Blood Orange/pineapple Shisha

tinyj316

So tonight I decided to make my own batch of shisha... This is 100% organic, and stands to be improved upon, but so far, is showing promise...

Ingredients:

3 pouches of Natural American Spirit 100% organic rolling tobacco
Organic blue agave nectar (replaces honey/molasses)
Organic vegetable glycerin
1 pound of organic blood oranges
1 cup of organic pineapple, diced
1 cup of organic orange juice

Process:

1) First I emptied all three pouches into a big bowl and ran some water into the bowl... not a whole lot, just enough to get it good and damp.

2) Once the water was mixed in with the baccy, i scooped it all into a ball and squeezed as much of the water out of it as I could. This was then spread out in a pan to dry a bit while I prepped the fruit.

3) In a large bowl I squeezed the juice out of the pound of blood oranges and took the rest of the fruit and put it into a saucepan on the stove

4) I peeled and diced up about a cup of pineapple. I squeezed a lot of juice out of the pineapple and put it into the bowl with the blood orange juice, then put the rest of the fruit into the saucepan

5) Add 1 cup of regular orange juice to the blood orange/pineapple juice, stir this up and set it aside

6) Simmer down the fruit in the sauce pan until its nice and tender, then scoop this out and put it into another vessel. Pour the juice into the pot and reduce this down as low as you can to get the water out of it.

6.5) Preheat the oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit

7) Combine the fruit (not the liquid) with the tobacco and mix it really well.

8) Add agave and glycerine to get a decent consistency. It will be pretty wet at this point... don't worry...

9) Spread the mixture out in a 9x13 baking sheet, relatively thin....make sure its all covered

10) Pour liquid over the mixture as uniformly as you can, then put it in the oven for 15-20 minutes to bake out the excess moisture from the fruit. (keep an eye on it, as you don't want to bake it too long!)

11) Remove from the oven and stir the newly made shisha up to get a decent consistency/mix in the remaining juices on the dry parts. Let cool.

12) Acclimate it for a little while to get over the humidity shock of going through the oven

13) ????

14) PROFIT!

Ok, since my computer fucked up before I could finish what I was going to say...

Here are some pictures of the session... I think I need to let it acclimate for a little while longer, but the flavors are there...I'll let you guys know tomorrow how it is after a bit more time in the open

QUOTE (cotsi95 @ Feb 24 2009, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
where are the pics?!

Here they are... I had a power surge while uploading...apparently the attachments box hates me at the moment...

[attachment=3099:finalproduct.jpg]
[attachment=3100:smallphu...odorange.jpg]
[attachment=3101:econoqtwithcoals.jpg]
[attachment=3102:smokeorg...odorange.jpg]

QUOTE (click @ Feb 24 2009, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (SuburbanSmoker @ Feb 24 2009, 01:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sounds interesting, you should look for an alternative tobacco to start with though.

What do you recommend?

I'm interested to know as well... I'm not a big fan of herbals... I'd rather do an organic shisha than herbal...

What's the difference between the two? Assuming they are both organic, they should just be different cuts of the same thing. Granted you might want to play around with the strain of tobacco, but I don't get how shredded tobacco would be any different from whole leaf?

You could try plain Desi Murli from Hookah1.com, or maybe an unflavored pipe tobacco from your local smoke shop. The pipe tobacco would probably be better, because Desi has the consistency of potting soil.

This sounds like a fun little project. I might try my hand at it one of these days.