Sports - What Is And What Isn't?

Dr. B

After having an arduous discussion about whether NASCAR is or is not a sport, we in the chat decided it would be best to settle this in a thread.

What qualifies an activity as a sport? What makes an activity simply a game?

I contend a sport requires:
-Competition
-Rules
-Atheltic ability (in some sense)
-An objective scoring system - typically point-based
-A Winner decided by points

This isn't necessarily about NASCAR (which I say IS a sport, despite how I don't enjoy watching it). What activities do Yall think are sports? Are not sports? Why?

discuss

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (joytron @ Mar 6 2009, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sports require getting out of your chair.

Nascar does not

cat chasing does

/thread

(05:16 PM) joytron - yes! and that was my point all along (05:16 PM) joytron - and that is exaclty why NASCAR isnt a sport (05:16 PM) alive - no circle jerk (05:16 PM) alive - ok (05:16 PM) alive - i conceed. (05:16 PM) joytron - /thread tell Dr. B the terrible news (05:17 PM) alive - they MAY however, do it before hand in the garages (05:17 PM) alive - so im afraid we may never know (05:17 PM) joytron - ohh no! (05:17 PM) joytron - it would only make sense! (05:17 PM) alive - shit it may be a sport (05:17 PM) joytron - and that decides which car goes first (05:17 PM) alive - exactly (05:17 PM) alive - you hold out the longest, bam, first place (05:17 PM) joytron - its like rock paper scissors in your pants (05:18 PM) alive - then you and skippy the cat chase the other cats in the other cars (05:18 PM) alive - it all falls into place (05:18 PM) joytron - and the universe is once again at peace if (shoutbox.skip_js != true) { shoutbox.shouts_fade([324464]); } (05:18 PM) joytron - bcause nascar is a sport if (shoutbox.skip_js != true) { shoutbox.shouts_fade([324465]); } (05:18 PM) joytron - and by sport i mean a circle jerking cat chasing past time if (shoutbox.skip_js != true) { shoutbox.shouts_fade([324466]); } (05:18 PM) joytron - of the american variety

I think you guys fail to realize how difficult nascar is. The amount of angle on the turns is ridiculous you would have a hard time walking up the track. Plus it gets really hot and it is really strenuous to maintain that kind of speed for such a long time. It isn't my favorite kind of racing but it is a sport.

It requires great skill, yes, but I'd contend it is not a sport in the sense the Football or something is a sport. However, by your definition Dr. B, wouldn't that make any time based sport not a sport? Or would you word time as a point system?

Time would be a factor of the rules of the game. For example: The winner of a game of football is determined by comparing the number of points each team earns within a given time period.

Can you give me an example of an activity in which a winner is determined solely by time that is without a point system or a system in which points, not necessarily victories, are assessed based on time?

QUOTE (voski @ Mar 6 2009, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you guys fail to realize how difficult nascar is. The amount of angle on the turns is ridiculous you would have a hard time walking up the track. Plus it gets really hot and it is really strenuous to maintain that kind of speed for such a long time. It isn't my favorite kind of racing but it is a sport.

that amount of angle in the turns makes it easier. and the time thing really isnt a factor, ive been for 13 hours straight with only 1 or 2 stops for gas. yeah i was going 200mph but i had to deal with getting correct exits, idiots on the road, watching for police, etc.

QUOTE (Dr. B @ Mar 6 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Time would be a factor of the rules of the game. For example: The winner of a game of football is determined by comparing the number of points each team earns within a given time period.

Can you give me an example of an activity in which a winner is determined solely by time that is without a point system or a system in which points, not necessarily victories, are assessed based on time?

olympic swimming.

QUOTE (Dr. B @ Mar 6 2009, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you serious? Many sports are based on time values and have no point system. Swimming, Rowing, Running, Luge, etc...

QUOTE (Dr. B @ Mar 6 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After having an arduous discussion about whether NASCAR is or is not a sport, we in the chat decided it would be best to settle this in a thread.

What qualifies an activity as a sport? What makes an activity simply a game?

I contend a sport requires:
-Competition
-Rules
-Atheltic ability (in some sense)
-An objective scoring system - typically point-based
-A Winner decided by points

This isn't necessarily about NASCAR (which I say IS a sport, despite how I don't enjoy watching it). What activities do Yall think are sports? Are not sports? Why?

discuss

When I was a student, a friend and I, among others, had this same conversation/debate. He defined a "sport" as: an activity that requires the ability to "score" points and the opportunity to defend against being "scored" upon. His definition seems to me more objective that one that requires us to define a host of other terms, like "athletic ability," or "competition." He has, it seems, just reduced your definition to the essential characteristic of a point-accumulative activity in which a player can defend against your attempts.

Also, while he admitted other possible classifications, he sees as distinguished sports, races, judged competitions, like figure skating or diving, and games, which have objective rule sets but no subjective judging, like golf.

His definition seems simple, irreducible, and further, as I said, uncomplicated by not involving other hard-to-define qualities (e.g. "athletic ability," or "competition").

QUOTE (jellywerker @ Mar 6 2009, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Dr. B @ Mar 6 2009, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you serious? Many sports are based on time values and have no point system. Swimming, Rowing, Running, Luge, etc...

Although the OP can speak for himself, I believe he was challenging the expansiveness with which we use the term "sport." So, pointing out "sports" that lack a point system begs the question - it assumes (or, in this case offers as a counterexample) the thing we're trying to prove.

Defining "sport," however we do, doesn't diminish the value, talent required, or skill required, by other activities we call "sports," but might not be, like NASCAR racing. As a racing enthusiast (not NASCAR, more street...tsk, I know, and 1/4 mile), I can still appreciate the skill required of professional race car drivers. Reframing the definition of "sport" doesn't change that. It just changes whether we can appropriately call that activity a "sport," nothing more really.

Somewhat on topic, has anyone seen Bigger Stronger Faster?

QUOTE (indian_villager @ Mar 6 2009, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can we at least agree that there should be no such thing as a "cyber athlete"

but but...i win a halo game with points right? and i train to be better at it some when i play right?

guitar hero is a sport though right? cause you stand when you play and what not..

According to dictionary.com:

Sport: an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

....that's is the official definition...but I disagree. Golf, and bowling are games, fishing and hunting are just activities.

I don't know how you would categorize a certain activity as a sport. I definitely think racing is a sport though...all kinds Nascar, Formula 1, Moto GP, motorcross, all of them...I say this because not everyone can race. Best example is Moto GP and Formula 1, average joe can't hop on that bike or car and keep up, or even finish a lap in a decent time if he finishes at all. And Nascar drivers may not have to do insane turns or do many gas, brake, gas sets but they do have crazy endurance..imagine going 200 mph for 500 miles. That is insane.

-Evo

If you dont think racing is a sport try driving a NHRA car (prostock, funny car, topfuel, topfuel bike hell even procomp or supercomp) It WILL change your mind when you pull 3-4gs off the line and -3 to -4 gs when u release the parachute it takes a lot of skill just to not pass out. Also Rally, going 120+ on a 10ft wide rode with trees on both sides takes SKILL i dont care who you are.

QUOTE (Will_Evo @ Mar 7 2009, 03:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sport: an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

....that's is the official definition...but I disagree. Golf, and bowling are games, fishing and hunting are just activities.

I don't know how you would categorize a certain activity as a sport. I definitely think racing is a sport though...all kinds Nascar, Formula 1, Moto GP, motorcross, all of them...I say this because not everyone can race. Best example is Moto GP and Formula 1, average joe can't hop on that bike or car and keep up, or even finish a lap in a decent time if he finishes at all. And Nascar drivers may not have to do insane turns or do many gas, brake, gas sets but they do have crazy endurance..imagine going 200 mph for 500 miles. That is insane.

-Evo

So, then, for something to be considered a sport, it must simply be a sort of activity that not everyone can do? That seem way too expansive.

QUOTE (cotsi95 @ Mar 7 2009, 03:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you dont think racing is a sport try driving a NHRA car (prostock, funny car, topfuel, topfuel bike hell even procomp or supercomp) It WILL change your mind when you pull 3-4gs off the line and -3 to -4 gs when u release the parachute it takes a lot of skill just to not pass out. Also Rally, going 120+ on a 10ft wide rode with trees on both sides takes SKILL i dont care who you are.

I don't think racing (of probably any sort) is a sport, but that doesn't diminish the fact that to do so, to race, requires a tremendous amount of skill. More simply, that some task requires skill does not, for me, mean it is a sport. That, to me, too, seems overly expansive a definition.

QUOTE (jellywerker @ Mar 7 2009, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (newjacksm @ Mar 6 2009, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sport: Football

Suck a dick.

Incorrect way to disagree

QUOTE (erufiku @ Mar 7 2009, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (newjacksm @ Mar 6 2009, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sport: Football Soccer

None Sports: Everythingelse

George Carlin Baseball vs Football
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXacL0Uny0

Fixed.

Correct way to disagree.

2 day vacation for jelly

QUOTE (judgeposer @ Mar 7 2009, 02:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (cotsi95 @ Mar 7 2009, 03:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think racing (of probably any sort) is a sport, but that doesn't diminish the fact that to do so, to race, requires a tremendous amount of skill. More simply, that some task requires skill does not, for me, mean it is a sport. That, to me, too, seems overly expansive a definition.

I agree, I think that the definition of a sport is to expansive as well , but we may need to truly define some of the words used to describe it, aka. Skill and Physical prowess.

Skill- the ability, coming from one's knowledge, practice, aptitude, etc., to do something well

Physical(I think we know the physical part) Prowess-exceptional or superior ability, skill, or strength

So then by definition, an activity needs to be athletic(involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina),be able to be practiced or rehearsed, have the ability to be skilled, have the ability to be better than the guy next to you, and you must be able to win for it to be a sport.

Unfortunately, as said before, this is much to expansive for the average Joe to accept. A person has to justify whatever it is they are doing in order for winning to be worth anything. The one activity that always comes up is cheer leading. If you talk to a cheer leader they will almost always put up an argument that it is a sport. Why does it have to be a sport? Why is calling it something else(Not necessarily less) so offensive? I'd say because we in today's society are by nature extremely competitive..we are taught from kindergarten with rewards, gifts, or favors for doing good, and if we do better than everyone else, it usually yields bigger better rewards. Remember in Kindergarten..you'd get a sticker or a star by your name for doing well, or not misbehaving. The word sport is what gives an activity meaning, makes an ordinary unnecessary activity into a challenge and what separates it from say getting a star for being good. Gives whatever it is you are doing a meaning, a purpose, if you take away that purpose, the people would just stop doing it...it would become a game. Also, a reason I believe people who play for example football, get so defensive when people call racing or golf a sport, is because by labeling them as the same thing, it takes away from their sport to some degree. So maybe people are not so defensive about the ability...really they are defensive about the word describing it.

Going by the definition, chess, cards, board games, computer games are all not sports(Unless for some reason you are playing a version that requires strength, agility, or endurance.), Where as racing is a sport, as well as golf, and swimming.

I dont like the definition, I still dont consider golf a sport.

-Evo

Poker takes LOADS of endurance. It may not take much athletic ability but I doubt the average person could play for 36 hours straight, at a high level, like the top pros

OK since I was part of the original discussion I should add my 2 cents.
IMO a sport requires a physical action if there is none, that I define it as a GAME. Examples
CHESS= Game
Football=Sport
Nascar=Game
Golf= If your ride in a cart (game) If you walk carrying your bag (sport)
Twister= Both

In closing I would like to say that there is only one true sport in this world. Dominated by one country, specifically one team
FC BAYERN MUNCHEN
THat sport only requires this:
Edited by fcbayern