Sports - What Is And What Isn't?

Dr. B

anything you can do while drinking a beer is not a sport.
golf - not a sport
football - sport
bowling - not a sport
baseball - sport
skateboarding - sport...or not if you want to die
dying - not a sport

most importantly, watching any of these on your couch drinking beer is not a sport.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ilikemyusername @ Mar 16 2009, 07:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
golf - not a sport
football - sport
bowling - not a sport
baseball - sport
dying - not a sport

most importantly, watching any of these on your couch drinking beer is not a sport.

I highly disagree about bowling there.... try bowling 20+ games a day for 3 days in tournaments.... tell me thats not tiring

Edit- Also, trying to read oil patterns and have you ever bowled Baker games? That makes bowling a very team oriented sport.

QUOTE (ryno @ Mar 16 2009, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ilikemyusername @ Mar 16 2009, 07:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
golf - not a sport
football - sport
bowling - not a sport
baseball - sport
dying - not a sport

I highly disagree about bowling there.... try bowling 20+ games a day for 3 days in tournaments.... tell me thats not tiring

Edit- Also, trying to read oil patterns and have you ever bowled Baker games? That makes bowling a very team oriented sport.

well, its a game when i "play" it.

• 2 weeks later...
Poker, as much as I love it, should not be considered a sport. It is a mental game. There are odds involved, and good calls and folds, but you don't have to be in any sort of real physical shape to play the game.

Soccer, on the other hand, is definitely a sport. I don't care if you don't like watching because millions of others around the world are watching. Go play a full 90 minute match and tell me how you feel the next day! tongue.gif

Anyway, the way that I define a sport is if you have to stay in relatively good physical shape to perform. Tiger Woods is an excellent example of why, grudgingly, I call golf a sport. Woods exercises regularly to avoid injury in a very muscle intensive sport. Tennis is also a sport. Pros like Nadal and Federer strive to stay at their peak by exercising intensively over the course of a season. Motorsports like rally racing and NASCAR are sports. Drivers must maintain a decent weight so the impact on their vehicles is close to nil. Believe me, a 300 pound person is definitely going to affect the way a car handles compared to a 190 pound person, which is why the whole women in Indy and F1 racing became a hot subject for a while.

Besides poker, bowling, only in my opinion, I do not define as a sport.

I'm sorry but I've resisted temptation long enough........

Baseball - Not a sport unless you're on the field otherwise it's an excuse to sit in the bleachers and drink beer;
Footall - Not a sport unless you're on the field otherwise it's an excuse to sit on the couch in front of the TV and drink beeer;
Golf - Not a sport - it's an excuse to walk in the park and drink beer;
Fishing - Not a sport - it's an excuse to sit in a boat and drink beer;
Tennis - Not a sport until you're on the court otherwise it's an excuse to drink beer out of sheer boredom;
Swimming - Not a sport, the water just encourages you to drink more beer;
Track and Field - Not a sport unless you're running (down the street with somebody's purse doesn't count) otherwise it's an excuse to run to the fridge and get more beer, however, running from the cops after too much beer should count as a sport;
NASCAR - Not a sport, but an excuse to have beer while driving. Why else do they put Budweiser on the side of the car? Duh!
Bowling - Definitely not a sport, but who cares? There's always a bar right next door, so there will definitely be beer.

I could go on, but I think I've proved my poiint and therefore I can say from a woman's point of view, there really are no sports. There is only beer.

'Rani

• 1 month later...
Golf is possibly the most skill laden activity that one could endeavor to conquer. The physical aspects are there, they are just so slight that, if you do not know them or cannot visibly recognize them with a naked eye, you would assume they do not exist.

Beyond the self limitations imposed on each individuals in the approximate 70-100 different strokes one needs on a course, the amount of external factors [nature accounts for most, not even mentioning the other players] one has to calculate on any given stroke is immensely astounding. I would call it a sport because i have played all of the other majors and it involves the same intensity, focus, physical consistency[if not more than the others] drive, and perserverance. If you call a mlb pitcher an athlete[ and MANY of them are grossly overweight] then golfers are definitely athletes; because they have EASILY 20 times the info to factor in for each stroke than the pitcher does for each pitch.

I could argue this the other way as well, as i have before. But upon pondering the biomechanics demanded by golf, it is one of the most complex physical activities a person could do. And to think people do it for leisure is a huge paradox of sorts. Edited by beachkidcb

The only thing that I consider a sport is football...and I'm talking real American football, not that soccer crapola [j/k, I just really think soccer is boring and too slow paced].

ah ha futbol [soccer] is about 20 times more physically demanding than american football...

How many fat guys you see in futbol on a field that cant run in reverse or laterally, or for less than 15 yards without keeling over?

Go out and play pick up football or futbol in competitive game, and tell me which is more demanding and skill based.

Lol i admit that and i hardly played any soccer in my life, but i grew up with football, basketball, swimming. Edited by beachkidcb

American football is extremely more demanding OVERALL, people seem to forget that there are many different positions, each requiring a seperate set of skills. Maybe some positions do not meet the physical demands of soccer, but most do and even rise above those demands. The MAIN thing for soccer is stamina, you don't take any hits at an often enough basis to have it be a large enough part of the game, where as in football, you do, adding an entirely different aspect to the game.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (USFBULL3039 @ Jun 1 2009, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tend to throw Golf and Bowling into the hobby category instead of sports, you cannot win in golf, you can only play it. The same goes for bowling as well

That's not entirely true... A perfect game in Bowling is a 300...A perfect series is 900... If you get that high of a score, you automatically win (and are pretty much a bad ass)...

In golf, the best score you can have (for 18 holes) is 18... If you can get that low of a score, you automatically win (and are an extreme bad ass)...

totally agree in every way OP
while nascar is hard, its not a sport.

i also dont think that cheerleading or dancing is a sport but i get shit trashed anytime i say it

im not denying the insane athletic requirements to do any of the listed but because someone else determines whether or not you won, and that you cant physically change the outcome of the competition, just doing better doesnt mean you can change the outcome a judge is a judge is a judge and they all have opinions and no matter what they say it always gets factored in. you cant score points by acheiving a goal, you can do your best and hope the judges recognize your skill thats it.

QUOTE (USFBULL3039 @ Jun 1 2009, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tend to throw Golf and Bowling into the hobby category instead of sports, you cannot win in golf, you can only play it. The same goes for bowling as well

If you can keep score like you do in both those I would say its a sport... One person can beat the other and it is still something physical and both require ALOT more skill than people think.

When I'm bowling, I'm constantly making adjustments in my hand, feet, release, mark (where I'm aiming at), ball changes, lane conditons (which is a shit ton) etc.. If you've never bowled competitively, you will never understand how much actually goes into bowling. Also, try having to bowl 20+ games a day in a tournament. Bowling... 100%mental, 25%physical.. and yes I know thats more than 100%

QUOTE (tinyj316 @ Jun 1 2009, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (USFBULL3039 @ Jun 1 2009, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In golf, the best score you can have (for 18 holes) is 18... If you can get that low of a score, you automatically win (and are an extreme bad ass)...

What about mini golf??? tongue.gif