just consider that if your running xp/vista 32-bit, your wasting 3 gigs of ram.

untrue, with out PAE you cant index more than 4 gigs of memory (ram, graphics, isa) either way both intel and amd are all 64bit now

atm for the price both intel and AMDs mainstream Qcores are on equal biddinngs in each price range.

though i7 is a lot more rape lol, and high end dual cores, intel has, but mid to low end dual cores, AMD sweeps the ground.

here are 2:

(remember the rebates smile.gif)

i7 would last a hell of a lot longer and is over your budget inc rebates by about $40

i frogot to taek out the fans for the C2Q build. thats another $30 saved Edited by shaffaaf27

so the intels last longer, but run slower in terms of relative price? (assuming no OC? or...)

also how helpful will the cpu fans be. 50 bucks over isn't that big of a deal. im gonna go to a local (huge) computer fair next week and see what theyll price the builds at.

mate please dotn knock till you have tried.

I build lots of systems for some money ont he side, and i have used that foxcon board before, been about 4 months in its fine for a mate. can do SLI and crossfireX. its a brilliant overclocker, and yeah normally i use samsung, but for 1TB, their drives are failing badly, so i use WD for 1TB. i couldnt belive in the US that the black edition drives are soo cheap, its fantastic. they are very quick drives and solidly built.

ATM, check the benchies, and in games you will see that the Q9550 (2.83GHz) from intel is as powerfull as an 955 X4 (3.2GHz) AMD. the intel will without a sweat overclock to 3.6-3.8GHz, and thats the same story witht the AMD. therefoer if the intel is faster at stock speeds, and both overclock to the same speed, the intel will be faster overclocked.

though if you are doing video encoding more than gaming, do choose the AMD, as they do rape intel there.

hell i have had components go bad on me allt he time, its part of the game biggrin.gif but i dont discount a companies components due to 1 bad failure. if there is a lot of failures in a sertain time period, than yes, otherwise, if i discounted companies to due to one thing, i dont think id be able to build a PC again biggrin.gif

ok i just personally think that antec and seagate mate better products. ive had 2 WD drives and both died in under 1.5 years. could be just me. also its not performance per clock cycle, because in that case hed be getting a 12mhz ARM processor. its performance per dollar. also the 955 is about 20$ cheaper not that that much matters. also if you are gaming you want a highend dual core since most games wont use all 4 cores. lastly sli/crossfire is a waste of money

antec do make some very good cases, as to why i included it in the i7 build smile.gif. personally i find seagates very loud, but then again i could have had a bad batch, plus seagates are very expensivwe in the UK, vs samsung and WD.

thats true what you say about performance per dollar, and then you can include the mobo cost, if you want a decent 790FX OCing mobo from AMD you have to spend about $130, where as you dont with the intel P45 chipset.

though i liek both companies, i am not a fanboy (well i do prefer ASUS to another mobo manufacturer, due to the BIOS biggrin.gif) i just look for best bang for buck smile.gif

this is my build:

Edited by shaffaaf27

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Scoop @ May 6 2009, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm thinking about spending around $1000.

So far I'm looking at
AMD Phenom II X4 Deneb 3.0ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT
Corsair 6gig DDR3 1333 (3 x 2gb) Ram
EVGA GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3
Western Digital 1TB 7200rpm HD
Plextor SATA Cd/Dvd burner
Lancool Case
Xigmatek 650w Power Supply

This would run around $900.

I'm also thinking about getting the AMD Phenom II x4 3.2ghz and EVGA GTX 275 for the extra 100.

Any ideas if this system looks good for the price, or any other upgrades you can think of, instead of spending it on the higher processing speed / video card?

Edit: I already have a moniter, mouse, keyboard.

I say forget the corsair ram and pick up Kingston Hyper X

Also why Amd, when you can get quad core which is especially helpful for gaming. Not to mention the fact that you can balance the load of which subprocessor does what task by installinh different types of progs on different HDD's.

Thumbs up on the WD HDD though

I would probably get a bit more power and then get a board to run dual vid cards, that way you might utilize all of that memory [possibly]