Starting Coals In A Toaster

QUOTE (maestroelite @ Apr 9 2009, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but unless you were going to suspend the coal somehow you might want to avoid spring that sends the toast back up after its done - last thing you want is hot coals flying through your house.

My thoughts exactly.... INCOMING!

I only ask one thing..... Video tape your speech to your landlord when you blow out all the wiring by short circuiting and burning up the toaster....... The guy who lives downstairs from me did something not that different from what you're suggesting and I missed him explaining it to both the fire department and the landlord. Though I did hear my landlords view of the several thousand dollars it took to rewire the entire apartment.

'Rani

i kinda wanna go buy a shitty toaster with a high wattage. and dont some surge protectors also work the other way? i.e. wont trip the breaker if the toaster messes up?

hmmm... now i'm thinking about the shisha heater things again and how a toaster might be modified...

My thoughts exactly, Eternal.

See, my current toaster actually has two aluminum plates which come together and act to suspend the bread between the elements. I also think this protects from getting electrocuted if tongs or a fork is used. The problem is, it's an expensive toaster and I don't want to use it for this experiment. I think I will hit some garage sales this weekend to try to find a junky toaster to use.

I am concerned about the heat issue. Coals will heat up much hotter than a piece of toast. And I'm not worried about shorting out my wiring. That's what breakers are for. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Canon @ Apr 13 2009, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why not try and use an easy bake oven?

Isn't an easy bake oven just a 60wt or 100wt incandescent bulb? It might get hot enough, but it will take forever.

Hmmm... I should try lighting coals on a Source 4 (theater lighting instrument). They use a 750wt lamp that instantly gets too hot to touch. If I could smoke at the theater, this is totally how I would light coals.

QUOTE (willbb123 @ Apr 13 2009, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't an easy bake oven just a 60wt or 100wt incandescent bulb? It might get hot enough, but it will take forever.

Hmmm... I should try lighting coals on a Source 4 (theater lighting instrument). They use a 750wt lamp that instantly gets too hot to touch. If I could smoke at the theater, this is totally how I would light coals.

youre probably using 500w more than you need....

QUOTE (GNUWorldOrder @ Apr 13 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (willbb123 @ Apr 13 2009, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

youre probably using 500w more than you need....